https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/33372-yet_another_new_virus_with_no_attachment.html

Yet another new virus (with NO attachment!!!)
Thread poster: Andrea Re
Andrea Re
Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:15
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2005

This morning I got an e-mail form Virgin (my broadband provider) saying that my password change had been accepted. Since I knew nothing about it I was suspicious, but I thought of a mistake.... I replied to the e-mail, but it bounced back. I started smelling something fishy, so I did a scan and found I-worm/mytob.if
Please note: there were NO attachements with the e-mail. This is why I was so naive. I looked it up on the internet and seemingly this is a new kind of virus that doesn't need
... See more
This morning I got an e-mail form Virgin (my broadband provider) saying that my password change had been accepted. Since I knew nothing about it I was suspicious, but I thought of a mistake.... I replied to the e-mail, but it bounced back. I started smelling something fishy, so I did a scan and found I-worm/mytob.if
Please note: there were NO attachements with the e-mail. This is why I was so naive. I looked it up on the internet and seemingly this is a new kind of virus that doesn't need an attachement to spread. Let's hope for the best.

Andrea
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:15
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Code is executed when previewing (if I am not wrong) Jun 14, 2005

Hi Andrea,

I presume you are accepting HTML messages..? I'd suggest to deactivate HTML and accept exclusively text-only emails. I admit that the colourful life of the HTML code is lost, but receiving emails will be much safer.

Giuliana

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
boring, but safe Jun 14, 2005

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hi Andrea,

I presume you are accepting HTML messages..?

Indeed I am/was ..... but the situation has been immediately rectified. I have now switched to the old and boring "plain text".

Grazie per l'aiuto Giuliana.

Andrea

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
Deactivate html Jun 14, 2005

I just wanted to check my settings in Mozilla Thunderbird but couldn't find how to do this. I went to the Help page but I didn't understand how to access this function. Can you help?

Many thanks,

Lucia

Nick Lingris
Nick Lingris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Greek
+ ...
What I do with my Outlook Express Jun 14, 2005

First of all, I have configured the Layout so that the Preview pane is not active. In this way, none of the messages that have active links or html code are opened automatically.

To do this in Outlook Express, go to View > Layout and uncheck Show Preview Pane.

If any of the messages sent to me look suspicious because of the sender, the title or even the list of recipients (all of them in columns of the basic layout), I never open the message.

I right-click
... See more
First of all, I have configured the Layout so that the Preview pane is not active. In this way, none of the messages that have active links or html code are opened automatically.

To do this in Outlook Express, go to View > Layout and uncheck Show Preview Pane.

If any of the messages sent to me look suspicious because of the sender, the title or even the list of recipients (all of them in columns of the basic layout), I never open the message.

I right-click on it and go to Properties > Details > Message Source. There I can read the message, see the details of the sender etc and understand if there is any suspicious link or attachment in the code.

I suppose similar facilities are available in other email programs.
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:15
German to French
+ ...
Virus + Spam, no doubt Jun 14, 2005

Hi,
I've just received the same message, allegedly sent by my provider Tiscali!!! But there was an attachment and I didn't open it since it was obvious that this was not a real e-mail from my provider - why would they suddendly write to me in English?
I got different versions from different fake addresses, telling me that my account was "misused, please check" or that my password change was accepted. The last one this morning threatens me of cancelling my account due to "a large amou
... See more
Hi,
I've just received the same message, allegedly sent by my provider Tiscali!!! But there was an attachment and I didn't open it since it was obvious that this was not a real e-mail from my provider - why would they suddendly write to me in English?
I got different versions from different fake addresses, telling me that my account was "misused, please check" or that my password change was accepted. The last one this morning threatens me of cancelling my account due to "a large amount of unsolicited spam messages" (do "solicited spam messages" exist anyway???) if I didn't confirm the attachment!
My provider told me that I should update my version of I.E. and check my computer for this worm. I hope it will be enough to stop this attack!

Marie-Céline
Collapse

Andrea Re
United Kingdom
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AVG Jun 14, 2005

[My provider told me that I should update my version of I.E. and check my computer for this worm. I hope it will be enough to stop this attack!

Marie-Céline
[/quote]

Hi Marie-Céline,

I use AVG and seems to work. I received 2 e-mails today (change of password and too much spam), but AVG seems to have reacted well..... I may decide to upgrade anyway, since the antispam I am using is a freebie that a friend of mine is using. I was told to go with Kaspe
... See more
[My provider told me that I should update my version of I.E. and check my computer for this worm. I hope it will be enough to stop this attack!

Marie-Céline
[/quote]

Hi Marie-Céline,

I use AVG and seems to work. I received 2 e-mails today (change of password and too much spam), but AVG seems to have reacted well..... I may decide to upgrade anyway, since the antispam I am using is a freebie that a friend of mine is using. I was told to go with Kaspersky, but since i have forked out some money for ZoneAlarm, I need to find something that is an antivirus only (probably AVG itself)

Andrea

Correction,

I've just received another "new password", but AVG has managed to stop it again.
BLAST!!

[Edited at 2005-06-14 15:17]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:15
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Kaspersky Jun 14, 2005

Dear Andrea,

Kaspersky 5 Personal *IS* Antivirus only, you just can choose (check) in your copy yourself whether to use Standard Antivirus bases (virus check only) or extended ones (includes also Spyware and Adware).
You can learn more visiting www.kaspersky.com

I certainly can recommend Kaspersky- I am using it for last 8 years without any incidents. BTW, at the moment Kaspersky
... See more
Dear Andrea,

Kaspersky 5 Personal *IS* Antivirus only, you just can choose (check) in your copy yourself whether to use Standard Antivirus bases (virus check only) or extended ones (includes also Spyware and Adware).
You can learn more visiting www.kaspersky.com

I certainly can recommend Kaspersky- I am using it for last 8 years without any incidents. BTW, at the moment Kaspersky Antivirus updates are provided hourly. You can download fully functional 30 day trial version there:
http://www.kaspersky.com/trials
I do not know if this trial version includes Maintenance Pack 3 released for Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 5.0 or you have to download and install it manually (I did), but it greatly increases already good functionality of KAV 5. BTW, KAV 5 catches all the @#$% as it enters your computer, not when it reaches your mail program, as previous versions did.

PS. I'm not reseller of KAV, just a fan of it

Uldis

Andrea Re wrote:
I use AVG and seems to work. I received 2 e-mails today (change of password and too much spam), but AVG seems to have reacted well..... I may decide to upgrade anyway, since the antispam I am using is a freebie that a friend of mine is using. I was told to go with Kaspersky, but since i have forked out some money for ZoneAlarm, I need to find something that is an antivirus only (probably AVG itself)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yet another new virus (with NO attachment!!!)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »