Thread poster: Christine HOUDY

Christine HOUDY
France
Local time: 19:50
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

A spammer posts translation job to translators through your Portail. What can I do? I get plenty of emails with resumes from English to Spanish and also English to Italian.

Name of this spammer: Diego Alanson. His message sent to several translators is as follows:

"Hello,

I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the
write up. I just received your email through my boss to
attend to you. I am the personal assistant for MRS HOUDY
Christine and my name is DIEGO ALANSON. I handle phone and
emails for Mrs Houdy because of her disability condition
which leave her deaf and half paralyzed. My boss is a
private businesswoman, we looking for a translator. I have
checked your Cv and i am pleased to tell you that she has
choose you to work on the project for we are in between a
new business that will require us to write out in Italian. I
truly understand your stand, about your manner of work. I
attached a sample of the work tittles project, just want you
to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

Private investor who work with local and few foreign
business on short time business.

Address is .

CALLE CALA MITJANA 92 B,
07009 SON CLADERA NOU
PALMA DE MALLORCA
SPAIN

Phone: +34 603 133 327 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +34 603 133 327 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Now i guess you have an idea of the woman you about to
start work with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is
negotiable but must be before Nov 12, 2010.

The total words count is 38920. English to Italian, since
the document is a large one, she is offering 0.05e. Please
let it be clear that it is a beginning of a good business
relationship so consider that about the price.

++ please calculate the total amount, also state out the
discount..
++ categorically state your city and country of residence?
++ Can you state out your date of delivery and method in
which you will have all done

I hope we can come to term for success of this project.
Thank you"

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolina Bordonado Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Oct 1, 2010

Thanks Christine,
I was contacted by this Diego yesterday and honestly that story of the deaf and paralized old lady he explains... it's highly unbelievable!
Thank you for posting this information.

Bon week-end!
Salutations,
Carolina

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Christine Oct 1, 2010

First of all, nobody has used your profile, besides yourself. The scammer is using only your name. This means that at least your password hasn't been stolen.

In case you possess a message from the scammer, please kindly forward it to the site staff. This would help the site staff in finding out the scammer and blocking him.

Thank you,
Natalia,
ProZ.com moderator

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Am I missing something? Oct 1, 2010

What on earth would be the purpose of a transparent trick like this, except as a prank? I don't quite see how this Diego would benefit in any way, except the satisfaction of having played a particularly nasty joke on someone he may or may not know. If anyone sees any other possibility of gain in doing something like this, please enlighten me. This doesn't mean I don't believe this guy should be stopped - he should absolutely be prevented from doing this type of thing again, if he is caught. I just don't understand what he could possibly get out of it, especially if the phone no. and address are really yours.

Edited to add:
Alright, I see that you are in Corsica and Diego cites an address in Spain. So is this guy just trying to get a free translation out of this? Or is it a bad imitation of a "Nigerian 419" or "advance fee" scam? You may want to check with your local police station what - if anything - you should do about it if you suspect he's trying to defraud people using your name.

[Edited at 2010-10-01 12:01 GMT]

RE : C.Houdy , Diego Alanson Scam Oct 1, 2010

Dear all,

My name is William Aragonés, and I`m the C.E.O of ReinventTranslations, an established translation & localisation company, based in Madrid, Spain
We received the same message from this Diego person, stating the same information about Chrisitine, and required the same translating.
However, he used a different address and number, all based in the UK, Cambridge area to be precise.
I have over 300 freelance translators and many inhouse translators, so I was told that this could be a scam, the reason behind it , being he pays for translating via travellers cheques , as one of my translators told me, so Im guessing (but I dont know) he receives the work but never pays for it, or he is getting information of the translators and agencies, for some reason.
I do think this should be stopped, and we are doing are upmost best to prevent this, talking to the site managers at different translating portals and ultimately preventing the use of Mrs.Houdy`s private information.
If anybody else knows any more information on this scam or others, please do not hesitate to contact me.

William,

Roberto Lipani  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
I was contacted too Oct 1, 2010

Hi Christine,
I was contacted by this mr Alanson yesterday evening (I had applied for the job he posted-as he claims- on your behalf). I received the same email as quoted above.
I began to suspect when he suggested a 30% downpayment through traveller's cheques, which, of course I would not accept.
Up to now, I simply replied that cheque is not among the payment method I accept.
Apart from this, is there something I can do to solve this problem

You can contact me by email if necessary,

Regards

Roberto

p.s. the telephone number indicated is a mobile phone; I am not sure if the address is fake or not

Filippo Ficola  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Mee too Oct 1, 2010

I've received the same mail, and one time I send one mail back he wrote me:

Hello ,

Thank you for your urgent respond. I hope this serve has the begining of a good business
relationship between us. I am writing you to inform you that i have receive your email and
your information, please await my next email when i conclude with my client tomorrow or
next. I hope she can speed things up for us. Like i said i take matters once at a time and
i hope you will abide to that with me. I do know you will have time to finish the project.

Please confirm the receipt of this email in other to know you are clear with my write up.

Regards

DIEGO ALANSON

Using an IP Localizer I could see that he's from Montain View, CA, but I'm not sure if it is the server or the real location.

One time I answer this e-mail he wrote me back this one:

Hello ,

Thank you for your email, your trust is outstanding in the returned email.
My boss agreed in making part payment all front, she suggest that 30% is made first,
at the middle of the work you have another payment 30% and then you have balance at the
end of work. I believe, that is reasonable enough for the two part.She is making arrangement
with her partner on the payment so please let me know where you stand.

Please be informed that the associate as chosen method of payment for and i will
like you to consider it as payment method. She will make part payment with euro travelers check.
An euro travelers check is an instant cash at any bank of your choice over there, if you will go
with me on that please provide me the following for part payment.

Full Name
Full adddress
city, state, zip code
Direct phone number.

I hope you understand the situation here and comply with the method of payment.I hope to read from
you soonest.

Regards

DIEGO ALANSON

Anybody has an idea of the reason??

Sara Di Riso
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same message Oct 1, 2010

I was contacted yesterday by the same person....Definitely a scam.

Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
The reason Oct 1, 2010

I've found this info that just explain the case. The fraud is by a cheque, look this link at the point 7

http://www.onguardonline.gov/topics/Email-scams.aspx

7. Check Overpayment Scams

The Bait: A response to your ad or online auction posting, offering to pay with a cashier's, personal, or corporate check. At the last minute, the so-called buyer (or the buyer's "agent") comes up with a reason for writing the check for more than the purchase price, and asks you to wire back the difference after you deposit the check.

The Catch: If you deposit the check, you lose. Typically, the checks are counterfeit, but they're good enough to fool unsuspecting bank tellers and increase the balance in your bank account – temporarily. But when the check eventually bounces, you are liable for the entire amount.

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:50
French to English
+ ...
Shaping up for a standard money laundering scam Oct 1, 2010

Filippo Ficola wrote:
Using an IP Localizer I could see that he's from Montain View, CA, but I'm not sure if it is the server or the real location.

They're surely using a proxy. Practically all the servers in the world are located in Mountain View, CA. In fact, there are so many servers there, there's practically no room for humans

Anybody has an idea of the reason??

Sounds like a standard boring scam. If you pursue it, it'll turn out that they send you the 30% advance by some means (probably not a straightforward, easily traceable bank transfer), and then accidentally send you too much money and ask you to urgently launder the difference back to them.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Aha, the plot thickens... Oct 1, 2010

Sounds like an "advance fee" scam brewing, now that more information is becoming available. They send you an advance fee by forged/fraudulent check in excess of the agreed amount, then ask for the difference back. By the time their check is found to be forged, they have cashed yours and are gone - as Neil and Filippo describe.

You might want to check out these folks:

http://www.scamletters.com/base/8.html or this one: http://www.ripandscam.com/reportscam.php - has links to authorities in France where you can report e-mail scams

I firmly believe these types of things should be reported, as any fraudster caught is one fraudster less to prey on hapless victims.

Werner Maurer  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
no latino no anglo Oct 1, 2010

And though the guy's name is Diego Alanson, there's no way his English is that of a Spanish speaker. Or an English speaker for that matter. Or German, or French. Ibo maybe? heheh.

It's a good thing that 99 percent of these scam are written in the most horrid English and with no proofing. Some people of course don't catch that sort of thing, but do the scammers think they can fool TRANSLATORS of all people???

Spain
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks to the real Mrs Houdy Oct 1, 2010

Thanks to THE REAL Mrs Houdy to denounce the fact...

what more...

If he/they could cheat somebody I just hope he/they are spending the money just to buy medications.

GianLuigi Miani  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
I THINK MRS HOUDY IS USING YOUR NAME .... Oct 1, 2010

Christine HOUDY wrote:

A spammer posts translation job to translators through your Portail. What can I do? I get plenty of emails with resumes from English to Spanish and also English to Italian.

Name of this spammer: Diego Alanson. His message sent to several translators is as follows:

"Hello,

I appreciate the time you take out to send your CV and the
write up. I just received your email through my boss to
attend to you. I am the personal assistant for MRS HOUDY
Christine and my name is DIEGO ALANSON. I handle phone and
emails for Mrs Houdy because of her disability condition
which leave her deaf and half paralyzed. My boss is a
private businesswoman, we looking for a translator. I have
checked your Cv and i am pleased to tell you that she has
choose you to work on the project for we are in between a
new business that will require us to write out in Italian. I
truly understand your stand, about your manner of work. I
attached a sample of the work tittles project, just want you
to have understanding of what we are about to do together.

Private investor who work with local and few foreign
business on short time business.

Address is .

CALLE CALA MITJANA 92 B,
07009 SON CLADERA NOU
PALMA DE MALLORCA
SPAIN

Phone: +34 603 133 327 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +34 603 133 327 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Now i guess you have an idea of the woman you about to
start work with, attached is a sample. The delivery date is
negotiable but must be before Nov 12, 2010.

The total words count is 38920. English to Italian, since
the document is a large one, she is offering 0.05e. Please
let it be clear that it is a beginning of a good business
relationship so consider that about the price.

++ please calculate the total amount, also state out the
discount..
++ categorically state your city and country of residence?
++ Can you state out your date of delivery and method in
which you will have all done

I hope we can come to term for success of this project.
Thank you"

------------------------------------------

Dear Houdy,

I received the same email and right away everything sounded really weird..... a scam

In the first email I received from the same "person" , she/he introduced as Christine hOUDY ( BASICALLY YOUR NAME AND LAST NAME ) and after reading this email that immediately appeared to me weird at least. I did a reasearch on Google and in fact as a result, it came our your profile ( you are from France while theese people contacting me by "TranslationDirectory.com" , were from USA).

So I think it my allegation might bve considered helpful to you.... I saved all their e-mails....

Take care
Gianluigi

etaemy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
I was contacted too Oct 1, 2010

Hi everyone,

this guy tried to hook translators on translatorscafe.com as well

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone is offering translation jobs in my name via e-mail

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search