https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/23084-more_than_80_%2Amail_delivery_failed%3A_returning_message_to_sender%2A_a_day_help.html

More than 80 >*Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender* a day-HELP
Thread poster: ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 20, 2004

Hello,
since I configured new mail account through ProZ Hosting (may not have anything to do with it) I recieve 80 to 150 mails though this mail accoutn wit the above mentioned subject every day...very anoying.

I already scanned my comp for virus and also have a Anti Virus Software...seems I do not have a Virus.
Thanks,
Natália

Here a copy of the mail, can somebody please help me :

This message was created automatically by
... See more
Hello,
since I configured new mail account through ProZ Hosting (may not have anything to do with it) I recieve 80 to 150 mails though this mail accoutn wit the above mentioned subject every day...very anoying.

I already scanned my comp for virus and also have a Anti Virus Software...seems I do not have a Virus.
Thanks,
Natália

Here a copy of the mail, can somebody please help me :

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[Edited at 2004-07-20 15:35]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:47
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request, and edit your post... Jul 20, 2004

Hi Natália,
May I suggest that you submit a Support Request to ProZ.com staff. Also, you shouldn't post all those details, particularly your e-mail address: publicly-posted addresses are a favourite target for spammers...

Best regards, Ralf

ncfialho (X)
ncfialho (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:47
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I already tried Jul 20, 2004

Hello Ralf,
I already mailed with Jason but for some strange reason I am not able to send an email to the support.
Thanks,
Natália

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Natália,
May I suggest that you submit a Support Request to ProZ.com staff. Also, you shouldn't post all those details, particularly your e-mail address: publicly-posted addresses are a favourite target for spammers...

Best regards, Ralf

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
**Support Request** - not e-mail Jul 20, 2004

Hi again,
I already mailed with Jason but for some strange reason I am not able to send an email to the support.

You see, that is exactly the reason why you shouldn't attempt to contact ProZ.com staff by e-mail - AFAIK Jason was out for a few days. Had you submitted a Support Request, ProZ.com staff would have been able to forward your message to someone else.

Best regards, Ralf

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
IMHO... Jul 20, 2004

... it doesn't mean that YOU have a virus, but that SOMEONE who happens to have your e-mail address in their address book (or somewhere in their computer) does have a virus.

These e-mails are usually a sneaky way to make you look at the attachment, which contains the virus!

Plus, the address in the From: field may have been spoofed.

I know it's annoying, at one period a few weeks ago I could get dozens a day! Just delete them, and do not worry: you have not
... See more
... it doesn't mean that YOU have a virus, but that SOMEONE who happens to have your e-mail address in their address book (or somewhere in their computer) does have a virus.

These e-mails are usually a sneaky way to make you look at the attachment, which contains the virus!

Plus, the address in the From: field may have been spoofed.

I know it's annoying, at one period a few weeks ago I could get dozens a day! Just delete them, and do not worry: you have nothing to do with that
Collapse

Yuri Dubrov
Yuri Dubrov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:47
English to Russian
+ ...
It is simple. Jul 20, 2004

Hi, everybody!

Somebody has stolen your email address for spamming (or uses it as his main reply-to address). And all return mails if there are no proper target email addresses reach your mail box.

Just delete all messages.

BUT THERE MIGHT BE ALSO SOME VIRUS BODIES in ATTACHMENTS. Its another method of harming your PC.

regards,

Yuri

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
use filters Jul 20, 2004

Your email program probably allows you to specify filters to filter out spam (like yahoo and hotmail under "mail options"). Now, this is a little complicated but it should save you lots of aggravation:
Compare the bogus messages you are receiving with a real failed mail delivery. You may have to "show full headers" on the email you received to see a few unique words in the text or in the header that differ from a real failed delivery message (possibly "This is a permanent error" might not
... See more
Your email program probably allows you to specify filters to filter out spam (like yahoo and hotmail under "mail options"). Now, this is a little complicated but it should save you lots of aggravation:
Compare the bogus messages you are receiving with a real failed mail delivery. You may have to "show full headers" on the email you received to see a few unique words in the text or in the header that differ from a real failed delivery message (possibly "This is a permanent error" might not be the normal way these messages read). Find a series of numbers or a very unusual word in the fake text and make a filter block/send to trash every incoming email that contains that series of numbers or unique word in the text body, the header or in the "from" line. Make sure you don't filter out potentially valid messages!!
Feel free to email me directly if this isn't clear. See my profile for the email address.
good luck. - dave
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I know... Jul 21, 2004

These messages came for months, but now they have stopped. Instead I started recieving messages from myself, that means the sender fielt has my name.
I use Thunderbird since March, and it helps a bit. The only way would be to change the email address and not publish the new address anywhere.
Still last automn on holiday I was able to read my mail with my mobile phone, but not anymore. Everyday I get 100 or so spam messages, and it would take hours to scan them by mobile phone.

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
they come from abuse of your domain Sep 28, 2004

Hi Natália.

It is very simple:

In your webhost account you most likely have a "catch-all" option, that will forward all email sent to ANY address on your domain to your main e-mail address.

Spammers are using you domain as fake sender address of their spam mails. What they do is take your domain and make up thousands of email addresses from that and use thos
... See more
Hi Natália.

It is very simple:

In your webhost account you most likely have a "catch-all" option, that will forward all email sent to ANY address on your domain to your main e-mail address.

Spammers are using you domain as fake sender address of their spam mails. What they do is take your domain and make up thousands of email addresses from that and use those as sender in their mails (like: [email protected] [email protected] etc etc...)

When all of these mails reach their target, it turns out that many of them do not exist, and are returned to sender. And since the sender addresses are on your domain the "catch-all" function on your domain/webhost will send these emails to your email account.

It sounds complicated, but isn't really.

In short, turn off the "catch-all" function for e-mail sent to addresses other than yours on your domain host. That way you will not receive all those fake emails, but only the ones that actually are addressed to you.

Dan

PS: Sorry for such a delayed reply, I don't check the forums as often as I should.

Natália Fialho wrote:

Hello,
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More than 80 >*Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender* a day-HELP

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »