McAFee: Potential worm activity detected
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 12, 2006

Hello all,

McAFee detects potential virus activity from e-mails that are trying to be sent from my computer to addresses that I know nothing about.

Before I got these warning messages, McAFee detected several viruses in Temporary Internet Folder and deleted it. It seems that I got the infection from a website on travel articles, because the virus warning messages stopped when I closed the website pages. Then I started getting those messages.

What should I d
... See more
Hello all,

McAFee detects potential virus activity from e-mails that are trying to be sent from my computer to addresses that I know nothing about.

Before I got these warning messages, McAFee detected several viruses in Temporary Internet Folder and deleted it. It seems that I got the infection from a website on travel articles, because the virus warning messages stopped when I closed the website pages. Then I started getting those messages.

What should I do?

Thank you,
Nadia
Collapse

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
The first step is to scan your system Oct 12, 2006

Hi Nadia,

You need to locate the virus and blast it into outer space.

First, ensure that your virus definitions are up to date.

Then close down all active programs, including your Internet browser and your Internet connection. Run a full system scan using McAfee.

If the program identifies the virus, it will almost certainly offer to delete it or put it into quarantine.

After you have scanned your system you will probably want to s
... See more
Hi Nadia,

You need to locate the virus and blast it into outer space.

First, ensure that your virus definitions are up to date.

Then close down all active programs, including your Internet browser and your Internet connection. Run a full system scan using McAfee.

If the program identifies the virus, it will almost certainly offer to delete it or put it into quarantine.

After you have scanned your system you will probably want to switch the computer off, reboot and make sure everything is working. I personally would do a second full scan at this stage.

There are some viruses which can survive this process because they can replicate themselves. If the problem still exists after your system scan you may need a special tool (i.e. a software program) to blast the virus. You can obtain these from various sources including McAfee, e.g.
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=vrt
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/removaltools.jsp
http://www.kaspersky.com/removaltools

Read the instructions that come with the tool. They may ask you to turn off System Restore, in order to stop the virus replicating. Don't forget to turn it back on afterwards.

Good luck with this.

Alan
Collapse

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
System is virus-free Oct 16, 2006

Thank you Alan for your detailed help.
I scanned the system and there was no virus, but I will repeat the process just in case.
I turned off scanning outbound e-mails to get rid of the continuous warning messages from McAFee. And then I turned it on just now but I haven't rebooted yet to see if it's still there.
Nadia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

McAFee: Potential worm activity detected

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »