Thread poster: Andes Trans

Andes Trans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:02
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2010

If you get this the e-mail below (or something similar), it's a scam.

===================================================================

I am [name hidden at the request of Proz], a project manager (PM), currenlty looking for translators located in the United States of America who can translate from Spanish to different target languages {Reply back with the language pair you are most confortable working with} to take part on a project of approximately 15,000 words {fields of expertise vary from technical, legal, commercial, medical, poetry & literature}. The use of CAT tools such as Trados or Wordfast would be highly appreciated.
If you are interested, please reply back including your {RATE per source word in $$}. Also, be ready for a long time partnership and you will need to be able to read your email at least twice a day for urgent updates about the Project...

My contact phone number is {phone number (fake anyways) hidden at the request of Proz}, but I highly recommend sending your Resume/CV via email message. At the moment, you can reach me best at {e-mail address hidden at the request of Proz}.

I hope to hear from you soon.

[name hidden at the request of Proz]
Project Manager (PM)
[phone number (fake anyways) hidden at the request of Proz]

Sender Address: [e-mail address hidden at the request of Proz] (not verified)

Originating IP address of the sender: 190.139.138.8

[Edited at 2010-09-06 23:38 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:02
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Many thanks Sep 6, 2010

Many thanks. I got the one but my language pair is only SP>EN in this case.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

César Cornejo Fuster  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Sep 6, 2010

It looked like it.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed as requested by poster

Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:02
English to German
My response Sep 6, 2010

My response, even before seeing this thread:

Hello,

please take your money laundering scheme elsewhere, I hope nobody falls for this obvious scam.

Our mail conversation has been forwarded to the authorities in order to be investigated.

I think a little bit of common sense should tell anyone that this is one of the lamest attempts of scamming ever...
Nico

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Lame but getting better... Sep 6, 2010

NicNac wrote:
I think a little bit of common sense should tell anyone that this is one of the lamest attempts of scamming ever...
Nico

Yes, although we've also seen a lot lamer. E-mails such as these show an attempt to "speak our language" with spurious mention of things like CAT tools and "rate per source word". OK, they may not yet have learnt that an end client wouldn't generally ask for "any old CAT tool", or that a technical poem about a commercial medical contract doesn't sound like a very viable project, but it's only a matter of time before they do. So there is some value in being on our guard and sharing details of these kinds of scams with one another so that we can be alert and ready for the scam e-mail that actually looks genuine.

Nico Wagner  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to German
Still lame Sep 6, 2010

Neil, that's not what I was referring to.. The lame part is this paragraph:

A certified Euro bank cheque of 5,000EUR will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct 750EUR which is half of your payment and forward the left funds on the Cheque to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project... The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby Half Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project; your balance will be paid in cash or into your designated account immediately after Your translation is completed...

I mean, seriouslyicon_rolleyes.gif

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Ah, didn't see that bit... Sep 6, 2010

NicNac wrote:

Neil, that's not what I was referring to.. The lame part is this paragraph:

A certified Euro bank cheque of 5,000EUR will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct 750EUR which is half of your payment and forward the left funds on the Cheque to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project... The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby Half Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project; your balance will be paid in cash or into your designated account immediately after Your translation is completed...

I mean, seriouslyicon_rolleyes.gif

Ah OK, yes that smells more like a scam than Sam McScam's aftershave. That bit wasn't in the original post I don't think!

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No way Sep 6, 2010

NicNac wrote:

....The lame part is this paragraph:

The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation

I would never work for a US-based translating company that can't even write correctly punctuated English. There are lots of other mistakes too.

[Edited at 2010-09-06 15:40 GMT]

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:02
Member (2008)
French to English
Advanced payment scam Sep 6, 2010

Its the old advance payment scam that's been around in one form or another for decades. Any deal that involves a paper payment followed by deducting an amount and sending the balance on somewhere else is most likely a scam. Legitimate clients have no need to work like that. You will find the original payment is forged and will bounce back at you a few weeks later.

GianLuigi Miani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:02
Italian to English
+ ...
WHO YOU SHOULD CONTACT Sep 10, 2010

Which authorities should you contact in these cases, just to chech about and its IP.... I don't undestrand this IP.... does it usually appers in Proz.com posted jobs?
Does it appear in the emails a client send to you?
Ho do you get the IP from emails... some times it appears... but not in case of emails... I checked it.

And THEN .....

Which tools does a freelance translator to check and avoid fraud and dishonest people and how does it work?

Thanks in adavance.

P:S I received recentl a couple of fraud.... a certain Rick Macaulay and an other one Aikman XXXXXXX that basically sent me a text to be translated entitled "HISTORY OF ART" , in both cases they wanted the payment in advance by a regulae european cheque.... they would give the half in advance and the balance at the end of completed translation.... but there was a strange point that didn't convince me:

- I have to forward the left funds on the cheque to a third person , a publisher ..... (I 'm talking about 3,600 euros) ...... that sounds weird as payment policy, even though they gave me the company website , I am not going to forward any money. Is it right?

It seemed to me a fraud.... what do you think about it?

[Edited at 2010-09-10 14:20 GMT]

Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:02
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Information available at the ProZ.com wiki Sep 10, 2010

GianLuigi Miani wrote:

Which authorities should you contact in these cases, just to chech about and its IP.... I don't undestrand this IP.... does it usually appers in Proz.com posted jobs?
Does it appear in the emails a client send to you?
Ho do you get the IP from emails... some times it appears... but not in case of emails... I checked it.

Which tools does a freelance translator to check and avoid fraud and dishonest people and how does it work?

You may find some answers at the ProZ.com wiki page on Risk management: Email.

GianLuigi Miani wrote:
P:S I received recentl a couple of fraud.... a certain Rick Macaulay and an other one Aikman XXXXXXX that basically sent me a text to be translated entitled "HISTORY OF ART" , in both cases they wanted the payment in advance by a regulae european cheque.... they would give the half in advance and the balance at the end of completed translation.... but there was a strange point that didn't convince me:

- I have to forward the left funds on the cheque to a third person , a publisher ..... (I 'm talking about 3,600 euros) ...... that sounds weird as payment policy, even though they gave me the company website , I am not going to forward any money. Is it right?

It seemed to me a fraud.... what do you think about it?

You can read on the "advance payment" and other scams at the ProZ.com wiki page on Detecting and reacting to false job offers and other scams.

Regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam report

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search