Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:03
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2010

Hello,
I have received this email and I think this could be a scam. Have you you received a similar one?
Thanks

Dear Translator,

I am happy to inform you that you are one of the few Translator chosen out of the screening exercise, I am pleased with your estimated total amount for the Project. I here by decide to offer you this pay translation job and be I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with you
... See more
Hello,
I have received this email and I think this could be a scam. Have you you received a similar one?
Thanks

Dear Translator,

I am happy to inform you that you are one of the few Translator chosen out of the screening exercise, I am pleased with your estimated total amount for the Project. I here by decide to offer you this pay translation job and be I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations...

Please List the Languages You can Translate From English into For more Partnership {Aside This if Any}...

I have made contacts with a reliable publisher who is now included in the project to complete the job after you must have finalized and done with the translation correctly...

You have till third week in this month to get yourself prepare for the document pending it being sorted completely by our source. An initial advance cheque payment has been made available for you and the publisher as a standby translator for this project pending the time Document for translations will be ready for you to translate...

Payment Terms:

Sorry, I do not deal in pay pal, money books or Bank accounts for a Start. {Security reasons}... A certified Euro bank cheque of 4,000EUR will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct 3300EUR which is half of your payment and forward the left funds on the Cheque to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project... The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby Half Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project; your balance will be paid in cash or into your designated account immediately after Your translation is completed...

I'd want a perfect Job and arrangement from you.

If this is well read and understood by you, Please reply back with your details as follows for the cheque payment to be mailed out to you:

TRANSLATOR INFORMATION:

Name in full:
Full Address { P.O.Box are not applicable}:
Post code {if Available}:
Office Phone#
Cell#
Home#

I wait to read from you as soon as possible...

Regards,

[Editado a las 2010-09-03 19:19 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-09-03 19:21 GMT]
Collapse

Mariela Diaz-Butler
Mariela Diaz-Butler
United States
Local time: 19:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Honestly... Sep 3, 2010

If it looks like one, smells like one, and more importantly READS like one, there's no doubt it is a scam.

Just the badly written message says it all. Plus a person in the U.S. paying in Euros? Really?!? Yeah right!

Mariela

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:03
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
There is a community wiki page on scams Sep 3, 2010

You can read about this scam here.

This is part of the ProZ.com Wiki page on Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams.
... See more
You can read about this scam here.

This is part of the ProZ.com Wiki page on Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams.

All members are encourage to contribute to this and other articles in the ProZ.com wiki.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete it Sep 3, 2010

Yes, a clear scam. Just delete it.

Walter

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:03
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Screening exercise?? Sep 4, 2010

What kind of screening? A screening for picking the most vulnerable and naive people on the Net that those "chosen ones" will surely fall for the trap!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete and forget Sep 4, 2010

Clearly by forwarding the 3,300 euros you would be contributing to money laundering activities. Stay off this or you will see yourself seated at the police station answering a lot of questions! Police forces all over Europe have these people well under control and will immediately detect your cooperations. I know of a person who fell in the trap and the police called her the next day to tell her that she would be formally accused of money laundering at court.

WordQuarry
WordQuarry
United Kingdom
Additional Note. Sep 4, 2010

Yes it is a scam however the thing to watch for is - even when they are better presented than this they sometimes involve Cashier Cheques that can seem fine but are still fake. Banks have been know to take these cheques on face value and credit an account only to tell the account holder a few weeks later that the funds are not available. By which time of course you are in trouble having sent on money.

This is a very poor example of the scam - it's the ones that are far better
... See more
Yes it is a scam however the thing to watch for is - even when they are better presented than this they sometimes involve Cashier Cheques that can seem fine but are still fake. Banks have been know to take these cheques on face value and credit an account only to tell the account holder a few weeks later that the funds are not available. By which time of course you are in trouble having sent on money.

This is a very poor example of the scam - it's the ones that are far better presented that are the worry. Cashier Cheques aside the simple rule is - if someone wants to pay you more for anything and you send on money - it's a scam 99.9999% of the time.
Collapse

Nina Michael
Nina Michael
United States
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
SCAM Sep 4, 2010

This is definitely a scam. There are quite a few like these saying that a check will be sent and then you must forward another smaller amount on to a third party. What happens is that you deposit the check for a large amount, forward the smaller amount on to someone else, and then a few days later the check is flagged and the funds removed from your account. The amount that you forwarded to another party has been deducted directly from your personal funds that you have in your bank account alrea... See more
This is definitely a scam. There are quite a few like these saying that a check will be sent and then you must forward another smaller amount on to a third party. What happens is that you deposit the check for a large amount, forward the smaller amount on to someone else, and then a few days later the check is flagged and the funds removed from your account. The amount that you forwarded to another party has been deducted directly from your personal funds that you have in your bank account already and you will never see it again.Collapse

Lourdes Cantón
Lourdes Cantón
Mexico
Local time: 17:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same happened to me Sep 4, 2010

Hello Marina and everybody,

I received exactly the same email today, offering exactly the same conditions. So, of course it is a scam.

From the begining I asked this person more details on the translation subject, file formats, company info and I never got it.

Kind regards and happy weekend,

Lou

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please do not post contact details in the forums. Thank you
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please do not post contact details in the forums. Thank you
Ignacio Caballero
Ignacio Caballero  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chapter III of the same story Sep 4, 2010

Good Morning There,

I really appreciate your quick response... The Subject matter is technical and perfect legal translation. It all depends on the one you're very familiar with and can have do perfectly.. After all, a translator who knows the material doesn’t have to spend time looking up words. He or she is already thoroughly familiar with the terminology and language style used in the source text, and knows how to translate that perfectly for the target audience.

... See more
Good Morning There,

I really appreciate your quick response... The Subject matter is technical and perfect legal translation. It all depends on the one you're very familiar with and can have do perfectly.. After all, a translator who knows the material doesn’t have to spend time looking up words. He or she is already thoroughly familiar with the terminology and language style used in the source text, and knows how to translate that perfectly for the target audience.

We find it very difficult to send the upfront payment in your account as this is our first job and sending two check payment out as this funds is coming from our company associate and it doesn't look professional asking a two payment when we can easily explain things to our Employee worker {You}...

It is a very easy task and i don't see a reason why you need to in doing this as i will be here to assist and instruct on how to get things done with ease...

If this is comfortable with you, please reply back with the details required so payment can get to you before the end of this week...I should get back to you and anytime soon with your job and payment update if this details get to me in due time...

Have a wonderful weekend.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXX

Hope this will prevent harm to other colleagues!

[Edited at 2010-09-04 16:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-05 14:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-05 14:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-05 14:04 GMT]
Collapse

Marina Puertas
Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
scam Sep 4, 2010

Thank you all

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received a similar "offer" Sep 4, 2010

And since the person was kind enough to include all 200+ e-mail addresses in the to and cc lines, I dutifully informed all the other potential victims of the link to this thread.

"I am A project manager (PM). I looking for translators who can translate from Spanish to other languages {Reply Back with what you're Good at} to work with on a project, approximately 15,000 words {fields of expertise... Technical, legal, commercial, medical. Poetry & Literature}. Trados or Wordfast should
... See more
And since the person was kind enough to include all 200+ e-mail addresses in the to and cc lines, I dutifully informed all the other potential victims of the link to this thread.

"I am A project manager (PM). I looking for translators who can translate from Spanish to other languages {Reply Back with what you're Good at} to work with on a project, approximately 15,000 words {fields of expertise... Technical, legal, commercial, medical. Poetry & Literature}. Trados or Wordfast should be fine...

If interested, please include in your reply your {PRICE per source word in $$} Also ready for a long time partnership And be available to read your email at least twice a day for urgent updates about the Project...
Collapse

Francesco Toscano
Francesco Toscano  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
it's his previous e-mail Sep 4, 2010

This was his previous e-mail, suspicious, but you never know...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »