Puzzled - Does anyone get this? (Email to me: "Hello, how do I translate this?")
Thread poster: Paula Borges

Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:47
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

I got an e-mail sent via Proz that simply said:

Hello, how do I translate this:

[paragraph to be translated that was probably taken from a contract including someone's name, birthplace and document number]

The person's profile had no information at all, and it said he/she was a member since Jun,2010.

It said nothing else. It is meant to sound like a colleague asking for help, but would someone I don't know just send me that and say nothing else? A whole paragraph including someone's personal info?

It seemed so strange I had to report it to Proz. Is it possible that someone is sending small bits to different members in hopes to translate a whole text for free?

Did anyone get any email like that?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-18 01:33 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:47
English to Japanese
+ ...
Similar Experience Jun 18, 2010

I had a similar experience, except that it occurred on a different translation portal. Someone (most probably a Brazilian Japanese) sent me an email from Brazil asking me how to write his/her name in kanjis (Japanese characters). I just ignored the email, since it was someone I never knew, the email account was an freemail account, plus no mention of how much would it cost to translate..., etc. I had other similar experiences, but just ignored them all.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:47
English to German
+ ...
Same here. Jun 18, 2010

Shortly before Christmas I received an email via ProZ. Somebody (not logged in and the email was signed with his first name only, according to the IP address the email was sent from Australia) asked me to translate a line that was apparently needed for a greeting card. No rate was inquired, no payment was offered. I ignored this request. Sorry. I didn't realize that ProZ.com can be mistaken for a free online translation tool, only with, yayyy!, real people.

Brazil
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still wondering Jun 18, 2010

I'm still wondering what this could be. As there is no information on the profile, and this user just joined Proz, I can't believe it'd be a peer asking for help. Isn't that what Kudoz is for?

Also, it included someone's name and ID number. Can't imagine translators sending e-mails with that sort of information to random people.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:47
English to German
+ ...
Hm.. maybe because their KudoZ question got squashed? Jun 18, 2010

Paula Borges wrote:

I'm still wondering what this could be. As there is no information on the profile, and this user just joined Proz, I can't believe it'd be a peer asking for help. Isn't that what Kudoz is for?

Because it contained more than 10 words? So they contact the translators individually? Just an idea.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:47
French to German
+ ...
A standard answer: Jun 18, 2010

"Hello, why do you need to know how I translate this?" or "Hello, why should I know how you could translate this?"

[Edited at 2010-06-18 15:34 GMT]

Brazil
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paranoid maybe? Jun 18, 2010

Most of the text consisted of names, places and numbers. Maybe I'm too paranoid when it comes to viruses, scams, hacking and other virtual threats, but I'd be more likely to reply if this person had anything on his/her profile and it hadn't been created so recently (maybe for this purpose only?).

I thought that maybe different parts of the text had been sent to different users, but apparently not.

[Edited at 2010-06-18 17:00 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Wrong answer Jun 18, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

"Hello, why do you need to know how I translate this?" or "Hello, why should I know how you could translate this?"

Although Laurent usually reads my mind (and although I've learned a lot from him over the years), I have to disagree on this one. My standard answer is SILENCE. Showing a possible scammer or e-mail addresses collector that my e-mail address is not only working but also active could be a mistake.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Smart! Jun 20, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Although Laurent usually reads my mind (and although I've learned a lot from him over the years), I have to disagree on this one. My standard answer is SILENCE. Showing a possible scammer or e-mail addresses collector that my e-mail address is not only working but also active could be a mistake.

Indeed, now I do not need to wonder anymore where some spam comes from. There is actually nothing to answer to such e-mails, the only response being deleting them.

[Edited at 2010-06-20 05:09 GMT]

Brazil
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
maybe it wasn't spam/threat Jun 21, 2010

but you can never be too careful these days...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Puzzled - Does anyone get this? (Email to me: "Hello, how do I translate this?")

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search