Unicode migration test
Thread poster: Andrew Wright

Andrew Wright
United States
Local time: 02:49
English
Jan 26, 2006

Forum goers,

Since the Romanian forum has the best acceptance of unicode we're going to be testing Unicode as the default character encoding here. For the most part, you will probably not notice the difference since you seem to have been working mostly in unicode lately.

The main thing to watch out for is using text from a document that is not in Unicode. If the page tries to change the encoding the unicode it will become garbled. If you run into any problems with this in practice let me know and I'll see what I can do.

In the mean time I will be working on a way to view older posts not in unicode without having to fuss with your browser's encoding settings.

Andrew Wright
ProZ.com Staff

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Unicode test Jan 26, 2006

Dear Andrew,

I’m glad you decided to test the Unicode on the Romanian forum. I have changed the settings of my browser (Firefox 1.0.7) to default (Auto Detect - Universal) and when opening a Romanian forum the encoding automatically shifts to Unicode. That’s great because people who find it difficult to manually change the settings won’t have to bother about it anymore.

I have also tried Internet Explorer 6. It works fine, too.

Andrew Wright
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Quick request Jan 26, 2006

I have a quick question for everyone. I'm writing a tool to handle the proper display of single byte character sets after a unicode migration and I can optimize it better if I know what character sets have been used in the past. Even the ones that are only used occasionally or rarely would help, since I am trying to make this as inclusive as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Wright

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Previously used encodings Jan 26, 2006

Hi Andrew,

Before deciding to shift to Unicode we used Central European Windows (IE&Opera)/Romanian (Firefox). Other colleagues who did not use diacritics used the default encoding, which I think it was (and still is) Western European Windows.

I hope this is the information you needed.

Valentin Alupoaie  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 09:49
English to Romanian
+ ...
Right ! Jan 26, 2006

Mihai is right. I think there's been some Central European ISO as well.

Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
Question for the site staff Jan 27, 2006

Is there any chance the migration to Unicode be also implemented for the glossaries any time soon? This would really help with our queries.

Thanks.

Andrew Wright
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Glossaries will be done eventually Jan 30, 2006

Valentin Alupoaie wrote:

Is there any chance the migration to Unicode be also implemented for the glossaries any time soon? This would really help with our queries.

Thanks.

Eventually we would like to have the entirety of the site migrated to unicode, which obviously includes the glossaries. However, the primary functions of the site (jobs, forum, kudoz) are the first priorities in these preliminary tests. We'll try to get to the secondary functions as soon as we can.

Andrew Wright

Andrew Wright
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Quick check Jan 30, 2006

Anyone encounter any problems with posting or editing posts so far? I'm assuming not since no one's mentioned anything, but I figured I'd check.

Andrew Wright

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
everything looks fine so far Jan 31, 2006

Hello, Andrew.

So far everything is fine.

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 08:49
German to Romanian
+ ...
Thanks for your efforts Feb 2, 2006

What I appreciate ... from what I could see, pages in the Romanian forum are updated to Unicode, but when I leave them, my Encoding remains the one I used before ... which is great, since Unicode messes up all other pages I'm visiting on ProZ (for the time being)
So thanks for all the hard work you're putting in.

Andrew Wright
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
New utility Feb 2, 2006

Hello again folks,

I've just recently made available a new tool that converts old non-unicode forum topic titles and posts into unicode with a little help from the viewer.

You should see a small icon next to the first title when viewing a topic, and a text link at the end of a given forum post. Clicking those will bring you to a dailogue asking for a little help determining which charactr set the text originated in, I tried to make it pretty self explanatory but if someone needs any explanation just ask.

Side notes:

* Moderators have the added ability to mark topic titles as not needing any conversion to unicode. This can be done via another small icon next to the first topic title when viewing a topic.

* Not all languages have a list of associated encodings yet. In fact, most of them don't. So if you select a language and no character sets come up for it just select the "None of these work" option and I'll be alerted to it.

If this works out we should be able to use this same method in other forums as well.

Thanks for the big help!

Andrew Wright

Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
More than one of these works. Feb 2, 2006

Hello, Andrew.

I've tried a few older posts and the "More than one of these works" option is applicable for each of them. There are usually two versions and both are perfectly legible. Should we just choose one of them ?

Andrew Wright
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
You got it Feb 2, 2006

Valentin Alupoaie wrote:

Hello, Andrew.

I've tried a few older posts and the "More than one of these works" option is applicable for each of them. There are usually two versions and both are perfectly legible. Should we just choose one of them ?

Yes you may, I put that option in there for someone who is unfamiliar with the ideas involved in character encoding. In reality though, if it looks correct on the options page then it will convert to Unicode properly even if it's technically not that "correct" character set.

Andrew Wright

Romania
English to Romanian
+ ...
Doesn't work Feb 2, 2006

I tried it with http://www.proz.com/post/250225#250225 and the "Is the text in this post garbled? Click here" link is gone. The text is still garbled though... Same thing with the next post.

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
it worked :) Feb 3, 2006

I think you have to view the page in the encoding originally used and then click on the new tool and switch to Unicode on the conversion page. This way it worked perfectly on http://www.proz.com/post/250305#250305

Please confirm if the process is correct, Andrew.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucica Abil[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unicode migration test

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search