Thread poster: OlafK
OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:36
English to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2008

I lent my laptop to a friend and all of a sudden all programs have an Adobe symbol and when you try to open them the computer tries to open them with Adobe reader or something which of course doesnt work. Absolutely everything has an Adobe symbol and can't be opened. Does anybody know anything about this? Help appreciated! I'm desperate!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-30 01:41]

savaria (X)
savaria (X)
Hungary
Local time: 20:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
My suggestion Aug 30, 2008

I think you should join each and every file type(after all,there shouldn't be so many programmes installed on that computer) with the program that is able to open it.
Such as:
*.doc-word
*.jpg-AcdSee,or IrfanView
*.mp3 -Winamp/Windows Media Player,or Real Player

and so on.

If you know,which file type to join with which programme,then the whole thing should not take you more than one or two hours,depending on the type(the speed,the quality) of you
... See more
I think you should join each and every file type(after all,there shouldn't be so many programmes installed on that computer) with the program that is able to open it.
Such as:
*.doc-word
*.jpg-AcdSee,or IrfanView
*.mp3 -Winamp/Windows Media Player,or Real Player

and so on.

If you know,which file type to join with which programme,then the whole thing should not take you more than one or two hours,depending on the type(the speed,the quality) of your computer,the number of files involved and the level of your expertise.

If you have any doubts,please do not hesitate to contact me via msn,I will help you:
[email protected](to those who feel an irresistible desire to send me spam
,I have an extremely good spam filter,so...you really shouldn't try...its useless)

[Módosítva: 2008-08-30 07:47]
Collapse

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Unlikely to be a virus... Aug 30, 2008

For what it's worth, you should contact your friend and ask him (or her) what they did to end up with your system being messed up. They must have some idea as they also would have seen all the Adobe logos before switching it off...although in a situation like that, "I don't know what I did" is a common response.

And it's not a good idea to lend your work computer to people who e
... See more
For what it's worth, you should contact your friend and ask him (or her) what they did to end up with your system being messed up. They must have some idea as they also would have seen all the Adobe logos before switching it off...although in a situation like that, "I don't know what I did" is a common response.

And it's not a good idea to lend your work computer to people who evidently don't know how to operate it.

It sounds to me like your friend has tried to open an unknown file extension with Adobe and has set this as the default 'open with...' program (inadvertently of course).

I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, as I don't know what OS your are using, but my guess is that it'll be in the Control Panel somewhere.
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
won't work Aug 30, 2008

All the program files are supposed to open with Adobe reader which they don't of course, and everything in the Control Panel, Support etc. too. I'm now reinstalling the systemand am very, very annoyed!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus using Adobe logo?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »