Help! Mouse freezes at startup – is this a virus?
Thread poster: uFO
uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 19:48
Korean to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2005

While I was online, my mouse suddenly froze. At first I thought that restarting my computer would solve the problem, but it did not. Windows (XP home edition) starts as usual, and the mouse works fine while login menu is displayed and at the beginning of windows startup. Then towards the end of stratup the mouse freezes. Another disturbing symptom is that I cannot access internet at all. I checked the driver and it seems to be fine, besides the mouse works just fine in the safe mode. Adaware sca... See more
While I was online, my mouse suddenly froze. At first I thought that restarting my computer would solve the problem, but it did not. Windows (XP home edition) starts as usual, and the mouse works fine while login menu is displayed and at the beginning of windows startup. Then towards the end of stratup the mouse freezes. Another disturbing symptom is that I cannot access internet at all. I checked the driver and it seems to be fine, besides the mouse works just fine in the safe mode. Adaware scan and Norton antivirus have not shown anything (but they have not been updated for a while and with internet not working there is no way I can update them now).
Is there anything else I can do to solve the problem, or should I just back up everything valuable from the safe mode and reinstall windows?
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:48
French to Spanish
+ ...
Try this. Jun 23, 2005

Start > All programs > Accesories > System tools > Restore system (Two days ago, for example). It might work.
Luck to you.

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still doesn't work Jun 23, 2005

thanks for the idea, i restored the system to last week's settings and, after that did not help, to the last month's settings, still to no avail... Any other ideas?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:48
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Jun 23, 2005

Check your computer for malicious software:
http://www.proz.com/topic/25645

Best,
Natalia

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, but... Jun 24, 2005

I installed the SpyDoctor, which cleaned my system a bit, but the mouse problem remains...

[Edited at 2005-06-24 01:12]

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
could be several things Jun 24, 2005

Check the mouse cable, that it's tightly connected to the back of the computer.

hit control+alt+delete then "task manager" to look at what processes are running when the mouse is frozen and under "performance" if you have a very high or low number - could be just a process trying to complete itself that freezes the mouse/computer because it needs so much memory). Anyway, the items listed under "processes" can be searched individually to see if they're normal and necessary processes
... See more
Check the mouse cable, that it's tightly connected to the back of the computer.

hit control+alt+delete then "task manager" to look at what processes are running when the mouse is frozen and under "performance" if you have a very high or low number - could be just a process trying to complete itself that freezes the mouse/computer because it needs so much memory). Anyway, the items listed under "processes" can be searched individually to see if they're normal and necessary processess. And check the programs under "applications" that are running at that time to make sure they are supposed to be running.
Post your question to a computer forum (links are somewhere in the proz forums to techie forums like geekstogo or techguy).
good luck
Collapse

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Serbian
+ ...
mouse freezes Jun 24, 2005

Try with another mouse. It worked for me.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Laptop? Jun 24, 2005

On my laptop there seems to be a conflict between the touchpad and the mouse plugged into the PS plug.
The symptoms are opposite to yours - the mouse pointer takes on a life all its own. A reset puts things right again.

1. If it's a laptop, disable the touchpad, reinstall the latest mouse driver.
2. If not, reinstall the mouse driver, or change the mouse (at least for a while, to see if the problem persists).

Uninstall the mouse drivers first, then install t
... See more
On my laptop there seems to be a conflict between the touchpad and the mouse plugged into the PS plug.
The symptoms are opposite to yours - the mouse pointer takes on a life all its own. A reset puts things right again.

1. If it's a laptop, disable the touchpad, reinstall the latest mouse driver.
2. If not, reinstall the mouse driver, or change the mouse (at least for a while, to see if the problem persists).

Uninstall the mouse drivers first, then install them again. Remove any leftovers manually, if you feel up to it.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2005-06-24 09:09]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Graphic board with a mouse port Jun 24, 2005

then it may lead to IRQ address conflict. It it is a USB port, you get a fastest and broadest datatransmission. I suggest you try another mouse like an optical mouse with 800 dpi. Rgds Brandis

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 15:48
English to French
+ ...
is this a cordless mouse? Jun 24, 2005

then it probably needs new batteries, I discarded mine when I got tired of putting in new batteries every single week.:o

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it's a built-in mouse Jun 24, 2005

I really don't think it's a mouse problem because mouse works just fine in the safe mode and halfway through the startup.

Jake Estrada FCIL CL
Jake Estrada FCIL CL  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 06:48
Member (2003)
English to Tagalog
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
try re-installing windows Jun 24, 2005

this is less probably a hardware problem than it is probably a problem with your OS (your windows may be corrupted). it's because your mouse does function at startup and freezes subsequently. also you're also having problems elsewhere while using your software.

I experienced this before, but not with my mouse but rather with my keyboard (the mouse worked fine).

if re-installing windows doesn't do the trick, then you may have to re-format the drive then re-install windo
... See more
this is less probably a hardware problem than it is probably a problem with your OS (your windows may be corrupted). it's because your mouse does function at startup and freezes subsequently. also you're also having problems elsewhere while using your software.

I experienced this before, but not with my mouse but rather with my keyboard (the mouse worked fine).

if re-installing windows doesn't do the trick, then you may have to re-format the drive then re-install windows as you may have bad sectors on your hard drive. these may be the cause of data corruption.

hth

[Edited at 2005-06-24 23:21]
Collapse

uFO
uFO  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks everyone Jul 2, 2005

After running numerous antiviruses and reinstalling all imaginable drivers I finally gave up and reinstalled the whole system.
Thanks for moral support and suggestions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help! Mouse freezes at startup – is this a virus?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »