Thread poster: Inna Saveleva
Inna Saveleva
Inna Saveleva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 29, 2002

I hope the community will suggest some fresh ideas since after a couple of months on the problem I\'m still there.

I\'m a university graduate with a traditional for Russia qualification of \'linguist\' when one is neither a teacher, nor an interpreter bu someone who knows the language. However, after 7+ years in the interpreting/ translating rtade I did manage to establish myself as a professional and have by now acquired the EBRD, TACIS projects, etc. on the list of my empl
... See more
I hope the community will suggest some fresh ideas since after a couple of months on the problem I\'m still there.

I\'m a university graduate with a traditional for Russia qualification of \'linguist\' when one is neither a teacher, nor an interpreter bu someone who knows the language. However, after 7+ years in the interpreting/ translating rtade I did manage to establish myself as a professional and have by now acquired the EBRD, TACIS projects, etc. on the list of my employees. The problem is that while officially requesting a consecutive interpreter most employers express preferences for the so-called semi-simultaneous job and in the worst conditions at that (in terms of occupational hygiene) when for instance a dozen of ministerial people start raging over an issue absolutely ignorign the interpreter.

After a couple of years of such experience, I started feeling inadequate enough to settle on getting trained as a conference interpreter but cannot find anything suitable here in Moscow (I did the browsing of international programs as well but that means leaving the full-time employment, for the first, investing the so-far scarce funds, for the second, and no guarantee of a pay-back, for the third). The worthwhile schools I have so far identified in Moscow do not offer any alternative but full-time programs and I\'m not in a positions yet to afford to leave my full-time employer. Can anyone advise on what could be done in such circumstances? I also heard a lot that it\'s the experience, not formal training that matters, but still believe that certain technics do need to be learnt.

PS: I will also appreciate any information relating to interpreting, specifically in what concerns learning the note-taking.
Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 08:57
Dutch to English
+ ...
Note taking Jun 29, 2002

look up the consecutive system of Rozan. Has to be on the web.

Best schools are CIUTI-schools like Geneva, Vienna,Heidelberg, Westminster,...

www.ciuti.org. There is a link to the different schools. No input (money), no output (business). Good luck.

Tatiana Neroni (X)
Tatiana Neroni (X)
English to Russian
+ ...
I had a training as an English language teacher, Jul 1, 2002

but worked only as an interpreter. First consecutive, then simultaneous. For me it was all experience, although I wouldn\'t proclaim it as the only truth.

Btw., in the situation you\'re describing (when \"everybody is raging at the same time\") I very simply refused to work like that and plainly asked people to speak one by one for me to be able to interpret for them one by one. It does not matter for me how to interpret - consecutively or simultaneously, but it should be fo
... See more
but worked only as an interpreter. First consecutive, then simultaneous. For me it was all experience, although I wouldn\'t proclaim it as the only truth.

Btw., in the situation you\'re describing (when \"everybody is raging at the same time\") I very simply refused to work like that and plainly asked people to speak one by one for me to be able to interpret for them one by one. It does not matter for me how to interpret - consecutively or simultaneously, but it should be for one person at a time. I don\'t believe you will be taught otherwise at any courses, no matter how advanced. You just plainly can\'t interpret for more than one person at a time, and people you\'re working for need to understand it.

I usually would say something like \"if you need a quality translation to understand what\'s going on, please, speak one at a time\". It\'s polite, but matter of fact enough to set yourself as a professional and not hurt anybody\'s feelings.

And btw. # 2, in my experience, people who \"rage\" interrupting one another are usually far from being professional (although they might hold high-ranking positions). I know the problems of working in Moscow as an interpreter - not only people do not know how to work with an interpreter, \"occupational hygiene\" is beneath criticism also because all of those people talking are also smoking at the same negotiation table, so that after several hours of work the interpreter cannot breathe any more and is reeking of tobacco...

I guess, you need to employ a balancing test - how will it hurt your employment to stand up for yourself and ASK to observe certain rules they are not aware of and is it worth it for you.

If the problem is only what you\'ve described, you don\'t need additional training...

My two cents.

Collapse

Julia Berman
Julia Berman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:57
English to Russian
факультет повышения квалификации переводчиков в МГЛУ Jul 1, 2002

В московском инязе есть факультет повышения квалификации переводчиков (ФПКП), на котором учат синхронному переводу. 2 года, вечернее отделение, 6 дней в неделю с 18:00 до 22:00. $3000 в год (кажется, для выпускников иняза у них предусмотрена скидка, но я в этом не уверена - лучше уточн�... See more
В московском инязе есть факультет повышения квалификации переводчиков (ФПКП), на котором учат синхронному переводу. 2 года, вечернее отделение, 6 дней в неделю с 18:00 до 22:00. $3000 в год (кажется, для выпускников иняза у них предусмотрена скидка, но я в этом не уверена - лучше уточнить). Вступительные экзамены - английский устный/письменный + тест на способность к синхронному переводу. Подача документов с 1 апреля по 20 июня. Диплом о повышении квалификации с правом на ведение новой профессиональной деятельности.

Информация у меня примерно годичной давности, Вы можете позвонить в деканат по тел. 245-2815.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conference interpreters\' training in Moscow

Translation news in Russian Federation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »