Thread poster: Laura Matveinen

Laura Matveinen
Finland
Local time: 16:28
German to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

after having had serious troubles scanning Russian and Finnish docs with OmniPage, I got a hint about scanning PDF files with Abbyy FineReader software, EUR 139.
Do you have experience with it and is it worth buying? I am especially looking forward to receiving comments from Russian translators.
Thank you so much!

Best regards,
Laura Matveinen
Eksakti Language Services
Finland

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:28
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Hi Laura Aug 13, 2009

I use FineReader since... I don't remember when exactly, and in my opinion it is the best OCR software. It is certainly worth buying.

Natalia

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 13, 2009

I have used Abbyy FineReader quite many times to scan Russian documents.

I do not remember any problems.

Do not know anything about Finnish though.

[Edited at 2009-08-13 11:43 GMT]

Alexander Shchekotin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Best OCR software I know Aug 13, 2009

I would say FineReader is the best value for money. And what is even better, it handles a lot of languages. I have experience in recognizing both Finnish and Russian - it works perfect. The only problem is that FR's internal spellchecker may fail on some Finnish compound words - but is really a minor issue.

Hint: try purchasing FR from their Russian web-site: you may save up to 50% compared to local disctirbutors becasue they sell Professional at 3000 RUB, which is just 67 EUR.

If you need more help just let me know.

Alexander Shchekotin
http://a-script.eu

Arkadi Burkov  Identity Verified
Belarus
English to Russian
Try Free FineReader online service Aug 13, 2009

You can try the FineReader free online service at http://www.finereaderonline.ru/Account/Logon?ReturnUrl=/ to see if it works for you.

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer Aug 13, 2009

is another option, which I use--if you don't need to scan, but merely to convert PDFs to Word and vice versa. It's cheaper. It has a more rudimentary OCR capability than Finereader, but I haven't found that to be a problem. And it does fine with Cyrillic.

[Edited at 2009-08-13 16:50 GMT]

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:28
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer Aug 13, 2009

is another option, which I use. It's cheaper. It has a more rudimentary OCR capability than Finereader, but I haven't found that to be a problem. And it does fine with Cyrillic.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy FineReader, experiences scanning Russian PDF files

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search