Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Think twice about disclosing your personal info on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc.
Thread poster: Monika Coulson

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:03
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2009

I know it is fun, but it is the wrong time to make your complete birthdate public these days. And not just your birthday...

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5491388

Have a great day, everyone!

Monika

[Edited at 2009-02-03 14:47 GMT]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:03
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Even worse Feb 3, 2009

We have heard of stories about kidnapping after criminals read about one person's information such as school attended, places visited during vacations, etc., from which they know the social status of the person. The Government of a nearby city advised its youth population not to use any of these sites in order to help in reducing kidnapping.

TechWrite
Israel
Local time: 14:03
Polish to English
+ ...
it's nothing new Feb 3, 2009

such things are known in the world of special agents and secret services...icon_smile.gif

Therefore one should watch out all the time in order not to get tricked into some mass...

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:03
Spanish to English
Not to mention the "legal" use Feb 3, 2009

Thanks for that information.

i would like to add the latest news about the potential "legal" use of Facebook that I also find very offputting.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/4413483/Networking-site-cashes-in-on-friends.html

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If no Facebook, Google will suffice Feb 3, 2009

Monika Coulson wrote:
I know it is fun, but it is the wrong time to make your complete birthdate public these days. And not just your birthday...

You can get lots of information on people using Google alone...

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
;-) Feb 3, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

Monika Coulson wrote:

You can get lots of information on people using ProZ...

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't get it... Feb 3, 2009

Monika Coulson wrote:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=5491388

I've heard similar warnings before, but I still don't get it. When I look up the name of someone who's not my FB friend, all I can see is a list of their friends, but that's it. How is anyone outside my list supposed to find out my personal details??

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

That's absolutely trueicon_eek.gif

[Edited at 2009-02-03 19:36 GMT]

irina savescu  Identity Verified
Romania
English to Romanian
facebook Feb 3, 2009

I've heard similar warnings before, but I still don't get it. When I look up the name of someone who's not my FB friend, all I can see is a list of their friends, but that's it. How is anyone outside my list supposed to find out my personal details??

some people make the information available to everyone, not just friends (there is an option somewhere to do that) and a lot of people just accept anyone as their friend on the internet.
imho
common sense doesn't apply on social networking sites because you get the feeling that it's not really real. you wouldn't give out that information to a stranger on the street but you don't think twice about sharing it online. and that's where the problems start.

Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Greek
+ ...
not surprising really Feb 4, 2009

I don't think there's anything surprising to it, really. I'm no tech freak, but common sense tells me that if hackers are capable of getting banking details out of people or out of their computers, anything is possible via the net... Call me a pessimist if you have to...
I've had a few friends asking me to join them on Facebook and I've always kindly refused, always explaining the risk linked to those sites and that my policy is to stay away from them... The result was that I don't hear much from some of them anymore, nor do I receive family photos or things like that, as if good old email or even phone didn't have its place among communication tools anymore... So be it, if that's the price to pay to protect my private life and my family...

Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
So have I Feb 4, 2009

Ioanna Orfanoudaki wrote:
I've had a few friends asking me to join them on Facebook and I've always kindly refused,

But since I am their friend, they plaster photos of me all over there when they manage to snap someicon_mad.gif

Usually when you google someone, Facebook page by that name is the top result. It really is that popular.

Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Only 2 things Feb 4, 2009

I don't think there's anything surprising to it, really. I'm no tech freak, but common sense tells me that if hackers are capable of getting banking details out of people or out of their computers, anything is possible via the net... Call me a pessimist if you have to...
I've had a few friends asking me to join them on Facebook and I've always kindly refused, always explaining the risk linked to those sites and that my policy is to stay away from them... The result was that I don't hear much from some of them anymore, nor do I receive family photos or things like that, as if good old email or even phone didn't have its place among communication tools anymore... So be it, if that's the price to pay to protect my private life and my family...

Once upon a time a famous person said 'The only sure things in life are death and taxes.'

Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 07:03
Norwegian to English
I couldn't agree more Feb 4, 2009

I don't "politely refuse" - I simply ignore such requests.

Apart from the inherent dangers of Facebook, I object to it because it is so reminiscent of those mass-mailing letters some people find it necessary to send out to their friends and acquaintances every Christmas, telling them all about what the family has been up to in the past twelve months. Instead of keeping in touch with people directly, they resort to this kind of pretentious posturing, which has the added advantage of giving the impression that they are so terribly busy (i.e. important) that this is the only way they can keep in touch with the enormous number of "friends" they have.

Sorry, but the very name "Facebook" seems to sum it up for me. Personally, I prefer to call it FAKEBOOK.

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:03
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using common sense Feb 5, 2009

Facebook says it is taking measures to reduce impersonations. The popular site also offers these preventative tips for those who want to take the security of their online profile into their own hands:

• Be suspicious of anyone -- even friends -- who ask for money over the Internet. Verify their circumstances independently, either by calling them directly, or checking with mutual friends.

• Choose a strong password and use unique credentials for each of your Web accounts. Facebook says hackers tap into one site and then try to reuse passwords on others.

• Use an up-to-date browser that features an anti-phishing blacklist.

• Use and run anti-virus software on your computer.

• Reset your Facebook password if you suspect your account has been compromised.

• Have more than one contact e-mail address. This will help if one of them is hacked.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/05/facebook.impostors/index.html

[Edited at 2009-02-05 21:16 GMT]

Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Speaking of Facebook Feb 6, 2009

I was thinking of putting a business profile of Facebook - with pretty much the same info I have on my profile here, conservative, no photos, not collecting friends hysterically and joining funny groups... bad idea? What do you think, could this promote freelancing?

As I have never been there, I have no idea whether people put profiles there for business purposes and would it even be possible, or worth the trouble.

Edit. The same for MySpace!

[Edited at 2009-02-06 04:53 GMT]

TechWrite
Israel
Polish to English
+ ...
lots of carefulness is required all the time May 20, 2009

Anywhere and anytime, when you give any information on yourselves you let the whole world know about you. It is NOT a problem to find all the pieces of information you spread, traces on where you have been and which sites you have visited to figure out not only who you are, where you live, and what are your interests, but all your past as well.

The lest information on yourselves you give, the best.

Even when opening email account, which and giving there your real city name, postal code, phone number and birth date - you are open book not only for spammers, but hackers as well.

Therefore lots of carefulness is required all the time - whatever you do in the net.

Take care!

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Monika Coulson wrote:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Think twice about disclosing your personal info on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter etc.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search