Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 29, 2010

from Bruno Lee
reply-to [email protected]

Hi all,
Looks like this scam's originating from a German email address ... but replies go to Hong Kong.
Here's a sample:
I am Bruno Lee, Head of Wealth Management HSBC, Hong Kong. I have a business proposal for you.
A transfer of $24.5 million was deposited by one of our late customer who died without declaring any next of kin before his death in 2003.

... See more
from Bruno Lee
reply-to [email protected]

Hi all,
Looks like this scam's originating from a German email address ... but replies go to Hong Kong.
Here's a sample:
I am Bruno Lee, Head of Wealth Management HSBC, Hong Kong. I have a business proposal for you.
A transfer of $24.5 million was deposited by one of our late customer who died without declaring any next of kin before his death in 2003.

I'm fairly sure this would've come via my ProZ listing -- & just wanted to point it out, in case anyone else out there's received the same. I don't suppose there's any harm done, as long as you don't sign your life over to Bruno Lee, et al!
Collapse

Gad Kohenov
Gad Kohenov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:02
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Nigerian letters Oct 29, 2010

Hello Laurie,

At least they don't have a client suffering from oesophageal cancer any more.
From letters, to fax and now to Internet. They are boring and pathetic scams, who have been found out a long time ago.
Will ask you to pay a "small sum" for arrangement for the transfer of millions into your account. Will collect the money and disappear.

This joke is so old it got a long beard
... See more
Hello Laurie,

At least they don't have a client suffering from oesophageal cancer any more.
From letters, to fax and now to Internet. They are boring and pathetic scams, who have been found out a long time ago.
Will ask you to pay a "small sum" for arrangement for the transfer of millions into your account. Will collect the money and disappear.

This joke is so old it got a long beard

Desert Fox
Collapse

Laurie Price
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed! But ... Oct 29, 2010

I thought it might be important to document this newer version of it --

since I can't really imagine anyone taking those emails seriously & providing any of the scammers with their bank info --

which then raises a question, maybe a bit of paranoia, but could there be some ulterior motive? Or some other motive? that we still don't know about?

Benno Groeneveld
Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't underestimate Oct 29, 2010

those scammers. They still collect millions of dollars on a worldwide basis every year. I've worked as an interpreter on a scammer case and you'd be surprised how many people (and with what background) still fall for it.

[Edited at 2010-10-29 16:18 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:02
French to English
+ ...
They are automated nowadays... Oct 29, 2010

I had a dedicated project mailbox with owner's name indicated as "Three Sigma". One day, I received a letter offering me a bounty for posing as a heir of the late Mr. Sigma

Laurie Price
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
::: Is this related? ::: Oct 30, 2010

Since receiving and opening that scam letter, last night, while I slept, my email inbox filled with around 1300 emails, from "me" and in the subject area, my name. It looks like around 60 or more emails per minute ... judging from the pages of it -- an entire page of my email inbox has emails with the same time, the following page may have a few w/that time and then the rest with the preceding minute.

I don't know if this is harmful, or what ... but it is creepily reminiscent of whe
... See more
Since receiving and opening that scam letter, last night, while I slept, my email inbox filled with around 1300 emails, from "me" and in the subject area, my name. It looks like around 60 or more emails per minute ... judging from the pages of it -- an entire page of my email inbox has emails with the same time, the following page may have a few w/that time and then the rest with the preceding minute.

I don't know if this is harmful, or what ... but it is creepily reminiscent of when my hotmail account was hijacked a few years ago (I posted that event on Proz; another Granada, Spain translator had the same thing happen to her hotmail account on the same day, and in my case, my Moneybookers account was emptied -- I'd just been paid for a completed project).

If anyone reads this & recognizes these symptoms, would you PLEASE contact me, either publicly or privately, and let me know what you think this is.

Ironically, or not ... I was reading through the Ubuntu website before shutting down the computer ... because I was thinking about the feasibility of changing over from Vista to Ubuntu ... to avoid problems like this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nigerian scam's been imported/exported

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »