Thread poster: Theo Bernards
Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:45
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 4, 2010

-------------------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: 'xxxxxxxxx'
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 175.xx.xx.170
Message type: Other
-----------

i need your mail address.
-------------------
I find this a peculiar way of contacting translators, especially while the current search facilities on Proz and beyond offer so many more ways to locate my email address... Any thoughts, anyone?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
English to Japanese
+ ...
Try giving the person a free account mail Oct 4, 2010

The message you received sounds a bit fishy, but if I were in your shoe, I would give the sender my freemail account just in case that the sender is not trying to scam you or phish you. And if s/he turns out to be inquiring you about a job (of course, you should exchange a few emails), and if that person seems reliable and trustworthy, then give him/her your usual business email account. Better safe than sorry.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Just ignore it Oct 4, 2010

Provide your e-mail address to receive tons spam.

Theo Bernards  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Yasutomo Oct 4, 2010

I kind of gathered that. And thank you, too, Stanislav, for the spam warning. All my business details are in the public domain (my website, legal requirements here in France demand that certain information is visible when offering services via a website) and I refuse to delete them from my email signature every time I respond to a prospect, new client or any business inquiry: there is such a thing as too paranoid as far as I am concerned, which is bad for business. Besides, I use hotmail for my on-line activities, which seems to filter out most junk fairly efficiently.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking opinions on message received through profile mail

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search