scammer emailing through proz.com
Thread poster: Spiros Doikas

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 31, 2009

I received this:

My name is miss Sylvia.i saw your profile today
on(www.proz.com) and became intrested in you,i will also like to know more about you,and i want you to send a mail to my email address so that i can give you my picture for you to know whom l am.Here is my email address
(sylvia_948@yahoo.co.uk) .i believe we can move from here.I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love matters alot in life) please send me mail to my e mail address.
Please reply me with my email address here


a search for this email:
http://www.google.gr/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=sylvia_948@yahoo.co.uk


 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
French to German
+ ...
What I do in such cases Oct 31, 2009

I systematically report such emails as spams by using the link included in the email and block the sender/IP. It helps although it won't prevent the spammer/scammer to try their luck again with another email address/IP. But that's a part of the game, I guess...

[Edited at 2009-10-31 11:28 GMT]


 

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have already done that Oct 31, 2009

I just thought people should know, thanks.

 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
French to German
+ ...
Yes of course... Oct 31, 2009

Spiros Doikas wrote:

I just thought people should know, thanks.


This is indeed a recurrent plague and problem...icon_frown.gif


 

Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Reporting abuse of the ProZ.com mail system (Spam) Oct 31, 2009

Thanks for reporting this issue through the support system, Spiros. Appropriate action regarding this case has been taken.

As Laurent correctly explains, and as you did, Spiros, any abuse or email spam/scams/phishing through your ProZ.com mail service should be reported by submitting a support request via the support system (including a copy of the message received with headers) or else you can simply click on the link next to "Unsolicited advertising? Spam? click here:" line at the bottom of the email you received in your email inbox.

For Spam received as an instant message, you should click on the "Report Spam" button at the bottom of the message. In both cases a support request will be automatically generated containing all the necessary information ProZ.com support staff needs to take appropriate action.

Thanks again for your cooperation.

Regards,

Lucia


 

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I received this note too. Oct 31, 2009

and send a note to support. This is so annoying. Now Proz is used as a site for the lovelorn or worse.

Lucinda


 

Monika Elisabeth Sieger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
We always get such mails Oct 31, 2009

These mails are so annoying. My husband and I are both members of Proz and we always get such mails. I am afraid we have to live with this problem. My husband, a software architect tried to develop a filter of some kind but in the end he himself gave up.
Proz is almost free of it comparison to the junk we get via AOL or Yahoo. he providers seem to be helpless......

[Edited at 2009-10-31 15:12 GMT]


 

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it safe to open them? Oct 31, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

I systematically report such emails as spams by using the link included in the email and block the sender/IP. It helps although it won't prevent the spammer/scammer to try their luck again with another email address/IP. But that's a part of the game, I guess...

[Edited at 2009-10-31 11:28 GMT]


I've gotten two such e-mails. I opened the first one but became alarmed and closed and deleted it. The next one I immediately deleted. Are we sure it's safe to open them so that we can use that link?

Thanks,
Patricia


 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
French to German
+ ...
Your address is not disclosed Oct 31, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

I've gotten two such e-mails. I opened the first one but became alarmed and closed and deleted it. The next one I immediately deleted. Are we sure it's safe to open them so that we can use that link?

Thanks,
Patricia

Hi Patricia,
emails sent through ProZ.com are processed by the servers and sent by them to your address, so there is absolutely no risk you will confirm your address to the scammer/spammer by opening an email sent through ProZ.com.

@ sivara: so true, and the spams come again and again even if you delete them immediately (i.e. without opening them)... and I am speaking of a professional account!

[Edited at 2009-10-31 18:34 GMT]


 

paula13  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:33
Member (2005)
I got it too Oct 31, 2009

I got the same email, but from a different "sender." Should I report it or is that not necessary since other people already reported it?

 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
French to German
+ ...
Best thing is... Oct 31, 2009

paula13 wrote:

I got the same email, but from a different "sender." Should I report it or is that not necessary since other people already reported it?


to report it too, regardless of the fact it has already be done. The more, the better...


 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
Professional account? Nov 1, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

@ sivara: so true, and the spams come again and again even if you delete them immediately (i.e. without opening them)... and I am speaking of a professional account!

[Edited at 2009-10-31 18:34 GMT]


Spams coming from professional account? Then that means the spammer is a paying member, doesn't it? S/he must be looking for translation/interpretation jobs, but at the same time, more desperate in finding a soul mate at Proz.


 

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:33
French to German
+ ...
Just to clarify Nov 1, 2009

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

@ sivara: so true, and the spams come again and again even if you delete them immediately (i.e. without opening them)... and I am speaking of a professional account!

[Edited at 2009-10-31 18:34 GMT]


Spams coming from professional account? Then that means the spammer is a paying member, doesn't it? S/he must be looking for translation/interpretation jobs, but at the same time, more desperate in finding a soul mate at Proz.


Hi Yasutomo,
this was a reference to my professional email account featuring my domain name (krauland.biz)icon_wink.gif and was meant as a reply to sivara, who stated that "ProZ.com is almost free of spam when compared to AOL and Yahoo email accounts".

[Edited at 2009-11-01 06:32 GMT]


 

xxxBrandis
Local time: 16:33
English to German
+ ...
since a week I am getting the same mail from sylvia Nov 1, 2009

Seems to be a nigerian scam from senegal military camp. I feel somebody is copying mailsids or have access. Proz.com offers a very secure method and I do not know to explain, how this can happen. Is this person also a proz.com member?. Brandis

 

Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:33
German to Spanish
+ ...
Me, too... Nov 2, 2009

Hello, dear collegues,

I wanted to report that, me too, I received exactly the same e-mail.

In fact I wanted to let the proz-Staff know it, but as I first ticketed it as a spam, it dissapeared into the "spam folder" and I let it there.

Many greetings,
Helena


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

scammer emailing through proz.com

Advanced search







SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search