Thread poster: Andrea Re

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:51
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2009

Hi there,

yesterday I had to open a word file in Russian, but couldn't display it properly. Is any Russian translator who has acquired their Office suite outside Russia who can tell me where I can get the fonts or whatever I need? (I imagine that if you are in Russia you would get the "correct" version of Office by default).

Thanks,

Andrea

Direct link Reply with quote

Leanida
Italy
Local time: 11:51
Italian to Russian
+ ...
the font Oct 23, 2009

Ask someone who has Russian Mac to send you the font, just add it and that’s it. I received once a font from an agency that wanted me to use mac font on PC, but it didn’t work. I sent the font to my friend who has a Mac and she uses it. Unfortunately I don’t have this font any more.

xxxyanadeni  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:51
French to Russian
+ ...
directory Oct 23, 2009

If you tell me in which directory the fonts are situated, I can take a look in my Macbook. I've never had troubles displaying Russian documents, inspite of the fact that I bought my Mac in Canada and that my MS Office is in English.

[Edited at 2009-10-23 21:11 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Path Oct 23, 2009

Yana Deni wrote:

If you tell me in which directory the fonts are situated, I can take a look in my Macbook. I've never had troubles displaying Russian documents, inspite of the fact that I bought my Mac in Canada and that my MS Office is in English.

[Edited at 2009-10-23 21:11 GMT]

Hi Yana,

here it is...

Macintosh HD/ Applicazioni/ Microsoft Office 2004/ Office/ Fonts

I ASSUME they are all there...

Thanks a lot

Andrea

PS

I am sure there must be something that can be set some palce... who knows where, though:)

Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
font list Oct 26, 2009

Look at the font list:
http://i044.radikal.ru/0910/7c/13da18bbe655.png
http://i035.radikal.ru/0910/a3/29fdfb2ac35b.png

You can compare them with your fonts and tell me which ones you want. I have 77 of them in the folder and it makes more than 80 Mb. Though, as you can see on the second picture, the most common font, Times New Roman, contains no cyrillic letters. I think the problem is elsewhere.

Have you tried to open other Russian documents? Maybe your document is corrupted.

Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
two fonts Oct 26, 2009

Hey, I finally found two cyrillic fonts in Macintosh HD / Library / Fonts
Here they are: http://slil.ru/28123213

United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Installation? Oct 26, 2009

Yana Deni wrote:

Hey, I finally found two cyrillic fonts in Macintosh HD / Library / Fonts
Here they are: http://slil.ru/28123213

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I have copied the fonts in the directory, but I am not clear how to install them (I know in XP there was a procedure...). For now I have clicked on it and said "install"... anyway, they are appearing in the font list.
The thing is... I still cannot read the document... in the Font it says it is in Courier, so I have to manually change the font to, say, Geneva and then I can see it, but it doesn't mean the format is going to be the same as the original...
A colleague has told me that there is a basic incompatibility between werd for PC and MAc when it comes to this kind of fonts (?!?!?!), so I am not sure how to proceed (short of resuming my old laptop).

Cheers,

Andrea

Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
Font Book Oct 27, 2009

To install:

Applications / Font Book
It's an application for font management (installation, deleting, etc.)

You should ask a Mac pro how to set MS Office so that it displays the text in any available font instead of the font it doesn't have. This works like this in my Office. Even if I open a document in a beautifull cyrillic font, I see it in one of my available fonts.

N.B.: Ask your question in a big LiveJournal Mac community. I use http://community.livejournal.com/ru_mac/ , but it's in Russian. They answered all my questions and helped to fix all the problems. I don't know if they reply non-Russian questions.

[Edited at 2009-10-27 22:10 GMT]

Joseph Kovalov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Проверка орфографии для офиса Oct 28, 2009

Чтобы не начинать новую ветку, спрошу здесь.
Кто знает, существует ли проверка орфографии для русского языка в "офисе" для макинтоша?
Я установил пробную версию, но в ней нет русской орфографии. Мне интересно, существует ли она в полной версии, и если нет, то как с таким справляться (покупать, получается, не имеет смысла?).

Canada
French to Russian
+ ...
Я ответа на вопрос не знаю, но... Oct 28, 2009

...позволю себе заметить

http://tinyurl.com/yl7877h

Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
2004 Oct 28, 2009

Dmitriy Kovalev wrote:

Чтобы не начинать новую ветку, спрошу здесь.
Кто знает, существует ли проверка орфографии для русского языка в "офисе" для макинтоша?
Я установил пробную версию, но в ней нет русской орфографии. Мне интересно, существует ли она в полной версии, и если нет, то как с таким справляться (покупать, получается, не имеет смысла?).

Существует только для Офиса 2004, есть такая программа ruSPELL. Легко ищется в Интернете.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office for MAC 2004: where/how to get Cyrillic fonts

Advanced search

Translation news in Russian Federation

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search