Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
If crooks were smarter....
Thread poster: Gisela Greenlee

Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:21
German to English
+ ...
Sep 4, 2008

I just had to share this one - I received an email today, obviously an attempt to defraud me, but the crooks made it even easier to know that this was not an official email; the email came from "service@paypail.com". Hmm, what is that payment service called again? The email went straight into the "pail".

Direct link Reply with quote

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:21
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Please, stay on topic Sep 5, 2008

I have deleted several posts in this thread because they
- were not on-topic (Rule 7 : Replies should not stray from the posted topic. When responding to a topic initiated by another member, stick to the topic as introduced. To change the discussion, it is necessary to post a new topic. "
- and/or were making a generalization about the people of a certain country (the fact that this country is usually associated with a certain kind of scam doesn't mean that all "the xxx-ians" are scammers or are not good at spelling, etc.). (Rule 1 : ...Postings ... that may be considered offensive by other users, will be removed without regard to the views expressed.)

Feel free to contribute to this thread, but please open a new topic if you want to speak about something else.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2008-09-05 19:53]

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:21
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I love it! Sep 5, 2008

Wouldn't it be nice if all fraudulent emails were that easy to spot? Unfortunately, many are well-crafted and all too plausible.

Thanks for sharing that, giselrike!

Jane

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:21
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
How can an off-topic message be on-topic? Sep 5, 2008

Oddie wrote:

- were not on-topic (Rule 7 : Replies should not stray from the posted topic. When responding to a topic initiated by another member, stick to the topic as introduced. To change the discussion, it is necessary to post a new topic. "

Just out of curiosity (and I have no idea what others answered, since their messages were already deleted), but since this was an off-topic post - wouldn't one be off topic by posting on topic?

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:21
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I will answer Sep 5, 2008

Deleted messages speculated on characteristics of particular nationalities.

Hope that clarifies it,

Uldis

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:
Just out of curiosity (and I have no idea what others answered, since their messages were already deleted), but since this was an off-topic post - wouldn't one be off topic by posting on topic?

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:21
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
The subject was labelled "off topic" Sep 5, 2008

While it isn't "off topic" since it is indeed about safe computing (there is a separate "off topic" forum when necessary) - but in any case the answers must be relevant to the first post of the thread. This was not the case here - and the most important point was, as Uldis just said, that some of the postings included derogatory comments about a certain nationality, this is not allowed in any case.

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Off-topic Sep 6, 2008

[I think you should send the e-mail to the real paypal, let them look into it.]

While it isn't "off topic" since it is indeed about safe computing (there is a separate "off topic" forum when necessary) - but in any case the answers must be relevant to the first post of the thread. This was not the case here - and the most important point was, as Uldis just said, that some of the postings included derogatory comments about a certain nationality, this is not allowed in any case.

That's the most Irish thing I have ever heard (am I being racist?)

People weren't generalising about certain nationalities, rather certain people have given themselves a bad name due to the amount of scams they produce and therefore have inadvertently caused their nationality to be associated with a certain type of scam, namely the 419.

IMO, all the postings were relevant and were following a logical line of argument. Then they were deleted.

Yours off-topicly,

Michael McMouse,

Baile Bogie.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If crooks were smarter....

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search