Got a funny email - Brazilian scam?
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:50
English to Russian
Dec 24, 2010

I haven't brushed up my Portuguese lately, but what I can gather from the email I received the senders are luring me into providing them with my pesonal data in order to get access to a deposit I have nothing to do with. But I think they aim at getting me answer their email in order to use the personal details in some sort of scam. Here's the text:
Segue em anexo o comprovante de Depósito em conta da sua Restituição de IR (imposto de renda) 2010, No valor de R$16.345,19;
Pedimos que confira seus dados e extrato e verifique se todas as informações e valores estão corretos
Atenciosamente,
Julia Pedrosa
Receita Federal

Receita Federal (receita.fazenda.gov.br)
Rua Augusta, nº 1582 - São Paulo - Brasil
T: 55.11-3227-2418/7610

Verificação de segurança no Download: Download Permitido

UNQUOTE

The return address is "Julia.Pedrosa@receita.fazenda.gov.br"
The funny thing is that it is addressed not to any definite person, but "Recipients".
Surely it is a scam?

Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam Dec 24, 2010

It is a scam indeed - and an old one, by the way.

The Federal Tax Authority (Receita Federal) does not send such e-mails to taxpayers.

Regards,

Ivan

Kiwiland Bear  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 15:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Attachment Dec 24, 2010

I take it there was an attachment coming with the mail? Probably a good idea NOT to open it unless you have reasons to believe that it MAY be legit (like if you had customers in Brazil recently). But even then - better use a sandbox machine for that if you have one and/or make sure your AV is up to date and reliable.

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Oh, yes, there was. Dec 24, 2010

Kiwiland Bear wrote:

I take it there was an attachment coming with the mail? Probably a good idea NOT to open it unless you have reasons to believe that it MAY be legit (like if you had customers in Brazil recently). But even then - better use a sandbox machine for that if you have one and/or make sure your AV is up to date and reliable.

and I surely did not open it for exactly the reason you mention: I have no business in Brazil and certainly have never had any bank deposits in any financial institution of the country. But I marvel at the ingenuity of the scammers hoping that simple human curiosity will make you open the attachment (with a virus, no doubt).

Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ivan, Dec 24, 2010

Ivan Rocha wrote:

It is a scam indeed - and an old one, by the way.

The Federal Tax Authority (Receita Federal) does not send such e-mails to taxpayers.

Regards,

Ivan

I thought as much (that it is a scam), but did not know it was an old one.

Best,

Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a funny email - Brazilian scam?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search