K. Ganly (X)
K. Ganly (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
French to English
+ ...
May 8, 2009

Hello All,

I am looking for advice for Arabic script software for Mac- preferably a way of using the script within MS Word. When i type at the moment, the characters appear but remain in isolation and do not join up to each other, which is, of course, of no use to me.

Normally i just use Text Edit for typing Arabic, as it works fine there - however, i was hoping for a way of using MS Word successfully as the formatting options are better.

I use a Macbook w
... See more
Hello All,

I am looking for advice for Arabic script software for Mac- preferably a way of using the script within MS Word. When i type at the moment, the characters appear but remain in isolation and do not join up to each other, which is, of course, of no use to me.

Normally i just use Text Edit for typing Arabic, as it works fine there - however, i was hoping for a way of using MS Word successfully as the formatting options are better.

I use a Macbook with Leopard OS, i do not have it partitioned and do not employ windows on the Mac.

Any advice much appreciated.
Katharine
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Arabic keyboard May 8, 2009

Have a look at:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/arabic.html#mac

and see if the information there is of any use to you.

There should be no problem typing Arabic – if there is try OpenOffice or NeoOffice.

K. Ganly (X)
K. Ganly (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
link May 9, 2009

Thank you Robert- it seems a very useful link so i am going to explore it.

I dont have any problems with setting up the Arabic keyboard- that seems to work fine- or even setting RTL within word, and typing, but the characters just dont join...It seems i may have to move to Openoffice or something similar, by the looks of it.

In any case, there is loads of info on the site, so will take a look and see what seems most appropriate from there- looks like i might find some
... See more
Thank you Robert- it seems a very useful link so i am going to explore it.

I dont have any problems with setting up the Arabic keyboard- that seems to work fine- or even setting RTL within word, and typing, but the characters just dont join...It seems i may have to move to Openoffice or something similar, by the looks of it.

In any case, there is loads of info on the site, so will take a look and see what seems most appropriate from there- looks like i might find some new fonts as well-!
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Office 2008 May 10, 2009

As of Office 2008, integration with the native Apple RTL behaviors had not been implemented.

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/keyboards/macrtl.html#wp

Seems to be quite a key statement.

Rebecca_M
Rebecca_M
Arabic to English
Arabic and MAC dont mix! Jul 25, 2010

I recently switched to using a MAC and experience this exact same problem. I also found that the characters only connect when using TextEdit and that occasionally Arabic text typed in TextEdit can be successfully pasted into Pages, however, this text can not be edited in Pages without becoming corrupted, although you may be able to format it. I have concluded that the best option is to partition your MAC and work in Windows mode for Arabic projects.

This is another useful website o
... See more
I recently switched to using a MAC and experience this exact same problem. I also found that the characters only connect when using TextEdit and that occasionally Arabic text typed in TextEdit can be successfully pasted into Pages, however, this text can not be edited in Pages without becoming corrupted, although you may be able to format it. I have concluded that the best option is to partition your MAC and work in Windows mode for Arabic projects.

This is another useful website on this issue although there dont seem to be any real solutions for resolving the issue in MAC-mode:

http://www.smi.uib.no/ksv/ArabicMac.html

Hope this helps!

[Edited at 2010-07-25 13:10 GMT]
Collapse

Sorour
Sorour
Local time: 22:57
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic in MS Office and MAC dont mix! Oct 11, 2010

Arabic supported by MAC, but not By MS office, use NeoOffice (open Office for mac) or TextEdit.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Arabic Script (for MS Word 2008) for MAC

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »