https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/30583-im_on_internet_sites_ive_never_subscribed_to.html

I'm on Internet sites I've never subscribed to
Thread poster: Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
Local time: 02:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2005

Today I entered my name in the Google search page and I found out that my CV is included in sites I don't know and to which I've never subscribed.
How is it possible and how can I remove these references?
Thank you
Pamela

Alp Berker
Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:26
Turkish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Contact them if you can Mar 19, 2005

Pamela,
I would contact them if you can. If there is an email address on the page, inform them that your CV was posted without your permission and that it should be removed. I would also ask how they put it there etc. If there are no emails etc. I would see about maybe informing your clients or other interested parties that you have a CV out on the internet that was posted without your permission. Unfornately the internet is a unregulated and open place and you can find information on your
... See more
Pamela,
I would contact them if you can. If there is an email address on the page, inform them that your CV was posted without your permission and that it should be removed. I would also ask how they put it there etc. If there are no emails etc. I would see about maybe informing your clients or other interested parties that you have a CV out on the internet that was posted without your permission. Unfornately the internet is a unregulated and open place and you can find information on yourself at unlikely sources.
good luck,
Alp Berker
Collapse

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
search engines? Mar 19, 2005

Ciao Pamela,

are those sites engines or directories? they must have pulled the data from your Proz profile anyway. Even if that is public, you can always try and contact them and ask them to remove it because you authorised that content to be displayed on Proz only. I'm not sure, but even search engines should comply with that kind of request (for instance google has a "remove your site" option).

Monica

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 19, 2005

Alp and Monica,
I'll try and contact them.
They surely took my CV from Proz by means of automatic grabbing or something like that.

Thank you very much
Pamela

Lingo Pros
Lingo Pros
United States
Local time: 20:26
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Don't add your CV to any online listing! Mar 25, 2005

Pamela,

I checked your profile with Proz. Your CV is there. Any other agency can easily copy it and add it to its database and that's what they do! It is completely wrong to add your CV to any online profile, as you don't know who is copying it where...

One can add in his profile that his CV can be sent after a client introduces himself and his company first. You can check their website, google their name and check the blueboard first. Then formally ask them never to p
... See more
Pamela,

I checked your profile with Proz. Your CV is there. Any other agency can easily copy it and add it to its database and that's what they do! It is completely wrong to add your CV to any online profile, as you don't know who is copying it where...

One can add in his profile that his CV can be sent after a client introduces himself and his company first. You can check their website, google their name and check the blueboard first. Then formally ask them never to publish your CV online or give it to third parties or you'll legally act on that.

ATA profiles are the other part of the problem as your e-mail address there is not hidden to others as it is in Proz, so they can be stolen by spammers. After I registered with ATA, scam mails like the ones from Nigeria started to appear in my mailbox. I didn't enter my postal address there for the same reason, but ATA asked for it afterwards. You can read more about it in my posting to the forum 'Internet for translators', topic "GMail: The security concerns".

Just remember: Give the least personal information online. If any website insists on getting more information from you, be suspicious why! An e-mail and the city you work in for interpreting cases are all needed for a client to contact you. Don't give your home/office address/phone numbers, even cell number online. Only provide your e-mail address in any online profile.

[Edited at 2005-03-25 08:36]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm on Internet sites I've never subscribed to

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »