Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:30
French to German
+ ...
Sep 30, 2009

Hello to all,
I have a contract with an American ISP for the provision of my web hosting and email service. Everything went good until the last few days, when I discovered that I was blocked from sending emails (or had to enter a confirmation code to do so) because "suspicious activity was detected on (your) account". The appearance of these messages seem to happen at random and I therefore do not know whether I will be able to send an email through this account or not. I have already
... See more
Hello to all,
I have a contract with an American ISP for the provision of my web hosting and email service. Everything went good until the last few days, when I discovered that I was blocked from sending emails (or had to enter a confirmation code to do so) because "suspicious activity was detected on (your) account". The appearance of these messages seem to happen at random and I therefore do not know whether I will be able to send an email through this account or not. I have already posted 3 requests for information to the support of this ISP and received no explanation so far.
Did something like that happen to you and, if yes, what did you do to be fully reinstalled as the legitimate owner of your account?
Could this be due to the fact that I sent some emails with CCC addresses?
Collapse

Eileen Brophy
Eileen Brophy  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Contacting ProZ.com about security Sep 30, 2009

I have looked on this site for who to contact and they say we should contact [email protected].

I have sent an email to that address asking what they intend to do as I have received comments about this site's security from other translators and I have also received a Nigerian Scam type email via ProZ.com.

I contacted ProZ.com earlier regarding my Nigerian Scam type email
... See more
I have looked on this site for who to contact and they say we should contact [email protected].

I have sent an email to that address asking what they intend to do as I have received comments about this site's security from other translators and I have also received a Nigerian Scam type email via ProZ.com.

I contacted ProZ.com earlier regarding my Nigerian Scam type email but have had no reply, so I sent an email to [email protected] tonight.

Maybe if sufficient people complain about their security issues and threaten not to renew membership (I am seriously considering not renewing), then they might just do something about this problem.

Now it is a question of waiting to see how they react, unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Eileen
Collapse

Mónica Sauza
Mónica Sauza  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Eileen... Sep 30, 2009

...there have been several security issues. Not long ago I received a security warning from ProZ after the site had been hacked, but it seems security is an ongoing problem as others have had their e mail addresses hacked. I personally have received more than one e mail, supposedly from ProZ, requesting more information than the one needed by someone who requires translation services...Too scary!!! And unfortunately this problem might lead to many membership cancelations.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just to clarify Oct 1, 2009

Hi Eileen and Mónica,
thanks for taking the time to reply. Anyway I would like to clarify my post, the ISP I am talking about is a major Internet actor located in CA and is completely independent from ProZ.com and the services offered here. And - most important - the e-mail address I use on ProZ.com is different from the one having those problems.
Although I fail to see how this e-mail account could have been hacked (and this is my main business account), I cannot exclude the p
... See more
Hi Eileen and Mónica,
thanks for taking the time to reply. Anyway I would like to clarify my post, the ISP I am talking about is a major Internet actor located in CA and is completely independent from ProZ.com and the services offered here. And - most important - the e-mail address I use on ProZ.com is different from the one having those problems.
Although I fail to see how this e-mail account could have been hacked (and this is my main business account), I cannot exclude the possibility of some dirty work at the crossroads...

What happens is that my outgoing emails are blocked at random (or so it seems) with the indication about the so-called "suspicious activity" - no other information is provided.
I am getting worried not only about this, but also because the amount of spam I am currently receiving is growing by the day.

Again, thanks for your replies. I guess I will have to change the ISP if the current one doesn't reply soon with documented indications as per the "suspicious activity".

[Edited at 2009-10-01 03:52 GMT]
Collapse

Ilaria Ciccioni
Ilaria Ciccioni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Same problem with gmail Oct 1, 2009

I had the same problem with my gmail account a couple of years ago. It all started with the same "error message" referring to some "suspicios activity" and for three days I was able to access my account only re-inserting username, password and security code at every "log-in". One morning, all of a sudden, my account was gone and all my emails with it. I sent more than 10 emails to the support service, the answer was always the same (automatic answer I suppose): suspicios activity was detected on... See more
I had the same problem with my gmail account a couple of years ago. It all started with the same "error message" referring to some "suspicios activity" and for three days I was able to access my account only re-inserting username, password and security code at every "log-in". One morning, all of a sudden, my account was gone and all my emails with it. I sent more than 10 emails to the support service, the answer was always the same (automatic answer I suppose): suspicios activity was detected on my account and they needed to investigate, they could not tell whether I could have my account back. I immediately created a new account and sent an email to alla my clients informing them about the new address.
Finally I had my account back after 3 days but they asked me to change my password. I now have 3 backup accounts with 3 different providers
The same happened to a colleague of mine but as soon as he received the error message about the suspicios activity I suggested to change the password and it worked.
So my suggestion is:
1- Try changing the account password
2- Create a backup of all your emails and contacts before it's too late

Ilaria
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Action taken Oct 1, 2009

Ilaria Ciccioni wrote:

So my suggestion is:
1- Try changing the account password
2- Create a backup of all your emails and contacts before it's too late

Ilaria

Many thanks for telling me your story, Ilaria. I have taken the first action suggested yesterday evening and must think of creating a backup very soon. Curious that such things always seem to happen when you don't have the time and/or patience to deal with them...
What these incidents tell me so far is that most ISP's are unable to guarantee security and privacy to a level which would justify the amounts paid by their customers.

[Edited at 2009-10-01 07:18 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending of emails blocked: "suspicious activity on your account"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »