Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:11
German to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2006

This is for your information: I have not yet tried this add-on as I didn't know of its existence until this morning, but I want to inform you quickly, as it may be a more urgent issue for you than for me!
This is a free add-on to FireFox or Internet Explorer (there's also a paid-for version that does more) that warns you if a web site is not "safe". It is called siteadvisor and is from the well known anti-virus supplier McAfee.
This r
... See more
This is for your information: I have not yet tried this add-on as I didn't know of its existence until this morning, but I want to inform you quickly, as it may be a more urgent issue for you than for me!
This is a free add-on to FireFox or Internet Explorer (there's also a paid-for version that does more) that warns you if a web site is not "safe". It is called siteadvisor and is from the well known anti-virus supplier McAfee.
This review:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/90822/surf-safety-survey.html
gives you (in my opinion) better initial information about siteadvisor than its own web site, at http://www.siteadvisor.com/
To find out what you probably want to know, I suggest using the "learn more" link and the "analysis" tab on that page before going to the download page.
Happy new year!
Oliver
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Great add-on! Dec 29, 2006

I have used it since several months now and would never miss it again.

It's surprising how many trash you may risk coming across just doing a quite innocent research! So I never click any more on red-crossed links, of course.

Thank you for posting this. I think everyone should have it, just like an antivirus.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-12-29 18:58]

Rocío Cordero
Rocío Cordero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:11
English to Spanish
THANKS! Dec 29, 2006

This is what I was looking for!!!

It is an extremely useful add-on; it keeps the trash off and provides valuable information about each site you come across.

Thank you Oliver and happy new year!

Rocío

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Oliver! Dec 29, 2006

This tool looks great and, from what I see, one can even analyse specific sites online without downloading the add-on.

Christel, do you know if it is compatible with other antivirus software? I currently use NOD32 and, since Siteadvisor belongs to McAffee, I'm a little weary.

Thank you all, and have a great new year!
Andrea

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:11
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
As far as I know, no problem Dec 29, 2006

Andrea Riffo wrote:

Christel, do you know if it is compatible with other antivirus software? I currently use NOD32 and, since Siteadvisor belongs to McAffee, I'm a little weary.

I am currently using Bitdefender and never had any problem.

HTH!

Good luck and a happy new year to you all:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aid to safer surfing: Siteadvisor

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »