https://www.proz.com/forum/russian/127409-cecenian_sentence_in_russian_text.html

Cecenian sentence in Russian text
Thread poster: Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2009

Sorry to write in English but I don't know Russian. I am asking your help, even if the sentence is Cecenian, because a friend of mine found it in a Russian text she is translating.

The sentence is:

хьо нохчи вац

She assumes the meaning might be "Are you Cecenian or not?" but she isn't sure.

I would be grateful for any help or if any body might suggest whom I might address who knows Cecenian.

Thank you,
Elisa

Stanislav Korobov
Stanislav Korobov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
maybe «Ты не чеченец, что ли?» Feb 12, 2009

see http://www.novayagazeta.ru/data/2006/61/16.html (in Russian)

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It should mean^ Feb 12, 2009

“I am not Chechen”. At least this page says: «Так что первая чеченская фраза, которую следует выучить русскому на чеченском языке, звучит так: “Хо нохчи вац! Гаскхи ву!” — “Я не чеченец, я русский”.». This means: “The first phase, that a R... See more
“I am not Chechen”. At least this page says: «Так что первая чеченская фраза, которую следует выучить русскому на чеченском языке, звучит так: “Хо нохчи вац! Гаскхи ву!” — “Я не чеченец, я русский”.». This means: “The first phase, that a Russian must learn in Chechen, sounds as ‘Хо нохчи вац! Гаскхи ву!’ — ‘I am not Chechen! I am Russian!’” (However, one of the comments to that posting has a correction, stating that the above phrase means: “You are not Chechen”).

[Edited at 2009-02-12 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 12, 2009

Thank you very much to both! I'll give the information and the links you provided to my collegue, who can read Russian (but she is not on Proz, that's why I put the question for her).

Have a nice day,

Elisa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cecenian sentence in Russian text

Translation news in Russian Federation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »