How to get rid of "the cool bar"?
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 13, 2004

Hello all,

Something called "the cool bar" installed itself on my Internet Explorer.

I block pops and ads (I have Google bar installed), but ever since this thing appeared, unwanted pop-ups keep bothering me.

How should I get rid of it?

Many thanks
nadia

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:39
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Spyware Oct 13, 2004

It looks like spyware. Do you have any form of Firewall? They are supposed to protect you from spyware as well. In any case, get a programme that deals with spyware. I have SpyBot (Search and Destroy) and it works well. Plus it is free.

Good luck,
Burrell

[Edited at 2004-10-13 10:46]

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't trust only one... Oct 13, 2004

Burrell wrote:
It looks like spyware.
I have SpyBot (Search and Destroy) and it works well. Plus it is free.

Yes, it definitely IS spyware.
I installed a screensaver yesterday and it wanted to install a number of rubbish add-ons. I could block a few with SpyBot (S&D Resident) but when it finished I was left with an annoying search bar at the bottom of the screen.
I uninstalled via the normal uninstall procedure all I could identify (first thing the screensaver!!!).
Then ran SpyBot (S&D), that deleted some more bits.
Then I ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal (also free) and it still found even some more things!!
I finished off with Registry Cleaner (although I don't advice this last if you're not sure what you're doing!)

Conclusion, system clean again, but after 20 minutes of Sherlock Holmes investigation through the system and fiddling with things.

Hope you can get rid of the intruder!
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-10-13 13:56]

Nathalya
Nathalya  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lavasoft Ad-aware efficient Oct 13, 2004

I agree with Graciela, Lavasoft Ad-aware definitely does the trick for me too, when unwanted spyware tries to intrude my computer. So far I've always been able to deal with the spyware by running Lavasoft Ad-aware. Also try Zone-Alarm Pro, which is a good program for blocking hackers and spyware.

Greetz,

Nathalie

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Lavasoft Ad-aware Oct 13, 2004

[quote]Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Then I ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal (also free) and it still found even some more things!!

After reading your comments I installed Lavasoft Ad-aware as well and it found loads of suspicions stuff on my computer. Thanks for the tip!

Burrell

[Edited at 2004-10-13 16:32]

Dan_Silverlock
Dan_Silverlock
Local time: 10:39
English to Italian
Deleting Coolbar Oct 14, 2004

linadia wrote:

Hello all,

Something called \"the cool bar\" installed itself on my Internet Explorer.

I block pops and ads (I have Google bar installed), but ever since this thing appeared, unwanted pop-ups keep bothering me.

How should I get rid of it?

Many thanks
nadia

This certainly could be a SpyWare issue in which case you may need software to get rid of it.

However the problem could also me much more simple to deal with.

1.Right-Click on the \"Internet Explorer\" icon on your desktop, and select Properties.

2.Under the first tab \"General\", click on the button that says \"Settings\".

3. Then click \"View Objects\"

A window will open up with various files. (If you look at the address bar at the top you\'ll see that you are in \"C:\\WINDOWS\\Downloaded Program Files\". Some of these files will be named, and some will be just a string of numbers.

4. Right-Click on all files seperately and again select \"Properties\".

5. You will see that the last field \"CodeBase\" is a website address. This is how you can tell if what\'s there is something you need, or don\'t need.

For example:

For me the file \"{33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}\" correcsponds to the address \"http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB\"

This ActiveX Control, I know is used by Windows Media Player. I know that this is safe because the address is a Microsoft web address.

If you check the files in this folder you may notice some strange website addresses. (If you can see the whole address, just highlight it and keep scrolling to the right, then you\'ll see the whole address bit by bit)

You may see that one of these files corresponds with http://www.coolbar.com/bar.html or something along those lines. Delete this file! That will get rid of coolbar.

For me, if I don\'t know the website address, or if the address looks \"dodgy\", then I just delete the file.

I realise that this is a long winded explanation, but I hope it helps.

Dan

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I installed all kinds of spywares but the cool bar is still there Oct 16, 2004

Thank you all for you most helpul replies.

I installed and updated four spywares and they catch stuff all the time, but the cool bar is still there.

I will try Dan's method and tell you if it worked.

nadia

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good link to get rid of spywares Oct 16, 2004

I found this page:

http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

It has links on how to get rid of adwares and spywares.

nadia

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
it seems to be a hard one Oct 16, 2004

linadia wrote:
I will try Dan's method and tell you if it worked.
nadia

Hi Nadia, I just came through this link http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spw_rm_CoolBar.html

Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.
Just in case, whatever method you try, make backups of your important files because as this spyware seems to be hard to remove, the methods might include fiddling with files or commands that only experts can know for sure if they'll work without harming anything else.

Good Luck,
Grace.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HijackThis got me rid of the Cool bar and Searchbar Oct 20, 2004

Hi all,

For days I've been looking high and low to get rid of these spywares.

I tried all your tips. It cleaned my PC from many spywares except something called "Searchbar".

Until I finally found this:
... See more
Hi all,

For days I've been looking high and low to get rid of these spywares.

I tried all your tips. It cleaned my PC from many spywares except something called "Searchbar".

Until I finally found this:

HijackThis v1.97

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.html

It is a freeware, works fine, with one drawback, it cannot tell good from bad, so you have to choose what to delete and what to leave out.

Good luck to you all and have a safe browsing.

nadia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get rid of "the cool bar"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »