Ad-aware updates apparently unavailable: anyone else getting the same message?
Thread poster: Buzzy
Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 12:30
French to English
Oct 4, 2006

Hi everyone,
For almost two weeks now, when I ask it to check for updates, ad-aware keeps telling me there are no updated definitions files available... this is beginning to feel suspicious! Is anyone else having the same problems, or can someone tell me how to find the updates manually?
Thanks
Buzzy

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Manual update Oct 4, 2006

Hi Buzzy,
I checked and for me it worked quite normally.

However, here are the instructions for manual update:

Manual Update*
In some circumstances, you may not be able to update the definition file by using WebUpdate. Reasons can include the server being too busy to process update requests, or proxy settings are not configured correctly in Ad-Aware. You can download the reference file manually using the following steps.

1. Close Ad-Aware
... See more
Hi Buzzy,
I checked and for me it worked quite normally.

However, here are the instructions for manual update:

Manual Update*
In some circumstances, you may not be able to update the definition file by using WebUpdate. Reasons can include the server being too busy to process update requests, or proxy settings are not configured correctly in Ad-Aware. You can download the reference file manually using the following steps.

1. Close Ad-Aware

2. Download the latest definition file in a ZIP file from Lavasoft's website*

3. Save it to a temporary location

4. When complete, unzip the contents of the file, either through your favorite ZIP utility or through built-in support in Windows, to the installation directory of Ad-Aware, which is usually C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Personal\

5. Open Ad-Aware

You can then confirm the latest definition file is installed by looking at the Initialization Status on the main Status screen.

* You must be connected to the Internet to update the definition file

HTH!
Collapse

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looks like they're just not terribly up to date! Oct 4, 2006

Thanks for your help Christel

I went to see on the website, and the latest update download they have dates from 19.09, which is the one I've already got. So it looks like I am in fact as up to date as them. It's just ironic that the software is telling me "your definitions are more than 2 weeks old - do you want to check for updates?" when there aren't any!

I'll just keep on running the ones I've got in the meantime!

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Mine were nearly 3 weeks old... Oct 4, 2006

... therefore the update worked for me:-)

Regards

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Configuration window Oct 4, 2006

If you click the "cog wheel" (second button from the left in the AdAware window, top LH corner), it will open on "General Settings".

There, you can change the time after which the program alerts you to outdated definition files. The default, I think, is 14 days.

If the messages bother you for some reason, change the time to, say, 30 days.

Pawel Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ad-aware updates apparently unavailable: anyone else getting the same message?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »