https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/30875-whats_the_best_back_up_program_for_translators.html

What's the best back-up program for translators?
Thread poster: Nadjezda Heymans (X)
Nadjezda Heymans (X)
Nadjezda Heymans (X)
Local time: 00:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 30, 2005

Dear translators,
I carry my desktop from one place to another (why not buy a laptop, one would say...). I really need to start using a back-up program but am not sure which one is the best. What do you recommend?
Thanks, Nadjezda

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-03-30 19:48]

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:03
English to Spanish
BounceBack Mar 30, 2005

I recently purchased an external Seagate hard drive bundled with a backup program called BounceBack. The software is extremely user-friendly, and the hard drive is as fast as lighting. I am so happy and relieved! It cost me less than $300US.

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Most backup hard drives come with backup software Mar 31, 2005

Most external hard drives marketed as backup devices come with their own backup software. For instance, Dell has been hard-selling the Maxtor One-Touch drive, which comes with a simplified "one-touch" backup system.

I use SecondCopy 2000 by Centered Systems:

http://www.centered.com/

I don't carry a laptop either. I carry the files I need on a removable device, and the MS Of
... See more
Most external hard drives marketed as backup devices come with their own backup software. For instance, Dell has been hard-selling the Maxtor One-Touch drive, which comes with a simplified "one-touch" backup system.

I use SecondCopy 2000 by Centered Systems:

http://www.centered.com/

I don't carry a laptop either. I carry the files I need on a removable device, and the MS Office Proofing Tools CD, because most computers I end up working on do not have the spellcheckers I need. I also carry a keyboard and a mouse, just in case I was asked to work at a laptop. I think that the laptop keyboard and mouse are rediculous. The new widescreen laptops should have a keyboard configuration that is identical to the desktop keyboard. In addition to being reconfigured, the laptop keyboard needs to be pulled forward so that it is at the edge nearest you.

That is why I think that the new Mac mini is a brilliant idea. It is too bad that Apple is marketing it merely as a cheapo, when they could be marketing it as a marvelous achievement in miniaturization and portability - a desktop that fits in your purse. They should be developing more powerful versions of it. In order for that to work as an alternative to laptops, a portable monitor needs to be developed. Alternatively, Hotel rooms should be equipped with computer monitors. Perhaps in the future, the hotel room TV could function as a monitor. That way, one could carry a Mac mini (or a future Windows version of it), a keyboard, and a mouse.

All of this would be unnecessary if they would only reconfigure the laptop keyboard.
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
UltraBackup Mar 31, 2005

Hi,

I use UltraBackup (available on www.astase.com), which is a very powerful and user-friendly freeware. Very easy to use and very practical. The web site is in Frencht, but I think the software is localised in English and other languages (you choose during set up).

HTH,
Sylvain

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Five free back-up utilities Apr 1, 2005

I don't know how good these are, but here is a list of PCWorld's 5 favourite free back-up utilities.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I use Novaback Apr 5, 2005

Hi! It backsup to DVD of 8,5GB, the newer version is supposted to do more. This way it is easy to backup full harddisk and restore to a new one on a different location.
check google for nova product range. They have onle limited selection.Rgds, Brandis

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I-Omega Apr 6, 2005

external hard drive (I have 80 Gb, it was about EUR 120) comes with a backup program (you can change settings as to your choice- backup once a day, every 5 minutes, or as soon as file is changed, whatever according to your choice. You also can choose what to backup- from whole drive(s) to specific files or folders).

Just recently I bought 60 Gb portable computer's hard disk with enclosure (about EUR 70, connects to computer via USB cable (standard USB connectors on both ends of the
... See more
external hard drive (I have 80 Gb, it was about EUR 120) comes with a backup program (you can change settings as to your choice- backup once a day, every 5 minutes, or as soon as file is changed, whatever according to your choice. You also can choose what to backup- from whole drive(s) to specific files or folders).

Just recently I bought 60 Gb portable computer's hard disk with enclosure (about EUR 70, connects to computer via USB cable (standard USB connectors on both ends of the cable), the enclosure is 135 x 80 x 15 mm and fits into my shirt pocket) and to my satisfaction learned that this software "Iomega Automatic Backup 1.0.2" supports simultaneous (but settings can be set individually to each external drive) backup to both drives.

Uldis

[Edited at 2005-04-06 20:47]
Collapse

Tekkie (X)
Tekkie (X)
English to German
+ ...
The best solution: Incremental backup May 3, 2005

A good solution for non-incremental backup can be found here:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

However, I recommend to use Dantz's Retrospect (http://www.dantz.com). This software is capable of backup up incrementally. This means that all new or modified files are appended to an existing back
... See more
A good solution for non-incremental backup can be found here:
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

However, I recommend to use Dantz's Retrospect (http://www.dantz.com). This software is capable of backup up incrementally. This means that all new or modified files are appended to an existing backup.

If you accidentally delete a file that has already been backed up, it will still be available in the backup, ready to be restored if required.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best back-up program for translators?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »