Warning to translators
Thread poster: Beth Olinto
Beth Olinto
Beth Olinto
Brazil
Local time: 11:40
English to Portuguese
Aug 4, 2010

A supposedly company in the oil and gas industry is contacting non-European translators to work at their head office in London to provide language support to its staff. They pretend they will get a work permit through a legal liaison with the Home Offices who asks you to make a deposit in your own name to the UK to be cashed when get there (and prove you have funds to pay for your initial expenses). But with false documents they cash the sum immediately.

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
English to Spanish
Speaking of scams Aug 4, 2010

You might also receive an e-mail from somebody who claims to be in the UK and in need of a translation (Eng to Span), he attaches a file and gives you enough time to translate. When you send your quote, he approves it inmediately and then tells you you will receive a check for more than what you are asking and requests that you send the excess money back.
Any idea where we can post these pirates' e-mail addresses or any other information about them?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 21:40
English to Thai
+ ...
ATM fraud Aug 5, 2010

Arturo Delgado wrote:
You might also receive an e-mail from somebody who claims to be in the UK and in need of a translation (Eng to Span), he attaches a file and gives you enough time to translate. When you send your quote, he approves it immediately and then tells you will receive a check for more than what you are asking and requests that you send the excess money back.

I met with another scam, use of bank ATM card to demand payment fraud.

I got a phone telling that payment for my translation has been made to my bank account and I need to transfer into a new bank account (of the cheater) by using a bank ATM card. I checked back the phone number but could not find it accurately due to the Internet phone setting with a wrong number. It is fortunate I did not do as told by this weird phone call.

Various methods of Internet scam threat us daily. Be aware!

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning to translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »