Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2007

Do you have experience or useful knowledge about this? I am asking in Proz because this has only happened to me while I was at the Proz Web site, and I wonder whether it is somehow "infected" with this software.

I would particularly like to know, if anybody can inform me:
how do the window and message box become active?
what is actually happening while they are there?

In the past month, I have two or three times experienced a pop-up window (web page) that an
... See more
Do you have experience or useful knowledge about this? I am asking in Proz because this has only happened to me while I was at the Proz Web site, and I wonder whether it is somehow "infected" with this software.

I would particularly like to know, if anybody can inform me:
how do the window and message box become active?
what is actually happening while they are there?

In the past month, I have two or three times experienced a pop-up window (web page) that announced itself as MalwareAlarm. A small message box popped up in the middle of this window at the same time, saying that malware (spyware? don't remember exactly) had been detected on my computer and I should click OK to download and install MalwareAlarm to detect and remove it.
I clicked on "Cancel" but it continued as if I had clicked OK. I don't remember exactly what the texts were or what I tried initially (because I wanted to get rid of it quickly in case it was downloading something while I was wondering what to do), but I was certain that I did not want whatever it was offering.
It happened again a few minutes ago and I could not make it go away by clicking on the [X] box in the top right of the message box, nor by doing the same in the web page. In the end I used the task manager (in Windows 98, CtrlAltDel) to force the browser (FireFox in my case) to exit. I then ran an AVG virus check and my C: drive was "clean".
I have searched for web pages about "malwarealarm" and found lots of them, mostly saying it is something you should avoid and many of them offering ways to remove it.
I have now modified my FireFox options. If you're interested (and remember I don't yet know whether this will solve the problem) I have turned OFF all the ticks (they were all ON) in Options > Content > Javascript Advanced (such as "Allow scripts to Move or resize existing windows").
Oliver
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
Spyware Nov 23, 2007

The popup window you see may be some sort of spyware. When I worked on Windows, I used two applications to make sure I had no spyware on my computer - my virus scanner itself was not capable of doing so.

I can't remember the name of one of the applications, but the other one was Spybot (see http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html)

You may wa
... See more
The popup window you see may be some sort of spyware. When I worked on Windows, I used two applications to make sure I had no spyware on my computer - my virus scanner itself was not capable of doing so.

I can't remember the name of one of the applications, but the other one was Spybot (see http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html)

You may want to have a look at this and see if it can detect anything on your PC.

Good luck,

Sonja
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IGNORE IT.... Nov 23, 2007

In the past month, I have two or three times experienced a pop-up window (web page) that announced itself as MalwareAlarm. A small message box popped up in the middle of this window at the same time, saying ...

Once you click on them, you're done, because THEY are the Troian horse delivery systems.

I avoid this kind of trouble by using Firefox and a mail service, that catches them, before they get to me.

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was my suspicion Nov 24, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
Once you click on them, you're done, because THEY are the Troian horse delivery systems.

When I clicked on the "Cancel" button the first time this happened, but the pseudo-warning did not go away, it was clear that the button either activated something undesirable or perhaps did nothing. That's why I wanted to stop the program activity as quickly as possible. My FireFox options include "Block popup windows" and "Warn me when web sites try to install extensions or themes".

After Sonja's suggestion, I ran Spybot Search & Destroy (after updating it, as I already had a version). It only found 3 tracking cookies (for Internet Explorer, which I don't usually use) and a log file for MainPean, which was over a year old. All of these are probably harmless.

Result: I think my PC is not infected with anything harmful, and I still don't know what was happening during these events.

Oliver

Damian Harrison (X)
Damian Harrison (X)
Germany
German to English
Malware Alarm is a trojan Nov 24, 2007

I had a similar problem recently. You should also notify proz admin that the site may have been infected.

This info is from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Malware_Alarm

Malware Alarm is a class of spyware known as "rogue antispyware." Malware Alarm is installed on your computer through trojans and computer exploits. Simply put, Malware Alarm invades your computer without you eve
... See more
I had a similar problem recently. You should also notify proz admin that the site may have been infected.

This info is from: http://hubpages.com/hub/Malware_Alarm

Malware Alarm is a class of spyware known as "rogue antispyware." Malware Alarm is installed on your computer through trojans and computer exploits. Simply put, Malware Alarm invades your computer without you even knowing it. Malware Alarm displays fake security alerts to trick you into buying their so called "antispyware software" when in fact they are spyware.

Malware Alarm symptoms include:

1. Icons that give you fake warnings about spyware being on your computer.

2. They will try to convince you to download and buy their full version of Malware Alarm to remove the "spyware" they detect on your computer.

3. When you click on the message box Malware Alarm will open their website and may try to install the full software program on your computer without your consent.

4. Your Internet Explorer default settings may be changed so you are redirected to their website at Malware Alarm.com

5. Malware Alarm may try to download other spyware onto your computer without your knowledge.

I don't recommend manually removing Malware Alarm because you will not be able to remove all the files associated with it. And if you remove the wrong files it may damage your computer.

Malware Alarm imbeds itself in your computer so well that many antispyware software can't remove it. If the experts can't remove it with their software and trained techs I don't recommend the average computer user attempt to remove it manually.
How to remove your Malware Alarm spyware infection...

I recommend getting a high quality legitimate antispyware software to remove your Malware Alarm infection. Here are the features I look for when rating antispyware software:

100% removal: Independent testing by leading sources like PC World magazine confirms that no antispyware software can remove all your spyware on the first scan. That's why it's important to choose antispyware software that provides you with a free custom update to remove all your spyware if it wasn't removed on the first scan. Make sure this service happens within a guaranteed amount of time. Do you really want to wait a week to get your spyware removed?

[Edited at 2007-11-24 10:02]
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Be careful. Nov 24, 2007

Popup windows saying that your computer is infected by viruses or malware are usually malware themselves. Their interface are misleading, and often not what're looks like what they are.

If you're using Internet Explorer 7.0, then those popups are prevented by default. You can enable it or add it to trust sites if you do want to show some other useful popup windows.

Some Antivirus software are also capable to preventing this unpleasant things. I would recommend Kaspersk
... See more
Popup windows saying that your computer is infected by viruses or malware are usually malware themselves. Their interface are misleading, and often not what're looks like what they are.

If you're using Internet Explorer 7.0, then those popups are prevented by default. You can enable it or add it to trust sites if you do want to show some other useful popup windows.

Some Antivirus software are also capable to preventing this unpleasant things. I would recommend Kaspersky.

Kind regards,
Haiyang
Collapse

Oliver Walter
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Useful warning Nov 24, 2007

Haiyang Ai wrote:
Popup windows saying that your computer is infected by viruses or malware are usually malware themselves. Their interface are misleading

I've added the emphasis because this is an important message, for those who don't realise this. I already knew that, which is why I tried to stop the process quickly.

I was using FireFox 1.5, with popups already disabled, so I am not sure whether this was a pop-up in the sense recognised by these browsers. As I mentioned in my first post, I have now turned off more permissions in my browser; all of them are what Javascript is allowed to do:
  • Move or resize existing windows;
  • Raise or lower windows;
  • Displace or replace context menus;
  • Hide the status bar;
  • Change status bar text.
The first two of these might possibly relate to the MalwareAlarm situation, and the others probably not. With protections and permissions on the Internet, a wise approach is probably: turn off all permissions, disable everything, until you know that you need it. Even then consider whether you should turn it off again after you've enabled it and used it because of a specific situation.
Greetings from Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MalwareAlarm

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »