Strange messages from 'yahoo admin'. A virus?
Thread poster: Natalie
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 23, 2005

Hi all,

I regularly receive strange messages (I have already received 3 of them, one daily) through Yahoo (I am using Yahoo mail account). I have sent a request to Yahoo team but received only an automatic reply, so I hope anybody would give me some clue what could these messages mean.

Well, as I have said, there were three messages (as for today evening). The messages are dropped to the 'Bulk' folder. The subjects are: 'You have successfully updated your password'(twi
... See more
Hi all,

I regularly receive strange messages (I have already received 3 of them, one daily) through Yahoo (I am using Yahoo mail account). I have sent a request to Yahoo team but received only an automatic reply, so I hope anybody would give me some clue what could these messages mean.

Well, as I have said, there were three messages (as for today evening). The messages are dropped to the 'Bulk' folder. The subjects are: 'You have successfully updated your password'(twice), and 'Your password has been successfully updated'.

The body of the messages is as follows:

------------------------------------------
Dear user [my user name],

You have successfully updated the password of your Yahoo account.

If you did not authorize this change or if you need assistance with your account, please contact Yahoo customer service at: [email protected]

Thank you for using Yahoo!
The Yahoo Support Team

+++ Attachment: No Virus (Clean)
+++ Yahoo Antivirus - www.yahoo.com
------------------------------------------

Each message contains a different attachment:
email_password.zip (31k)
twibrk.zip (31k)
lefpop.zip (31k)

I strongly suspect it is some kind of virus. But I am too busy at the moment to carry out any research to find out what could it be, so I would be grateful for any info.

[Edited at 2005-07-23 23:55]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:52
English to French
+ ...
I have been receiving those too Jul 23, 2005

Hi Natalie

I received a couple of those too, I disregarded them, and nothing happened. I think you can safely delete them.

HTH

Sarah

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Sarah Jul 23, 2005

Of course I deleted them, and had no intention to look what was in the zipped attachments

I am bothered because up to now my Yahoo account has been free from any spam.

In the meantime I have done a quick research and found that the messages contained the Mytob worm.

[Edited at 2005-07-23 23:55]

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:52
English to French
+ ...
Do you have a hotmail account? Jul 24, 2005

Hotmail's antivirus seems better than Yahoo's. Once I forwarded that strange email to my hotmail account out of curiosity, and sure enough hotmail told me the attachment was infected with a worm. Yahoo uses Dr N which is not the best around.

Balaban Cerit
Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:52
Member (2004)
English to Turkish
+ ...
our usual spam Jul 24, 2005

Hi Natalie,

In the past year, I have received similar e-mails seemingly from Yahoo, some as you say, some without attachments but requesting me to verify my account information. They are all to be deleted of course. Such e-mails all impersonate Yahoo, they don't ask for or send information that way.

You have been lucky regarding spam. Each day 10-20 e-mails are directed to my 'Bulk' folder. Sometimes it gets much worse. I guess we have to live with this.

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 23:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Talking about Yahoo Jul 24, 2005

sarahl wrote:
Hotmail's antivirus seems better than Yahoo's. Once I forwarded that strange email to my hotmail account out of curiosity, and sure enough hotmail told me the attachment was infected with a worm. Yahoo uses Dr N which is not the best around.

Yahoo uses virus scanning and cleaning from Norton AntiVirus, the difference is that unlike hotmail Yahoo scans the attachment only when you are trying to download it to your PC, so if Natalie tried to download it Yahoo would scan and refuse to do it.I receive lots of spam, scam (phishing, Nigeria letters etc.) and sometimes even viruses - gradually you get used to it.

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
English
Virus Jul 25, 2005

This is another virus that spoofs the senders email address. Chances are it didn't originate from a Yahoo account.

This stops you being able to email the real sender to warn them about the virus, prolonging the infection and increasing it's spread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange messages from 'yahoo admin'. A virus?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »