Discussion for 2013 freelance translator virtual conference session (2013): Zombie Contracts 101 – How to prepare for the invasion

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for 2013 freelance translator virtual conference session (2013): Zombie Contracts 101 – How to prepare for the invasion".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:34
English to Polish
+ ...
Regarding the QA Sep 25, 2013

Hi, guys. Regarding the Q&A session, yes, it really is going to be text only. The official Q&A will start when the presentation ends and probably last about 15 minutes, but I'll be around to answer text questions before that time, so you can just go ahead and type your question as we go, before you forget. If it's something that I'm going to be talking about at more length later, I'll just ask you to keep watching. It will also be possible for me to answer questions after the Q&A session ends, and I'll try to answer all of them, so don't worry about the time.

Also, it's okay to ask questions before the presentation too.

[Edited at 2013-09-25 12:58 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:34
English to Polish
+ ...
For those who want to prepare yourselves Sep 25, 2013

The presentation is going to be a little intense, as the script contains almost 10K words, and the text that's going to appear on the screen is only a little shorter. I will really be going through what's essentially the full structure of a contract with various pitfalls awaiting at each of the stops, and that's really going to take some time (the original 1 hour will probably need to be extended by another half, if not more).

While I've been careful to go down easy on you, but if you prefer to have some additional prep (for example to be able to focus on my tips and practical problems instead of trying to figure out the basics), you may want to read up a bit on contract structure at Wikipedia and follow the most important links – especially if you don't do legal translation that involves English (even if you're a native speaker).

For examples of what we're going to talk about look here: old forum thread.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for 2013 freelance translator virtual conference session (2013): Zombie Contracts 101 – How to prepare for the invasion

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search