Thread poster: Iván Madrigal (X)
Iván Madrigal (X)
Iván Madrigal (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:22
English to Spanish
Nov 5, 2010

Dear colleagues,

Please beware that the Systran scam people is at it again.
You should know the system by now; they contact you directly with a public email address (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, whatever) and ask you if you are available in such panguage pair.
You reply and they reply back saying that your fields and rates are what they are looking for and can offer up to 4k words per day 5 days a week, but you need to buy the Business version of their software, Systran, to
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Please beware that the Systran scam people is at it again.
You should know the system by now; they contact you directly with a public email address (hotmail, gmail, yahoo, whatever) and ask you if you are available in such panguage pair.
You reply and they reply back saying that your fields and rates are what they are looking for and can offer up to 4k words per day 5 days a week, but you need to buy the Business version of their software, Systran, to start working with them.
The first time I was asked for this about two years ago my answer was: "Ok, please send me a copy of your software and deduct the cost from the first invoice I send you.", but obviously this doesn't work for them, they want you to send them your money)

The email they used this time is [email protected] in the name of Prime Translations, a person named "Jenny".

I have checked with Prime Translations (the real translations company, because a companh with that name actually exists) and they don't use that CAT program or know anything about all this.

So please beware and don't fall for this, it's not the right time to throw our money away.

I hope this helps, and sorry if it's posted in the wrong place (in that case, please direct me where to post it).

It would be good if anyone with similar experiences feels like sharing them to avoid wasting our precious working time dealing with nasty people.

Bests,
Iván
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for warning us Iván. Nov 5, 2010

And I presume the real Prime Translations will be taking legal action, so they might need to know of as many cases as possible.

Iván Madrigal (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yeap, they're on it. Nov 5, 2010

Hi Noni,
Yes, I sent Prime the fake email and they said they're going to publish it in their web a to warn people off.

This is their reply (in Spanish):

Hola Iván,

Gracias por mandármelo. Vamos a poner un aviso en nuestro sitio web que
dice que no publicamos postings en otros webs y que no comercializamos
software. Espero que por lo menos sirve como advertencia a la gente que
encuentre la web al buscar una dirección que no sea Ho
... See more
Hi Noni,
Yes, I sent Prime the fake email and they said they're going to publish it in their web a to warn people off.

This is their reply (in Spanish):

Hola Iván,

Gracias por mandármelo. Vamos a poner un aviso en nuestro sitio web que
dice que no publicamos postings en otros webs y que no comercializamos
software. Espero que por lo menos sirve como advertencia a la gente que
encuentre la web al buscar una dirección que no sea Hotmail.

Saludos y gracias de nuevo,
Sharon Prime
Collapse

Argyro Alykatora
Argyro Alykatora  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 09:22
Member (2009)
English to Greek
+ ...
I received the same Nov 5, 2010

Hi Ivan,

I was about to put up a post on this as well, I received exactly the same email and responded with saying that I need their full address and contact details, they never wrote back of course, but I did waste some precious time. I looked it up on the Internet as it seemed fishy to me and I would highly recommend the webpage http://www.paymentpractices.net/Scams.aspx where yo
... See more
Hi Ivan,

I was about to put up a post on this as well, I received exactly the same email and responded with saying that I need their full address and contact details, they never wrote back of course, but I did waste some precious time. I looked it up on the Internet as it seemed fishy to me and I would highly recommend the webpage http://www.paymentpractices.net/Scams.aspx where you can find all current and past scams aimed to translators. In general, a very well-organized and helpful website.
Collapse

Iván Madrigal (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing Nov 5, 2010

Thanks Argyro.

Bests,
Iván

Ana Maria Bustos K.
Ana Maria Bustos K.  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:22
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Iván! Nov 8, 2010

Thanks for sharing your experience with this company.

pepea
pepea
English to Spanish
Scammers name change Dec 20, 2010

Hi there,

Right today I have received excatly the same email, but this time supposedly fake company is called Berry Translations

Carmela Prestia
Carmela Prestia
United States
Local time: 01:22
English to German
+ ...
Scammers on the loose again Mar 16, 2011

I received an e-mail today. Almost the exact words like Ivans mail. Different "agency" though. Supposedly in Glasgow. No website to be found and the mail address is from India (looks like an indian version og hotmail or so).

Floriana Fascritti
Floriana Fascritti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Same agency for me Mar 19, 2011

Carmela Heuber Prestia wrote:

I received an e-mail today. Almost the exact words like Ivans mail. Different "agency" though. Supposedly in Glasgow. No website to be found and the mail address is from India (looks like an indian version og hotmail or so).

I have received exactly the same e-mail from an agency supposed to call "Glasgow Translations". Beware of them!
Thanks to this post, now I know that they are scammers! Thank you all!!

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
The REAL agency does have a website and they're not the scammers Mar 20, 2011

Carmela Heuber Prestia wrote:

The REAL Glasgow Translation (who are NOT part of the scam, let's all keep in mind) do have a website. In fact, there is a link to it from their Blue Board record (which seems to have been set up very recently by ProZ staff to alert users to the correct email vs. scam). I found this information because I, too, received the weird, error-filled email supposedly from that agency.
Their website warns against the scam on their home page.

Floriana Fascritti wrote:

I have received exactly the same e-mail from an agency supposed to call "Glasgow Translations". Beware of them!
Thanks to this post, now I know that they are scammers! Thank you all!!

In talking about this type of scam, let's remember that these are innocent, presumably reputable agencies whose names and details are simply being used in order to mislead victims of the scam!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Systran Software" Scam_BEWARE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »