Fernanda de Castro Daniel  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 02:27
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Dear collegues,

I'm here to advise you about a scam I almost fell for. And I'm quite sure I received their job offer through ProZ, since the email address they used to send me the offer is only published here.

The email is as follows:
Dear Translator/Interpreter,

[Company's] is an oil and gas servicing company basedin London, UK.We are recruiting english and foreign language experts to aid our expatriate staff. In view of this, we are considering you for a possible position in our company as an IN-HOUSE (in London) interpreter/translator, from Portuguese to english, and will welcome your application.

You are sure to receive a good salary of not less than 3700 pounds (three thousand seven hundred British pounds) a month after tax, plus other job remunerations.

If you are interested, contact us through the following emails:

[Fake emails]

We hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

[Fake name]
Human Relations Manager.

Too good to be true, right? YES! It is too good to be true.

After a long exchange of emails, they finally decided to talk about money:

Attn Fernanda de Castro,

Regarding your matter, I wish to let you know that your employer [Company's name] is truly covering you as their employee, and is making available every requirement from their side needed to bring you over to The UK. I just spoke with the Human Relations Manager as well as the director in charge now.

To get a legal Visa to live and work in The UK, these requirements and documents listed below are needed from you, and for clarity sake, I designate them into parts for proper understanding.

PART 1:

1.Filed Visa application form.(The form is attached in this mail, print and fill and resend to me through scan)

2.Scanned copy of your international passport (data page), for verification purposes.

Note: All the above need to be sent to me via email attachment to enable prompt storage on the data base.

PART 2:

FEES:

These fees are being covered by your employer as your local sponsor here:

1. Visa application fee : £250
2.Medical certification Fee : £260
3.Courier fee : £75
4.Round Trip Flight Ticket Fee : £1,430
5.DER fee : £1,165

PART 3:

Applicant Deposit/Proof of Sufficient Fund (of £1000) available for the trip:

What is needed here is proof that you have up to £1000, one thousand British pounds, and after that you have to deposit the £1000 in your name as the receiver and withdraw it back after 24hrs, by then the verification would have been concluded.

This is a law by the UK government to verify that employee immigrants who intend to live and work here have a sufficient fund at the port of entry.

Method of deposit:

In some cases, bank statements are required but there are usually unwanted cases aterations on bank statements which has made it unlikely for bank statements to be fully honoured as proof. The best way to do this now is through money transfer deposits which you will withdraw back once the verification is done within 24 hours.

In view of this, you can deposit the £1000 through western union money transfer .The pay out location, that is, the receiver's destination must be London-United Kingdom.In this regard,if you dont have any address in UK, you can use your employer's address in the UK for the western union.This is to enable the confirmation here in UK that the money was deposited.

The sender or depositor can be anybody, that is, the money can be sent by either your friend or relative. The sender doesnt need to have the same surname with you.If your family member is to be the sender, the person can use his first and middle name only.

The receiver's name of the £1000 must be your name.

Example:

Sender's name: May be any of your relatives or friends (but not with the same surname).
Receiver: MUST BE YOU (Fernanda de Castro).

Receiver's address: You can use any address you have in UK but if you dont have or know any address in UK, YOU can use your employer's address which is [Company's address].

After depositing, you have to scan the receipt from western union money transfer and send to us for endorsement.

You will withdraw this deposit back AFTER 24 hrs. That is, after 24 hours, you have to go back to Western Union and withdraw the £1000 back for yourself. If you so like, you can leave it and cash it when you reach here in London, the choice is yours. Since the receiver is you, no other person can withdraw the cash except you, so the money will remain safe for you.What is needed is a proof that you actually have this money with you, before the visa and work permit will be issued, and this western union deposit is the easiest and fastest way to do it.

So in all, what is required of you for you and your husband's visa are:

1. Filled application form for you
2. Scanned copy of your international passport (data page)
3. Western union receipt scan copy for your £1000 proof of sufficient fund deposit which you can either withdraw back 24 hours after or cash when you reach London.

I hope to receive all these requirements above to enable the procurements for you to come into UK and commence your job in due time.

Yours in service

[Barrister fake information]

Western Union? TROUBLE!!!!!

I decided to investigate more the problem on Internet and I found a similar problem that a few people faced last year, but this time it was a international school in Barcelona looking for teachers. The name of the school? The same name, but they changed the end and included "International School"!!!

Check it at this link:

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscuss.wordpress.com/2009/08/16/job-scams-to-cheat-international-teachers/

Hopefully, I will be able to help more people regarding this scam. I'm quite sure they found my email address at ProZ, since they sent the offer to an address I almost never use, but that is published here.

Good luck people and BE AWARE!!!

[Edited at 2010-08-06 17:16 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BE AWARE: Oil and gas company scam

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search