https://www.proz.com/forum/safe_computing/54756-how_to_delete_shortcuts_texts_very_urgent.html

how to delete shortcuts texts very urgent!
Thread poster: Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
English to Spanish
Sep 7, 2006

Ref.: Windows XP 2003

Hello

I have done lots of searches in the forums and cannot find how to delete "shortcut texts" that the computer memorises.

Probably this is an easy one but I am getting desperate, I really need to delete usernames and other things my computer is memorising. It saves time and one does not have to type the whole username, but I really can do with my computer not memorising all sorts of things.

Please, could anyone help me
... See more
Ref.: Windows XP 2003

Hello

I have done lots of searches in the forums and cannot find how to delete "shortcut texts" that the computer memorises.

Probably this is an easy one but I am getting desperate, I really need to delete usernames and other things my computer is memorising. It saves time and one does not have to type the whole username, but I really can do with my computer not memorising all sorts of things.

Please, could anyone help me urgently?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Marta
Collapse

Martin Feuk
Martin Feuk
Local time: 05:17
English to Swedish
TweakUI Sep 7, 2006

There is a utility from Microsoft called TweakUI that allows you to modify all sorts of things on your computer, including removing shortcut texts.

The program needs to be downloaded from Microsoft and installed. It can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Best regards,
M
... See more
There is a utility from Microsoft called TweakUI that allows you to modify all sorts of things on your computer, including removing shortcut texts.

The program needs to be downloaded from Microsoft and installed. It can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Best regards,
Martin
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Some settings are remembered by a browser Sep 7, 2006

If Firefox:
Tools/Options

Privacy menu

Go trough Forms data,Passwords,Cookies tabs clearing everything

(on Passwords tab you must press 'Browse passwords' button.

Names of options can be different: I use Polish version, so the above are my back translations.

[Edited at 2006-09-07 13:22]

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
how to delete shortcuts texts Sep 7, 2006

What exactly do you mean? There is no such thing as "Windows XP 2003" - there's Microsoft Windows XP (the operating system) and Microsoft Office 2003 (the application suite).

If what you mean is autocomplete in Internet Explorer, then go to: Tools - Internet Options - Content - AutoComplete... and uncheck the items you don't want to be autocompleted. You can also press Clear Forms or Clear Passwords in the same dialog box.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)
Marta Fernandez-Suarez (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:17
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 7, 2006

Thank you very much to you all!

Hynek,

You are right, Microsoft Windows XP as far as OS is concerned and then Microsoft Office 2003. Sorry, bear with my clear lack of knowledge (I bought my first computer 7 months ago, but high time I learned more about it...). The browser I normally use is Internet Explorer. I did what you said and unticked the options (forms, passwords and usernames) so it stops memorising things.

Robert and Martin,

... See more
Thank you very much to you all!

Hynek,

You are right, Microsoft Windows XP as far as OS is concerned and then Microsoft Office 2003. Sorry, bear with my clear lack of knowledge (I bought my first computer 7 months ago, but high time I learned more about it...). The browser I normally use is Internet Explorer. I did what you said and unticked the options (forms, passwords and usernames) so it stops memorising things.

Robert and Martin,

Thank you very much to you also for your prompt answer. I'll check the link. It says on the site you mentioned that it only works when your computer has US regional settings. I'll find what settings I have, but not sure if changing settings will affect me when it comes to using Trados and SDLX, I'll see.

Kindest regards,

Marta

[Edited at 2006-09-07 15:31]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to delete shortcuts texts very urgent!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »