A new identity theft scam?
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:22
English to Russian
Apr 5, 2010

Today I received an e-mail message in very bad English notifying me that a certain Mr. John Sun (the author of the message is very inventive, isn't he/she?) has applied to this obscure domain-registering authority for registering a domain which is the same as mine except for the extensions of which they provided several like ".cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/.asia/ ". And the author warns me that if I don't reply to him within 5 days they will approve his application. That smacks of the old good identi... See more
Today I received an e-mail message in very bad English notifying me that a certain Mr. John Sun (the author of the message is very inventive, isn't he/she?) has applied to this obscure domain-registering authority for registering a domain which is the same as mine except for the extensions of which they provided several like ".cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/.asia/ ". And the author warns me that if I don't reply to him within 5 days they will approve his application. That smacks of the old good identity theft and my first inclination is not to reply at all. Has anyone received anything similar? And what would be the profit of the author if I replied to this message? They already have my e-mail address, so what would be their advantage if they get a reply from me?Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nothing new Apr 5, 2010

And I doubt their after your identity, just your money.

Unless you buy the domain from them, which they may or may not have a right to sell, within the timeframe specified, they intend to "sell" it to their, most likely non-exisiting, buyer.

So the simple answer is just to ignore the email, unless you have an urgent need for a .net.cn domain.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 20:13 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just forget about it! Apr 5, 2010

OK! Let them sell the domains. They surely don't have a buyer. They just want to know whether you fall in the trap and respond to the email, so that they can keep pestering you. Just forget about it! They probably send mass spam to a million domain owners.

By the way: they have your email because they can easily grab them from a whois search (look for your domain in www.allwhois.com and you will see
... See more
OK! Let them sell the domains. They surely don't have a buyer. They just want to know whether you fall in the trap and respond to the email, so that they can keep pestering you. Just forget about it! They probably send mass spam to a million domain owners.

By the way: they have your email because they can easily grab them from a whois search (look for your domain in www.allwhois.com and you will see that your email appears there quite clearly). You might want to discuss this with your ISP so that your email does not appear as the administrative contact, and your ISP's email appears instead.

[Edited at 2010-04-05 20:30 GMT]
Collapse

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
German to English
Ignore Apr 5, 2010

If you search for the name of this domain registration authority, you will probably find a flood of hits for this scam (including messages from people who fell for it).

Just ignore it.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
It is a scam Apr 5, 2010

I receive those all the time. The motivation from the mailer's perspective is to get in contact with someone that is "worried" about losing a branded website TLD - and then to convince you to pay legal fees and money to secure the rights to that url in specific TLD's. Another spin is where the fraudsters really do register your site and then try to scare you in to buying it back.

I would not bother with replying.

Drew

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:22
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you one and all Apr 6, 2010

Now it is abundantly clear. I never fell for the Nigerian letter type of scam or for any lottery or "your e-mail address has won a million pounds/dollars/euro" scams, but this "you'll loose your domaine name" threat is definetely a new twist. If all the previous schemes were based on human greed, this one is based on fear to loose your domaine name and is blackmail.
What surpises me about all of the scams I have come across is the fact that 99 per cent of them are written in very poor Engl
... See more
Now it is abundantly clear. I never fell for the Nigerian letter type of scam or for any lottery or "your e-mail address has won a million pounds/dollars/euro" scams, but this "you'll loose your domaine name" threat is definetely a new twist. If all the previous schemes were based on human greed, this one is based on fear to loose your domaine name and is blackmail.
What surpises me about all of the scams I have come across is the fact that 99 per cent of them are written in very poor English.
Thank you again for explaining to me the idea behind this scam.
Best regards,

Alex

[Edited at 2010-04-06 06:42 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new identity theft scam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »