Thread poster: Amy Williams

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:25
Italian to English
+ ...
May 21, 2003

Hi there,

This morning I found a very convincing e-mail supposedly from Paypal in my Inbox - subject \"Dear Paypal Customer\". NB this is not a scam from within Paypal.com but from a spammer with a fake e-mail address.

The e-mail looks fairly convincing - Paypal font, headed notepaper etc. but asks for your credit card info and what\'s more, your ATM PIN, so be warned: do not enter your credit card number - this is a scam.

Enjoy your day,

Amy

Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:04:04 +0000

Subject: Dear PayPal Customer

To: Ace_williams

Dear PayPal Customer

This e-mail is the notification of recent innovations taken by PayPal to detect inactive customers and non-functioning mailboxes.

The inactive customers are subject to restriction and removal in the next 3 months.

Please confirm your email address and and Credit Card info number by logging in to your PayPal account using the form below:

Email Address:

Password:

Full Name #:

Credit Card #:

Exp.Date(mm/yyyy) #:

ATM PIN (For Bank Verification) #:

This notification expires May 31, 2003

Thanks for using PayPal!

This PayPal notification was sent to your mailbox. Your PayPal account is set up to receive the PayPal Periodical newsletter and product updates when you create your account. To modify your notification preferences and unsubscribe, go to (web address) and log in to your account. Changes to your preferences may take several days to be reflected in our mailings. Replies to this email will not be processed.

If you previously asked to be excluded from Providian product offerings and solicitations, they apologize for this e-mail. Every effort was made to ensure that you were excluded from this e-mail. If you do not wish to receive promotional e-mail from Providian, go to (web address).

Copyright© 2002 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

[Edited at 2003-05-21 06:29]

[Edited at 2003-05-21 07:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Have reported this to Paypal May 21, 2003

Reported this to Paypal this morning.

Enjoy,

Amy

[Edited at 2003-05-21 07:10]

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Which forum? May 21, 2003

Hi Amy,

Which forum did you want? We can move it

Regards

Mary

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mary May 21, 2003

Hi Mary,

Meant to put the posting in \"Money Matters\" first time but gaffed. I\'ve put a posting in Money Matters now - I suppose the more people that get to see it the better.

Thanks,

Amy

Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 09:25
French to English
See www.paypalsucks.com for more scam alerts May 21, 2003

The following site

http://www.paypalsucks.com

does contain scam alerts in addition to all of the complaints about Paypal. It is a useful site.

HTH

Sara

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The Scam May 21, 2003

Similar e-mails recently (about a week ago- I received several) was sent out in a name of Bank of America, all very nice, only the page address to submit your PIN code updates was 198.173.235.126, not 171.161.161.173 which is genuine address of BoA.

I know of several people who tried to alert BoA of this scam, but sadly the BoA is one of these high minded institutions, which does not show their e-address anywhere, and to send a message from their web page, demands to fill so large a questionaire, that seldom a person, if a question is not about his personal life or death, has a patience to go through it

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:25
Danish to English
+ ...
PayPal Scam May 22, 2003

I have just become aware of how lucky I am. I received the same scam letter from \"PayPal\" but decided to let my credit card run out since I don\'t use PayPal any more but am using direct deposit to my bank account instead. This sure made my day. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. If anyone answered that letter, I hope they will notify their credit card company and get that card canceled immediately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning: Paypal credit card scam alert - Fake e-mails asking for CC details

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search