"Translator scams and how to protect yourself from them", a new post on Translator T.O.
Thread poster: Jared Tabor

Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:25
SITE STAFF
Jan 25, 2011

Hello all,

I'd like to bring your attention to a new post on Translator T.O., ProZ.com's new blog. It is regarding translator scams and some basic information on risk management, and as such relates to the subject matter of this forum. I hope you find it useful.

http://blogproz.wordpress.com/

Jared

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Morgan
Local time: 21:25
Portuguese to English
Thanks Jan 25, 2011

Many thanks for posting this

teamcom  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
always request advance payment Jan 25, 2011

Hi,

I had not been victim to a scam yet, and always got a bit strange reactions from new clients when I refused to deliver the translations before I had received payment, but now I know I did the right thing. At least, when doing so, you may have lost a lot of precious time, but did not deliver any free translations. You can also see it as a free training ....

Today I sent in a proposal and was asked to start immediately with the job. The emailadress, website, phone number of the contact person all seemed right and I thought not to bother too much about advance payment and started translating. They did want me to send in translated text every two days so that the client could start with the layout - and I already told myself I should ask them to pay in advance, which I was going to do once I could estimate how much I did translate per day. Luckily, I did not send anything yet and was now informed that it was a large scale scam.

Bill Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:25
Member (2008)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for the post Jan 26, 2011

I had been a victim as well, translators must be cautious when accepting assignments, always try to check client's reputation!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translator scams and how to protect yourself from them", a new post on Translator T.O.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search