I'd like to get rid of an Internet Explorer ad-on
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 25, 2005

Hello,

I've been browsing the Internet looking for webpages of famous quotations in French, when I saw an ad about some writing contest. So I had a quick glance, just then I was warned by two antispyware programs (WinPatrol and Spywareguard) about an Internet Explorer ad-on that tries to install itself on my system.

Ever since, I'm prompted with the same warning messages from both programes. I scanned my computer with "Norton antivirus", "Adaware" and "Spywareblaster" a
... See more
Hello,

I've been browsing the Internet looking for webpages of famous quotations in French, when I saw an ad about some writing contest. So I had a quick glance, just then I was warned by two antispyware programs (WinPatrol and Spywareguard) about an Internet Explorer ad-on that tries to install itself on my system.

Ever since, I'm prompted with the same warning messages from both programes. I scanned my computer with "Norton antivirus", "Adaware" and "Spywareblaster" and removed everything that is suspicious.

But I don't seem to get rid of that registry entry. I didn't want to mess up with the Registry Editor as I'm not an expert.

I'd like to get rid of this spyware and stop the warning messages that keep on popping endlessly.

I really appreciate all advice.

Thank you
nadia
Collapse

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:04
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
A try Apr 25, 2005

Hi Nadia
I have just read that page yesterday
http://forum.pcastuces.com/sujet.asp?SUJET_ID=8269
since you seem to read French, you should be able to understand the whole post.
If not, the link to the software is
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
and the software is in E
... See more
Hi Nadia
I have just read that page yesterday
http://forum.pcastuces.com/sujet.asp?SUJET_ID=8269
since you seem to read French, you should be able to understand the whole post.
If not, the link to the software is
http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/
and the software is in English.

I don't know what it's worth as I haven't tried it, but since the poster is usually serious it might be worth trying.

Florence
Collapse

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
post the exact details Apr 25, 2005

you should post the exact info here on proz or even better yet in the forum (probably have to register first) here:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/lofiversion/index.php/
Then you'll find an expert quickly to talk you through the removal.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 17:04
French to English
+ ...
A suggestion Apr 25, 2005

linadia wrote:

Hello,

Ever since, I'm prompted with the same warning messages from both programes. I scanned my computer with "Norton antivirus", "Adaware" and "Spywareblaster" and removed everything that is suspicious.

But I don't seem to get rid of that registry entry. I didn't want to mess up with the Registry Editor as I'm not an expert.

I'd like to get rid of this spyware and stop the warning messages that keep on popping endlessly.

I really appreciate all advice.

Thank you
nadia

Stop using Internet Explorer. Use Firefox and you'll never turn back again.

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
Lavasoft adaware Apr 26, 2005

You can use AdAware by Lavasoft to check and clean both your system and registry for potential malware. It is safe and effective. And have a download link for a free trial period of 30 days.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

h.i.h.

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
everyone should basically have AdAware but Apr 26, 2005

You don't need to download a trial version, it's freeware (free). Check download.com and look under the spyware section.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 28, 2005

Hello,

Sorry about not replying earlier but I had an urgent job that kept me busy for two days.

I'd like to thank you all for your useful posts.

Well, I tried many things but nothing worked, so I thought the best way is to use the "windows restore point" option and return my PC to its previous state.

Oddie (Florence):
I will have a look at the link.
Yes I can read French.
Thank you.

David Green:
Since I don
... See more
Hello,

Sorry about not replying earlier but I had an urgent job that kept me busy for two days.

I'd like to thank you all for your useful posts.

Well, I tried many things but nothing worked, so I thought the best way is to use the "windows restore point" option and return my PC to its previous state.

Oddie (Florence):
I will have a look at the link.
Yes I can read French.
Thank you.

David Green:
Since I don't have the spyware any more, I will not be able to give details.
But I will use that service in the future if I ever need it.
Thank you

Timothy Barton:
I know that IE has many drawbacks, but it's the most commonly used and I sort of like it.
I switched to another browser (it was Modzilla I guess).
The browser was OK, but some sites wouldn't open properly in it.
Firefox is Chinese, right? I was going to try it once but hesitated.
Thank you for the tip.

Selcuk Budak:
I have "AdAware" but it doesn't remove everything.
I update it regularly, and it's easy to use and free as David Green said.

Thank you all again.
nadia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'd like to get rid of an Internet Explorer ad-on

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »