Thread poster: Emily Justice
Emily Justice
Emily Justice
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:07
Russian to English
Feb 12, 2009

Hello,

Does anyone work with Wordfast? I am trying to create a new glossary from my existing Excel glossary. I cannot for the life of me get it to display as shown in the user manual, i.e. with the headings Source and Target. It just appears as a list in the one column, Russian source term followed by English target term. I tested it with a text for translation and Wordfast is not recognising words that are in my new glossary. Clearly I have not created the glossary properly, but I
... See more
Hello,

Does anyone work with Wordfast? I am trying to create a new glossary from my existing Excel glossary. I cannot for the life of me get it to display as shown in the user manual, i.e. with the headings Source and Target. It just appears as a list in the one column, Russian source term followed by English target term. I tested it with a text for translation and Wordfast is not recognising words that are in my new glossary. Clearly I have not created the glossary properly, but I followed the instructions word for word. The cyrillic must be confusing things.

Has anyone managed to successfully create a Russian > English glossary?

Thanks!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-12 13:45 GMT]
Collapse

Ekaterina Khovanovitch
Ekaterina Khovanovitch  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:07
Spanish to Russian
+ ...
Сохранять в Юникоде Feb 12, 2009

Извините, что по-русски: по-английски мне такое не осилить.

Сразу после того, как Вы создали файл глоссария при помощи программы Вордфаст, надо найти этот файл (txt) в соответствующей папке и открыть его при помощи программы Блокнот (Notepad). А потом сохранить как (Save as...) об
... See more
Извините, что по-русски: по-английски мне такое не осилить.

Сразу после того, как Вы создали файл глоссария при помощи программы Вордфаст, надо найти этот файл (txt) в соответствующей папке и открыть его при помощи программы Блокнот (Notepad). А потом сохранить как (Save as...) обычный текст (plane text) в формате Юникод (Unicode). После этого им можно будет пользоваться.

Сохранять надо пустой глоссарий.

Если по-русски не всё понятно, надеюсь, коллеги, хорошо владеющие английским, помогут.

[Редактировалось 2009-02-12 14:49 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2009-02-12 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Arkady Vysotsky
Arkady Vysotsky  Identity Verified
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Use Notepad Feb 12, 2009

Try to open your glossary in Excel, select columns A and B (where you have your source and target terms), copy and paste them to Notepad window, then save the resulting file as Unicode (in Save As dialog box, select Unicode in Encoding list).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There are lots of ways, of course Feb 13, 2009

I would do it as follows:
1. Create an empty glossary with Wordfast. Make sure to save it as Unicode (to be on the safe side, add one entry to it), refer to the manual for the procedure.
2. Open the created glossary file in Word as a text file (Word will detect, it’s a Unicode text file).
3. Open your Excel wile in, yes, Excel.
4. Select the entire contents of the Excel file and copy to the clipboard.
5. Switch to Word, use Edit → Paste
... See more
I would do it as follows:
1. Create an empty glossary with Wordfast. Make sure to save it as Unicode (to be on the safe side, add one entry to it), refer to the manual for the procedure.
2. Open the created glossary file in Word as a text file (Word will detect, it’s a Unicode text file).
3. Open your Excel wile in, yes, Excel.
4. Select the entire contents of the Excel file and copy to the clipboard.
5. Switch to Word, use Edit → Paste Special menu and paste the stuff as unformatted text.
6. Save the glossary.

Сразу после того, как Вы создали файл глоссария при помощи программы Вордфаст, надо найти этот файл (txt) в соответствующей папке и открыть его при помощи программы Блокнот (Notepad). А потом сохранить как (Save as...) обычный текст (plane text) в формате Юникод (Unicode). После этого им можно будет пользоваться.

Сохранять надо пустой глоссарий.

Екатерина, это всё, безусловно, правильно и полезно, но проблема у человека — перегнать существущий словарь из Excel в Wordfast, насколько я понимаю.
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Another way Feb 13, 2009

1. Open your Excel file in OpenOffice.org Calc (Excel does not seem to have the required functionality or it’s hidden somehow).
2. From File → Save As menu, save it as a CSV file. When saving, you will be prompted for some settings via a GUI dialog:
2.1. For Character set, choose Unicode.... See more
1. Open your Excel file in OpenOffice.org Calc (Excel does not seem to have the required functionality or it’s hidden somehow).
2. From File → Save As menu, save it as a CSV file. When saving, you will be prompted for some settings via a GUI dialog:
2.1. For Character set, choose Unicode.
2.2. For Field delimiter, chose {Tab}.
2.3. Leave Text delimiter empty, erase the content by Del or Backspace.
2.4. Make sure, Save cell content as shown and Fixed column width are NOT ticked.
3. You will be warned, that only current sheet can be saved. That′s OK.
4. Change the file name extension from .csv to .txt.

[Edited at 2009-02-13 07:36 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A hint Feb 13, 2009

You are aware, I guess, that Russian is a highly inflective language. In order not to waste time entering all word forms, use asterisk. Thus,
больш*{tab}big
will get big as a match to большой, большая, большие etc.

Ruslan Datkayev
Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 14:07
English to Russian
+ ...
it works Feb 13, 2009

Good day!

To create the RU-EN Glossary in Wordfast please consider using the workaround below:

1. Create a Glossary in Wordfast
2. Save two-column Excel file in TXT format with tabulation delimiters
3. Copy-paste the Excel.txt into Glossary.txt

To exclude any problems with encodings please use Unicode.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

With respect,

Ruslan Datkay
... See more
Good day!

To create the RU-EN Glossary in Wordfast please consider using the workaround below:

1. Create a Glossary in Wordfast
2. Save two-column Excel file in TXT format with tabulation delimiters
3. Copy-paste the Excel.txt into Glossary.txt

To exclude any problems with encodings please use Unicode.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

With respect,

Ruslan Datkayev.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a RU-EN glossary in Wordfast

Translation news in Russian Federation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »