https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/177931-doubts_about_a_new_client_staff_suspected_%22certified_check%22_scam.html

Doubts about a new client (Staff: suspected "certified check" scam)
Thread poster: Ulrich Eberhardt
Ulrich Eberhardt
Ulrich Eberhardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:59
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 15, 2010

Hello fellow translators,

I recently posted this, looking for feedback. I have already discussed it with other colleagues now, but read first and decide:

A new potential client from the U.S. (obviously an end client - they are actually a debt collection agency) - or someone claiming that he represents them - contacted me via another platform. I was offered a translation assignment comprising three smaller texts of quite general content (like wiki articles or similar).... See more
Hello fellow translators,

I recently posted this, looking for feedback. I have already discussed it with other colleagues now, but read first and decide:

A new potential client from the U.S. (obviously an end client - they are actually a debt collection agency) - or someone claiming that he represents them - contacted me via another platform. I was offered a translation assignment comprising three smaller texts of quite general content (like wiki articles or similar).

After exchanging a few emails, the agent agreed on the (not too bad) rate & a very generous deadline (four weeks for ca. 10 000 words!). What I found a little strange was that this agent wrote in a very sparse, not very personal style with various little mistakes in it - maybe that's just what stressed people with Blackberries or whatever do all the time, I don't know.

Anyway, by chance I found out that a colleague had just been offered the very same job by the very same company. The thing that puzzled us both a little was that the payment was announced to be made via "certified check". I usually use Paypal for overseas payments.

I have seen here on the forum that there are obviously some scams around where people are asked to pay in advance via check, but here I'm actually offered to be payed, so that's different.

So- ? Any suggestions? Has anyone had a similar "encounter"? I just don't get what the advantage can be for the client if they assign job twice (or more). Any hints welcome!

P.S. after editing:
The other colleagues & I have already decided that it must be a scam - after informing the "job poster" that we don't accept checks, he immediately withdrew his offer. I decided to edit & repost this as an inspiration for others to be cautious!

There's also some interesting links here on the site, like this one:

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Detecting_and_reacting_to_false_job_offers_and_other_scams

Cheers,
Uli

[Edited at 2010-08-16 16:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-16 16:44 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-08-18 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Doubts about a new client (Staff: suspected "certified check" scam)

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »