Got a funny email - Brazilian scam?
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:44
English to Russian
Dec 24, 2010

I haven't brushed up my Portuguese lately, but what I can gather from the email I received the senders are luring me into providing them with my pesonal data in order to get access to a deposit I have nothing to do with. But I think they aim at getting me answer their email in order to use the personal details in some sort of scam. Here's the text:
Segue em anexo o comprovante de Depósito em conta da sua Restituição de IR (imposto de renda) 2010, No valor de R$16.345,19;
Pedimos que confira seus dados e extrato e verifique se todas as informações e valores estão corretos
Atenciosamente,
Julia Pedrosa
Receita Federal

Receita Federal (receita.fazenda.gov.br)
Rua Augusta, nº 1582 - São Paulo - Brasil
T: 55.11-3227-2418/7610

Verificação de segurança no Download: Download Permitido

UNQUOTE

The return address is "Julia.Pedrosa@receita.fazenda.gov.br"
The funny thing is that it is addressed not to any definite person, but "Recipients".
Surely it is a scam?

Direct link Reply with quote

Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam Dec 24, 2010

It is a scam indeed - and an old one, by the way.

The Federal Tax Authority (Receita Federal) does not send such e-mails to taxpayers.

Regards,

Ivan

Kiwiland Bear  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 10:44
Russian to English
+ ...
Attachment Dec 24, 2010

I take it there was an attachment coming with the mail? Probably a good idea NOT to open it unless you have reasons to believe that it MAY be legit (like if you had customers in Brazil recently). But even then - better use a sandbox machine for that if you have one and/or make sure your AV is up to date and reliable.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, yes, there was. Dec 24, 2010

Kiwiland Bear wrote:

I take it there was an attachment coming with the mail? Probably a good idea NOT to open it unless you have reasons to believe that it MAY be legit (like if you had customers in Brazil recently). But even then - better use a sandbox machine for that if you have one and/or make sure your AV is up to date and reliable.

and I surely did not open it for exactly the reason you mention: I have no business in Brazil and certainly have never had any bank deposits in any financial institution of the country. But I marvel at the ingenuity of the scammers hoping that simple human curiosity will make you open the attachment (with a virus, no doubt).

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ivan, Dec 24, 2010

Ivan Rocha wrote:

It is a scam indeed - and an old one, by the way.

The Federal Tax Authority (Receita Federal) does not send such e-mails to taxpayers.

Regards,

Ivan

I thought as much (that it is a scam), but did not know it was an old one.

Best,

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a funny email - Brazilian scam?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search