Thread poster: Laura Matveinen

Laura Matveinen
Finland
Local time: 18:38
German to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

after having had serious troubles scanning Russian and Finnish docs with OmniPage, I got a hint about scanning PDF files with Abbyy FineReader software, EUR 139.
Do you have experience with it and is it worth buying? I am especially looking forward to receiving comments from Russian translators.
Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Laura Matveinen
Eksakti Language Services
Finland

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:38
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Laura Aug 13, 2009

I use FineReader since... I don't remember when exactly, and in my opinion it is the best OCR software. It is certainly worth buying.

Natalia

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2009

I have used Abbyy FineReader quite many times to scan Russian documents.

I do not remember any problems.

Do not know anything about Finnish though.

[Edited at 2009-08-13 11:43 GMT]

Alexander Shchekotin (X)  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Best OCR software I know Aug 13, 2009

I would say FineReader is the best value for money. And what is even better, it handles a lot of languages. I have experience in recognizing both Finnish and Russian - it works perfect. The only problem is that FR's internal spellchecker may fail on some Finnish compound words - but is really a minor issue.

Hint: try purchasing FR from their Russian web-site: you may save up to 50% compared to local disctirbutors becasue they sell Professional at 3000 RUB, which is just 67 EUR.

If you need more help just let me know.

Alexander Shchekotin
http://a-script.eu

Arkadi Burkov  Identity Verified
Belarus
English to Russian
Try Free FineReader online service Aug 13, 2009

You can try the FineReader free online service at http://www.finereaderonline.ru/Account/Logon?ReturnUrl=/ to see if it works for you.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer Aug 13, 2009

is another option, which I use--if you don't need to scan, but merely to convert PDFs to Word and vice versa. It's cheaper. It has a more rudimentary OCR capability than Finereader, but I haven't found that to be a problem. And it does fine with Cyrillic.

[Edited at 2009-08-13 16:50 GMT]

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer Aug 13, 2009

is another option, which I use. It's cheaper. It has a more rudimentary OCR capability than Finereader, but I haven't found that to be a problem. And it does fine with Cyrillic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy FineReader, experiences scanning Russian PDF files

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search