Irina Popova
Irina Popova  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:50
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2002

Dear fellow translators,

Two days ago series of KudoZ questions related to Information Technologies and Computers were posted in the English->Bulgarian section. I looked at the asker\'s profile and was surprised to learn that she was Russian translator and Bulgarian language was not mentioned among her working pairs. Therefore, I stopped answering and asked her about her knowledge level in Bulgarian. Her answer was:

\"Уважаемый(ая) Comtrans1! Я разделяю В
... See more
Dear fellow translators,

Two days ago series of KudoZ questions related to Information Technologies and Computers were posted in the English->Bulgarian section. I looked at the asker\'s profile and was surprised to learn that she was Russian translator and Bulgarian language was not mentioned among her working pairs. Therefore, I stopped answering and asked her about her knowledge level in Bulgarian. Her answer was:

\"Уважаемый(ая) Comtrans1! Я разделяю Ваше мнение, что переводы должны делать профессионалы. Именно поэтому я не указала в своем инфо, что знаю болгарский язык. Однако, для задачи, которая стоит передо мной, моих знаний вполне достаточно. Мне нужно проверить текст, который перевел болгарин с английского на болгарский язык. К сожалению, даже моих знаний достаточно, чтобы понять, что переводчик не всегда понимал, о чем идет речь в английском тексте. Я обратилась за помощью к специалистам proz, т.к. не могу просто заявить, что текст переведен неправильно, это необходимо обосновать.\" (here is the link - http://www.proz.com/kudoz/236292)

Dear colleagues, I was shocked to read such and explanation from a fellow translator! According to that lady, she is quite capable of proof-reading and estimating a translation into language she DOESN\'T KNOW and in field she is NOT FAMILIAR WITH! (As a proof to the last statement - she asked about the translation of the word PROCESSOR from English into Bulgarian! The level of her other questions was similar... That\'s what моих знаний вполне достаточно obviously mean!)

I would like very much to hear what is your opinion regarding this incident? Do you think it is right, professional, fair?

Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:50
English to German
+ ...
Calm down... Jul 19, 2002

What\'s your point, actually? OK, you stopped answering, that\'s it, your choice. Other peers, I guess, did the same when they just got bored by the huge number and low level of questions put. But would there be a need to make such a noise about this case? If she does not have a basic knowledge of the languages she is trying to cope with she will just get stuck one moment and fail to do the job decently, and the problem is her\'s than to deal with an unsatisfied client. So?! Don\'t you think a p... See more
What\'s your point, actually? OK, you stopped answering, that\'s it, your choice. Other peers, I guess, did the same when they just got bored by the huge number and low level of questions put. But would there be a need to make such a noise about this case? If she does not have a basic knowledge of the languages she is trying to cope with she will just get stuck one moment and fail to do the job decently, and the problem is her\'s than to deal with an unsatisfied client. So?! Don\'t you think a person with common sense is able to consider this and to decide whether she would take a job or not?There is no need, I think, to make a political or moral issue from this and to cause a discussion that is rather emotional than related to a concrete issue. Maybe you just in a bad mood, frustrated or busy with something else while responding to the questions? Happens to all of us. Take it easier, don\'t waste your nerves and our time any longer.

Salem

Steffen
Collapse

oldnick
oldnick
Russian to Italian
+ ...
one step at a time Jul 19, 2002

She got as far as to see that the translated text sucks. A wink is enough. On the other hand their concerted effort could cause some good wholesome laugh, which is almost as good as a pint of beer.

Irina Popova
Irina Popova  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 19, 2002

Thank you very much for your opinion and highly professional attitude, completely absent of any ad hominem presumptions.

I presume you wouldn\'t mind if I make an evaluation of your translation work then? I don\'t know German myself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional Ethics - I would like to know your opinion

Translation news in Russian Federation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »