https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/101255-another_scam_using_msn%3A_aha_it_seems_i_have_won_one_million_gbp_says_the_mail.html

Another scam - using MSN: Aha it seems I have won one million GBP says the mail...
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 19:15
English to German
+ ...
Apr 2, 2008

Hi! in my msn messenger. They even knew my full name, address and phone numbers and have called me twice this evening from central africa. It seems my mail account has been participating in some microsoft Lotto scheme ( without my knowledge) and came out as a winner. The mail showed pictures of the past winners and demanded that I immediately pay USD 550,- to the microsoft lotto representative via a local bank so that all transactions can be tracked by the money releasing authority in Central a... See more
Hi! in my msn messenger. They even knew my full name, address and phone numbers and have called me twice this evening from central africa. It seems my mail account has been participating in some microsoft Lotto scheme ( without my knowledge) and came out as a winner. The mail showed pictures of the past winners and demanded that I immediately pay USD 550,- to the microsoft lotto representative via a local bank so that all transactions can be tracked by the money releasing authority in Central africa.

I asked back for the physical address, office address, phone numbers just as email id of the representing authority. I was told that this person has just now left for UK and shall be back only next week, and that I am to deposit USD 550,- immediately within the next 48 hours to claim the money. I said " that is very bad that the person is currently in UK and possesses local Taxids. I will have them cross checked through the lawyers as I myself do not have that kind of money immediately, I will have to borrow from my representing lawyer and he has pointed out a few issues that require immediate attention and must be clarified within the next 5 hours by the fund releasing authority.

Credential - as a microsoft associate, address both office and home. receiving bank ( USD 550,-) holder and owner of the account accordingly also a statement proving the same scanned by the bank. That the bank authority may contact my lawyer attesting the same from their local branch office.

Fund release channel - whether in central africa or my location. Finally the USD 550 can be paid to the person representing in persona and a receipt will be demanded as per local laws. The receiving representation is to bring or carry his credential, such as passport, citizenship papers of all kinds, and a seal that clearly reflects he is the representation of microsoft lotto foundation ( personally I have never heard there is such a thing you know).

So I wrote back all that in the mail to Dr. Abubekar in Central africa and also asked for his physical addresse and etc., Upon which to my surprise I had really received one call saying - If I do not pay within 48 hours the fund will be cancelled and rechannelled into the lotto system for the next winner.

I told him that I have no money only may be at the end of the month I may have a couple of hundred dollars which I need for the next month, that I would appreciate much if the fund can be made available and promise to pay USD 1000,- instead of USD 550,-. 10 mins later another call came again, - OK I understand your situation, we will wait another 2-3 weeks for you to be able to pay and claim the fund !
As for myself I know either they would give up and end up contacting me thinking that I would really pay, why they have even managed calling me. Let us now just wait and see what else is going to happen.

End of the call .

Brandis

p.s excuse me this was supposed to be in off-topic and not safe-computing.

[Edited at 2008-04-02 17:24]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-02 17:49]

I think I know what is happening - someone sends a group mail with a winner ad without recourse to the sender. Someone in central catches the idea of making money using such a mail and attaches their addresses and a ms-word document with some pictures like president, authorized agent etc., and all look very seriously into the camera ( red-eyed). Believing this there may have been people that have paid the demanded USD 550,- that feeds that pseudo office and they manage international calls. That is how these people could call me.

Just now I have recd. another 3 such mass mails without recourse to the sender. I have also answered but they were rejected and bounced back - no mail account there.

[Edited at 2008-04-02 19:19]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-02 22:29]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Brandis Apr 2, 2008

Is it really necessary to publish each and every scam to create more publicity to spammers? If we would publish here every spam message that falls into our trash, there would be no place for other subjects in the forums.

Moreover, the first and most important rule is: NEVER send ANY answers to any scam messages. It seemed to me that everyone already knows this. Otherwise your own email address may be used for sending spam.

Natalia

[Edited at 2008-04
... See more
Is it really necessary to publish each and every scam to create more publicity to spammers? If we would publish here every spam message that falls into our trash, there would be no place for other subjects in the forums.

Moreover, the first and most important rule is: NEVER send ANY answers to any scam messages. It seemed to me that everyone already knows this. Otherwise your own email address may be used for sending spam.

Natalia

[Edited at 2008-04-02 20:26]
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Answering to scammers Apr 2, 2008

Hi Brandis
I understand that you're willing to help the community by showing what not to do. But I hope that this forum is not going to become only a repository of all kind of scams, because users receiving the notifications will have the feeling that they are receiving twice as much scam (one time by the "normal" way, the second time in the forum notification). Which is not the expected effect.

That said I wouldn't want to deter anybody from warning the community against any
... See more
Hi Brandis
I understand that you're willing to help the community by showing what not to do. But I hope that this forum is not going to become only a repository of all kind of scams, because users receiving the notifications will have the feeling that they are receiving twice as much scam (one time by the "normal" way, the second time in the forum notification). Which is not the expected effect.

That said I wouldn't want to deter anybody from warning the community against any **new** kind of scam they could come across. But this can only be efficient if people are not already drowning in messages that are all similar.

And I will echo Natalie's message:
NEVER answer to scammers
NEVER leave your email address visible to all on the Web

Florence

[Edited at 2008-04-02 21:17]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No not necessary. Apr 3, 2008

Hi! infact this is the first time I am posting it and wanted to assess what happens behind the screen. After all people don´t just send out mail without any latent intention. For this reason I had posted it in off-topic, but no Sir you had to bring it to safe computing. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-04-03 03:14]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Dangerous Apr 3, 2008

There are "scam the scammers" web sites, where enterprising maniacs play with the scammers, trying to get them to do all kinds of silly things.

But make no mistake - scammers are dangerous. Peoeple are known to have disappeared after going to Nigeria (!) trying to recover their money.

Pawel Skalinski

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
And I have been invited to some strange event!!! Apr 3, 2008

I am wondering as to when did I start dealing in Diesel Generators among other things!!!

(I have removed some details in order to comply with proz rules)

URGENT IRAQ SUPPLY CONTRACT.
Thu Apr 3 5:30pm – 6:30pm
(Timezone: Pacific Time)

Calendar: Ritu Bhanot

-- URGENT IRAQ SUPPLY CONTRACT.

Your good name and address have been recommended to us as an authorized contractor/manufactures/exporters of various items from your country. To introduce our selves to you, we are Iraq contract committee for contractors/suppliers/manufacturers exporters representatives in Iraq. Presently we are actively engaged in sourcing of the under listed items for an urgent contract supply to the Iraq Government of Basra. we have been in the line of business since reconstruction pledge was made by the Bush Government, many successful years satisfying our numerous contractors/suppliers for the government with all their needs. Our recent expansion and desire to promote trade and industry link in your country has afforded us the opportunity to contact your esteem company, for an urgent contract supply of the under listed items to the Government of Iraq.

1. Twenty-five pieces of 1000kva Diesel Generators plus cables

2. Forty-two pieces of 500kva Diesel Generators plus cables

3. Ten pieces of 300kva Diesel Generators plus cables

CONTRACT NO:00087/550097/CIG-O8
CONTRACT AMOUNT: US$20,000,000.00
CONTRACT LOCATION: MONSUL-BASRAH-UMM QASAAR AND BAGDAHD.

SHIPPING:
CIF PORT OF BASRA Please if you can supply us with all of the above listed items, do not hesitate to inform us by mail so that we can stop further negotiations, with other foreign companies and direct you to our Offshore Recommendation Centre Based in the heart of UAE(Dubai),for an urgent supply on all of the captioned iterms. The O.S.R.C was setup because most of our suppliers find it hard travelling to Iraq to complete the contract fomalities because of the violence in the region. Looking forward to hear from you Best regards, />

FOR: CONTRACT AWARD COMMITTEE.
KHUALAFA ARRUSSFI SQUARE BAGDAHD-IRAQ
Email--***[email protected]
CHAIRMAN: OVERSIGHT AND GOVERNMENT REFORM COMMITTEE
More event details»
Will you attend?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Another scam - using MSN: Aha it seems I have won one million GBP says the mail...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »