Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is this a scam? (Agency refusing to give its details)
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dec 22, 2010

Here's my transcript of recent email correspondence (the last message comes first). Unsurprisingly, there has been no reply to my last message. What do you think? If this is a scam, what kind of scam is it?

To: HR HR
Subject: Re: [ProZ.com mail] Italian-English Translator

Repeat:

I cannot send documents to individuals not registered as members of Proz.com who use a gmail address and who refuse to identify themselves
... See more
Here's my transcript of recent email correspondence (the last message comes first). Unsurprisingly, there has been no reply to my last message. What do you think? If this is a scam, what kind of scam is it?

To: HR HR
Subject: Re: [ProZ.com mail] Italian-English Translator

Repeat:

I cannot send documents to individuals not registered as members of Proz.com who use a gmail address and who refuse to identify themselves or who they represent.

All further correspondence from you will be ignored and I reserve the right to forward this email correspondence to Proz.com

Tom

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Dear Tom,

Just to inform you, we only use this email account for receiving CV's. And we don't refuse to identify, we simply just want to review your CV first.

Regards,

C
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tom in London wrote:

OK that seems to be the end of our correspondence. I cannot send documents to individuals not registered as members of Proz.com who use a gmail address and who refuse to identify themselves or who they represent.

Regards

Tom

Dear Tom,

Thank you for the reply, but it also doesnt work that way for us as well.

Regards,

C
On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Tom in London wrote:

No, it doesn't work that way. First you send me, as requested, full details of the company you represent.

Tom
Dear Tom,

Thank you for the reply.

Send a copy of your CV for review and I'll contact you by our main account shortly w/c includes the details.

Regards,

C

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Tom in London wrote:

Please provide full details of the company.

Tom

Dear Tom,

Good day!

I'm from a company based in UAE (Legal and Non - Legal Translation).

Kindly send me a CV for review. Thank you. Regards,

C
On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Tom in London wrote:

Please identify yourself. Who are you?

Tom
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: C [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 92.96.230.233
Message type: Job-related

Dear Tom, Good day! We're looking for an Italian to English
translator w/ min. of 5 years exp. Kindly send me copy of
your CV to
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:04
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Very strange indeed Dec 22, 2010

Hi Tom,

I've take a quick look at the corrrespondence you had with this client(?), but sounds a bit fishy. Using a gmail address itself may not be that common for a company, but moreover, I don't understand why they do not reveal their identities. What harm could it do?

I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. Maybe not a scam to withdraw money from you, but they could use your info (CV) to create a false identity and abuse it (This once happened to a c
... See more
Hi Tom,

I've take a quick look at the corrrespondence you had with this client(?), but sounds a bit fishy. Using a gmail address itself may not be that common for a company, but moreover, I don't understand why they do not reveal their identities. What harm could it do?

I would have done the same thing if I were in your shoes. Maybe not a scam to withdraw money from you, but they could use your info (CV) to create a false identity and abuse it (This once happened to a colleague of mine, where her information on her CV was stolen and used to impersonate someone else).

So I would watch out for this kind of correspondence, and I believe you have made the right decision.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:04
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
bin it Dec 22, 2010

1. There is no reason for a company to withhold its details from you. Too suspicious for words.
2. Your CV is available on your profile. So the first email you received was a standard one, not sent personally to you.
3. Conclusion: bin it.

I do agree that it is a bit strange, because the English is clearly fluent, and there is no reference to disabled aunts or "millions of dollars that need retrieval in a privet Security Agency in Ivory Coast" (I quote from an email I re
... See more
1. There is no reason for a company to withhold its details from you. Too suspicious for words.
2. Your CV is available on your profile. So the first email you received was a standard one, not sent personally to you.
3. Conclusion: bin it.

I do agree that it is a bit strange, because the English is clearly fluent, and there is no reference to disabled aunts or "millions of dollars that need retrieval in a privet Security Agency in Ivory Coast" (I quote from an email I received this morning).

But it is still too fishy for words.
Collapse

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Scammer and/or idiot Dec 22, 2010

This 'Carol' is a scammer or an idiot. In any event, not the sort who merits a positive response.

Agnese Gorgolini
Agnese Gorgolini  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Maybe it's not scam... Dec 22, 2010

...but certainly this is not the correct way to contact a professional. Maybe they are trying to establish a translation company and they need translators, but they should not ask for CVs and then refuse to provide information about their business.
Have a nice day!
Agnese

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Bad English Dec 22, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

the English is clearly fluent

Actually, the English is very poor. Examples:

"CV's"

"we don't refuse to identify" [sic]

"doesnt"

"it also doesnt work that way for us as well" (she means "it doesn't work that way for us either."

"I'll contact you by our main account"

Her use of "Good day" suggests an Australian background.....

[Edited at 2010-12-22 10:48 GMT]

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
The same email here Dec 22, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I do agree that it is a bit strange, because the English is clearly fluent, and there is no reference to disabled aunts or "millions of dollars that need retrieval in a privet Security Agency in Ivory Coast" (I quote from an email I received this morning).

As about your email correspondence, Tom, it sounds weird, indeed. If they aren't scammers, I am sure no one would like to collaborate with such uncooperative individuals.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
What kind of scam? Dec 22, 2010

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

As about your email correspondence, Tom, it sounds weird, indeed. If they aren't scammers, I am sure no one would like to collaborate with such uncooperative individuals.

I pretty sure it's a scam and is probably being sent to a large number of Prozians.

I note that they ask for my CV even though they could have simply downloaded my CV from Proz.com. From this, I deduce that they didn't bother to look at my Proz profile and are not really interested in it. THey seem to be trying to get other information from me.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete it Dec 22, 2010

Hi Tom,

You did the right thing. Just bin it and forget about it.

Happy Holidays,

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Odd Dec 22, 2010

She's going to quite a lot of trouble to get your CV when there are plenty of ProZ members whose CVs are freely available for download straight from their profiles (including you, as has already been pointed out). If I were a scammer seeking to harvest people's details, I imagine I'd just go for the quickest option rather than emailing people individually.

Can you tell from the "Visitors" tab how she found you? For example, by searching for translators in a particular country/field
... See more
She's going to quite a lot of trouble to get your CV when there are plenty of ProZ members whose CVs are freely available for download straight from their profiles (including you, as has already been pointed out). If I were a scammer seeking to harvest people's details, I imagine I'd just go for the quickest option rather than emailing people individually.

Can you tell from the "Visitors" tab how she found you? For example, by searching for translators in a particular country/field etc.

[Edited at 2010-12-22 11:21 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well.... Dec 22, 2010

Peter Shortall wrote:

She's going to quite a lot of trouble to get your CV when there are plenty of ProZ members whose CVs are freely available for download straight from their profiles (including you, as has already been pointed out). If I were a scammer, I imagine I'd just go for the quickest option rather than emailing people individually.

Can you tell from the "Visitors" tab how she found you? For example, by searching for translators in a particular country/field etc.

I can tell my the headers in her email that she is in a time zone 4 hours ahead of me, i.e quite possible in the UAE as she says.

Her IP address is 92.96.230.233, which is the Emirates Telecommunications Corporation in UAE - so that part seems genuine enough.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Search details Dec 22, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

Peter Shortall wrote:

She's going to quite a lot of trouble to get your CV when there are plenty of ProZ members whose CVs are freely available for download straight from their profiles (including you, as has already been pointed out). If I were a scammer, I imagine I'd just go for the quickest option rather than emailing people individually.

I can tell my the headers in her email that she is in a time zone 4 hours ahead of me, i.e quite possible in the UAE as she says.

Her IP address is 92.96.230.233, which is the Emirates Telecommunications Corporation in UAE - so that part seems genuine enough.

Right, but the Visitors tab in your profile should tell you how she reached your profile. If she found you through the Directory, that tab should indicate which criteria she set for the search (native language, country, etc.) - or perhaps she found you via a search engine.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just dump them Dec 22, 2010

Click Delete!

Lisa Miles
Lisa Miles  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:04
German to English
+ ...
If in doubt throw it out Dec 22, 2010

If in doubt throw it out........

However on that note, I too am secondguessing myself....should we ever send our bank details to a company who is requesting them saying it is the only way they are able to pay us? Also seems fishy to me.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
I would have stopped sooner Dec 22, 2010

If I had received a request like that, I would probably have sent a reply similar to your first one and then simply taken no further action after receiving her second request for the CV.
To me it looks like: either an attempt at some kind of fraud or an approach from an agency that, to say the least, has a very strange way of conducting its business. Either way, I would not have communicated with them any more.
My 2 cents' worth (pence?)

Oliver

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam? (Agency refusing to give its details)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »