https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/25536-anti_virus_software%3A_which_to_choose.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Anti-virus software: which to choose?
Thread poster: NancyLynn
NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 10:26
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Oct 10, 2004

Hello everyone,
The time has come for me to purchase new anti-virus software. I always used Norton, but with my new laptop came McAfee, which of course expired in short order, with lots of notices popping up to remind me to renew.

So my question is: which to choose? (I`m in Canada). I read that NAV is what slowed down my computer while using Tag Editor (?? I don`t understand how that can be, but there it is...)

Please share your experiences, so we can all become i
... See more
Hello everyone,
The time has come for me to purchase new anti-virus software. I always used Norton, but with my new laptop came McAfee, which of course expired in short order, with lots of notices popping up to remind me to renew.

So my question is: which to choose? (I`m in Canada). I read that NAV is what slowed down my computer while using Tag Editor (?? I don`t understand how that can be, but there it is...)

Please share your experiences, so we can all become informed consumers.

Thanks! Have a great Sunday.

Nancy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:26
English to German
+ ...
NAV slowing down TagEditor?? Oct 10, 2004

Hi Nancy,
I read that NAV is what slowed down my computer while using Tag Editor (?? I don`t understand how that can be, but there it is...)

Where did you read that?
I'm using TagEditor and Symantec AV (Corporate Edition 9.0) - no slowdown...

Puzzled, Ralf

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
It's up to you Oct 10, 2004

I often read about other poeple that say that their antivirus is the best, because they have never had any viruses on their computer...

I have used the Internet for ten years myself without having had any problems with viruses, and I believe that how you use the Internet, where you go, and if you use antivirus and a software and/or a hardware firewall is the most importance.

If you use NAV, Mcafee, F-secure or any other antivirus, and make sure you update it I am sure y
... See more
I often read about other poeple that say that their antivirus is the best, because they have never had any viruses on their computer...

I have used the Internet for ten years myself without having had any problems with viruses, and I believe that how you use the Internet, where you go, and if you use antivirus and a software and/or a hardware firewall is the most importance.

If you use NAV, Mcafee, F-secure or any other antivirus, and make sure you update it I am sure you will be as secure as you can be.
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
As slow as always Oct 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Nancy,
I read that NAV is what slowed down my computer while using Tag Editor (?? I don`t understand how that can be, but there it is...)

Where did you read that?

Puzzled, Ralf

I use NAV 10.0.1, and I agree with Ralf. TagEditor (I use the one that came with Trados 6.0 FE, 6.0.309)is just as slow as when I used F-secure...

In some cases TagEditor is one of the slowest softwares I have ever used. On my fast computer with 512 Mb RAM and a XP 2500 AMD processor TagEditor is terrible to work with. Especially is this the case when I have turned on spell checking via Word. I hope TagEditor has improved since my version...

TagEditor is quite fast when I work with smaller file sizes.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Here`s a link Oct 10, 2004

Heavy antiviruses - an experience May 25

Dear Nancy
As you may already know I have been compelled to buy a brand new computer on last Monday in emergency ..
It was sold with Norton, and seemed to me rather slow. In Tag Editor it was awful, about three words were written on the screen when I had indeed typed about 10.
I removed Norton, and took the occasion to try the new Panda Internet Security.
It was even worse, even with the minimum options turned on (antivirus and firewall).
I removed Panda Internet Security and simply installed my good old Panda 7 Platinum yesterday - like a miracle, the snail turned into a Ferrari

In short, it seems to me very possible that your antivirus is guilty.

This message, with many others, can be found here:http://www.proz.com/post/145442#145442

Nancy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It would be very interesting to know the version of Trados in question Oct 10, 2004

As TAG Editor has indeed had a big speed problem with one release, but it was almost immediately solved.
So I would assume, that in this case the TAG Editor itself is the problem, not NAV.

Norton does use a lot of ressources, especially if you use Norton Internet Security. But this can be noticed mostly at system start and when a virus check is running on your PC.
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro edition and have no problems with the speed of TAG Editor or oth
... See more
As TAG Editor has indeed had a big speed problem with one release, but it was almost immediately solved.
So I would assume, that in this case the TAG Editor itself is the problem, not NAV.

Norton does use a lot of ressources, especially if you use Norton Internet Security. But this can be noticed mostly at system start and when a virus check is running on your PC.
I'm using Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro edition and have no problems with the speed of TAG Editor or other Trados-components.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Almir Comor MITI
Almir Comor MITI  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
NAV can cause problems Oct 10, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I have had quite a few bad experiences with Symantec's software. A few years ago I was using Norton AV and my computer was inexplicably slow (MS office programs; starting the Word, for example). Last year I again installed Norton Internet Security (NAV + firewall) and soon thereafter some of my programs were taking longer to start. Word was particularly slow, and so were other MS Office programs. Also, right-click on a file in a folder would take forever. When I decided to deinstall Norton, I had to struggle with it to get it off my hard drive. Now I have McAfee and my programs (including Word) are very quick again. On the other hand, I did hear that Norton Corporate AV does not cause such problems.

HTH

PS Norton can cause problems no matter how powerful your computer is. I have 1 GB of RAM, 2 stripped hard drives (RAID-0) and 2.4 GHz Pentium processor and still my Word was taking some 10 seconds to open

[Edited at 2004-10-11 18:35]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Trados 5.5 fl + NAV 2002 Oct 10, 2004

Hi Jerzy,
You know me- I always forget some essential details.

It seems NAV does interfere with Tag Editor, if the testimony of several translators is to be believed...

Nancy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would say Oct 10, 2004

that any software interferes with other software.
We are comparing apples and pears here.
Sorry, but what you are using are both very old versions of the software. I can report problems using NIS 2003 on a quite fast machine, but I can't for sure tell, that the problems were caused by Norton itself. Possibly all the service packs and upgrades did not like each other...

Now I'm using NIS 2004 pro, Windows XP, Office XP, Trados 6.5.5 and do not encounter speed problems. I
... See more
that any software interferes with other software.
We are comparing apples and pears here.
Sorry, but what you are using are both very old versions of the software. I can report problems using NIS 2003 on a quite fast machine, but I can't for sure tell, that the problems were caused by Norton itself. Possibly all the service packs and upgrades did not like each other...

Now I'm using NIS 2004 pro, Windows XP, Office XP, Trados 6.5.5 and do not encounter speed problems. I have all the latest service packs (SP 3 for Office XP, SP 2 for Windows XP) and patches (Trados build 439). Because of quite good experiences with Symantec I will upgrade to NIS 2005 in the near future.

As Norton AV does not cost much, I would rather buy a new version each year instead of buying the upgrade service for one more year - this does cost allmost the same. And you really cannot stay and NOT upgrade your virus data base!

So once again, no matter which AV program you use, it is essential to keep it up to date. This is the most crucial factor. And investing between 29 and 49 $ a year for reasonable virus protection is not that much, isn´t it?

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Fixed Oct 10, 2004

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad wrote:

In some cases TagEditor is one of the slowest softwares I have ever used. On my fast computer with 512 Mb RAM and a XP 2500 AMD processor TagEditor is terrible to work with. Especially is this the case when I have turned on spell checking via Word. I hope TagEditor has improved since my version...

TagEditor is quite fast when I work with smaller file sizes.

Thanks to Jerzy I finally have installed a patch that takes care of this issue, and after testing TagEditor actually works as it should even with MS Word spell checker enabled.

Thanks.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get one package for firewall and virus protection Oct 11, 2004

I use F-Secure since two months and haven't noticed any interference since. But if the firewall and the virus protection are from different vendors problems usually arise. Some software all the time ask what to do with intruders or inform you of viruses in the mail. I do not need this information, as I do not open these attachments at all and Thunderbird automatically sorts them into the junk folder most of the time.
Actually I haven't had a virus for a looong time, so I do not know how F
... See more
I use F-Secure since two months and haven't noticed any interference since. But if the firewall and the virus protection are from different vendors problems usually arise. Some software all the time ask what to do with intruders or inform you of viruses in the mail. I do not need this information, as I do not open these attachments at all and Thunderbird automatically sorts them into the junk folder most of the time.
Actually I haven't had a virus for a looong time, so I do not know how F-Secure would react if I really would open such a file.
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
provider can block virusmails Oct 11, 2004

Concerning virusses coming in by mail:
Since I changed my provider in January:
no more spam
no more virus
My virussoftware got a bit bored.

Okay, this is not an answer to the question, but
I just wanted to mention this.
Because checking mail is much more
fun without alerts, warnings etc. (even by a good
virus scanner).

By the way Ive got a problem with N
... See more
Concerning virusses coming in by mail:
Since I changed my provider in January:
no more spam
no more virus
My virussoftware got a bit bored.

Okay, this is not an answer to the question, but
I just wanted to mention this.
Because checking mail is much more
fun without alerts, warnings etc. (even by a good
virus scanner).

By the way Ive got a problem with NAV
too, couldnt run it no more, so
I returned to the one (Antivir H Bedv)I had before.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2004-10-11 11:59]
Collapse

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:26
English to Romanian
+ ...
Kaspersky Oct 11, 2004

NancyLynn wrote:

So my question is: which to choose?
Nancy

Take it from one having worked as Technical Writer in the antivirus business.

R.,
Doru Voin

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
kaspersky Oct 11, 2004

I've never heard of it - where is it?

I agree with you, Jerzy, the cost of AV is small compared to fixing a virus problem.. it's just which one to buy.

As for upgrading to Trados 6.5.5, that's $1000 CA - I'll do that too, but maybe at the start of the new year

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions.

Nancy

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Kaspersky Oct 11, 2004

NancyLynn wrote:

I've never heard of it - where is it?

http://www.kaspersky.com/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-virus software: which to choose?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »