Russian space dog
Thread poster: Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:45
English to Spanish
Nov 30, 2004

can anybody help to translate the following Russian text into English. I appears on the back of a photo showing a Russian astronaut dog:

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 00:45
English to Russian
+ ...
You are welcome:-) Nov 30, 2004

[quote]galone_es wrote:

can anybody help to translate the following Russian text into English. I appears on the back of a photo showing a Russian astronaut dog:
quote]

Picture No.
October, 1959
Moscow

Space Explorers

Everything Is Ready For Launch (literary the Russian word is 'flight' but in this context I would not hesitate to use 'launch' even for a paying customer:-))

Picture taken by L. Porter
News Photography, TASS (Information Agency of the Soviet Union)

Best regards,
Irina (This part is not on the picture:-)

[Edited at 2004-11-30 19:14]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 30, 2004

Thank you very much Ilina for your help. I am doing some research on Russian space dogs.

Alexander Demyanov
Alexander Demyanov
Local time: 01:45
English
+ ...
photograph by ... Nov 30, 2004

That seems to be the standard phrase outside of ditionaries.

Also, just "Ready for launch" would convey as much info as "Everything is ready for launch" and (to me) seems more suitable for a photo caption.

[quote]IreneN wrote:

galone_es wrote:

quote]

Picture No.
October, 1959
Moscow

Space Explorers

Everything Is Ready For Launch (literary the Russian word is 'flight' but in this context I would not hesitate to use 'launch' even for a paying customer:-))

Best regards,

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
the image Nov 30, 2004

I cannot help to show the photo in question (very charming):

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Nov 30, 2004

for the image

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Good luck Dec 1, 2004

Those dogs deserve our memory and recognition - this is how the dog was sent to its glory for humans' sake, and it was a one-way ticket. I know for a fact that strong grown men could not hold tears saying goodbye to the pup...

To Alex: Ready for Launch is a phrase more appropriate when the payload with the dog is on the launcher and the whole thing is ready to fly in a few minutes. I would stick with what we actually have on the photo, let's not confuse the asker, this is not the f
... See more
Those dogs deserve our memory and recognition - this is how the dog was sent to its glory for humans' sake, and it was a one-way ticket. I know for a fact that strong grown men could not hold tears saying goodbye to the pup...

To Alex: Ready for Launch is a phrase more appropriate when the payload with the dog is on the launcher and the whole thing is ready to fly in a few minutes. I would stick with what we actually have on the photo, let's not confuse the asker, this is not the file to be turned to the customer. Now the asker knows what he (I'm sorry, maybe she) needs to know, that's all that matters.

[Edited at 2004-12-01 07:13]

[Edited at 2004-12-01 07:13]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
собака-космонавт (не астронавт) Dec 1, 2004

I believe it was a "cosmonaut dog" (not astronaut dog) and, actually, a Soviet (not Russian)dog.

[quote]IreneN wrote:

galone_es wrote:

quote]

Picture No.
October, 1959
Moscow

Space Explorers

Best regards,

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Laika! The dog's name is Laika! Dec 1, 2004

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

I believe it was a "cosmonaut dog" (not astronaut dog) and, actually, a Soviet (not Russian)dog.

And the dog's name is Laika.

http://phillumeny.onego.ru/labels/russian/space/page8/page8_r.html

... I see I'm wrong. This is not Laika. This is another dog. I have found more links with photos and articles on the topic:

http://palm.newsru.com/russia/05nov2002/laika.html
http://palm.newsru.com/pict/big/484757.html
http://www.rtc.ru/encyk/publish/art_030407_01.shtml

etc, etc...

[Edited at 2004-12-02 10:27]

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Dec 1, 2004

Nikolai for the Web link. You have raised an interesting topic, since I am very interested in knowing the name of the dog shown on the photo. But it is not Laika (the dog sent to space on Sputnik II); she died from overheating and panic just a few hours after the mission started (on November 1957).

Originally, the West was told that Laika had survived for several days before her life support system was exhausted and that she had then been deliberately "put to sleep"; the truth of
... See more
Nikolai for the Web link. You have raised an interesting topic, since I am very interested in knowing the name of the dog shown on the photo. But it is not Laika (the dog sent to space on Sputnik II); she died from overheating and panic just a few hours after the mission started (on November 1957).

Originally, the West was told that Laika had survived for several days before her life support system was exhausted and that she had then been deliberately "put to sleep"; the truth of what actually happened was not revealed until some 45 years afterwards, at the 2002 World Space Conference in Houston (USA).

[Edited at 2004-12-01 15:39]
Collapse

Irene N
Irene N
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Here they are: Dec 1, 2004

The fact that the photo dates 1959 with words "ready..." and no launch that year does not mean anything - it could have been one of the dogs 'in training' and another Soviet "victory report" for newspapers.

I will try to find out the exact name but can't promise...

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/dogs/

Other Space Dogs... See more
The fact that the photo dates 1959 with words "ready..." and no launch that year does not mean anything - it could have been one of the dogs 'in training' and another Soviet "victory report" for newspapers.

I will try to find out the exact name but can't promise...

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/dogs/

Other Space Dogs
Between 1957 and 1966, the USSR (now Russia) sent 13 dogs into space in preparation for future missions. The dogs included:

Laika (meaning "Barker") - died during a mission (Sputnik 2, November 1957)
Lisichka (meaning "Little Fox") and Bars (meaning "Panther" or "Lynx") - died during a test flight on July 28, 1960
Strelka (meaning "Little Arrow") , Belka (meaning "Squirrel"), 40 mice, 2 rats and a number of plants - safely recovered from Korabl'-Sputnik-2. Launched August 19, 1960, it orbited the Earth 18 times. This was the first successful recovery of living biological specimens after an orbital mission. Strelka later gave birth to a litter of 6 healthy puppies; one was given to President John F. Kennedy as a gift.
A stamp from Bulgaria featuring Strelka, Chernushka, Zvezdochka, and Belka.
Pchelka (meaning "Little Bee") and Mushka (meaning "Little Fly")- died when Korabl'-Sputnik-3 re-entered the Earth's atmosphere at the wrong angle and burned up, (launched December 1, 1960)
Damka (meaning "Little Lady") and Krasavka (meaning "Beauty") - Launched December 22, 1960, but the third stage of the SL-3 rocket failed, and the orbital launch was aborted; the two dogs survived an unplanned suborbital flight.
Chernushka (meaning "Blackie"), a dummy cosmonaut (known as "Ivan Ivanovich"), a few mice and a guinea pig - launched March 9, 1961.
Zvezdochka (meaning "Little Star") and a dummy cosmonaut in a space suit - launched on March 25, 1961 and orbited once in final preparation for the Vostok 1 mission. Zvezdochka was named by cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin.
Verterok or Veterok (meaning "Breeze") and Ugolyok or Ugolek (meaning "Little Piece of Coal") were launched on February 22, 1966, in the satellite Kosmos 110. This was a 22-day mission.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Russian%20space%20dogs
Compared to the picture here, she looks very much like Strelka...

[Edited at 2004-12-01 18:16]
Collapse

Angel Llacuna
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Kozyavka ( Little Gnat ) ... Dec 3, 2004

...that is the name of the lovely dog on the photo.
She is one of the most travelled of the space dogs, with four flights to her credit.
I owe all this information to Chris Dubbs, author of the book
"Space Dogs: Pioneers of Space Travel".

[Edited at 2004-12-05 08:54]

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Была "Лайка" и были "Белка" и "Стрелка" Dec 5, 2004

Но откуда я помню - не могу сказать))

Nikolai Muraviev wrote:

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

And the dog's name is Laika.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Awesome info Dec 5, 2004

Thank you.

galone_es wrote:

...that is the name of the lovely dog on the photo.
She is one of the most travelled of the space dogs, with four flights to her credit.
I owed all this information to Chris Dubbs, author of the book
"Space Dogs: Pioneers of Space Travel".

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Russian space dog

Translation news in Russian Federation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »