Hello everyone!

I received this e-mail a few days ago:

de Glasgow Translations
para glasgowtranslation@rediffmail.com
fecha 22 de enero de 2011 12:35
asunto Translation Job

Dear Translator,
We are currently in need of English to Spanish translators.If
you"ll like to work with us,Please indicate by Sending us your CV and let us know your rates and specialties.
Thanks
Regards,
Kate
Glasgow Translation Service INC.

--

I found it unusual for an agency to use a free e-mail account rather than a corporate one, and the fact that "Kate" did not give her last name nor her position in the agency, so I answered this e-mail asking for details about the agency. They never contacted me again.

There are other agencies with similar name in the BB in proz.com and in the web, but not this one.
I talked about it with my team of colleagues and we thought it might be helpful to post this thread in the forum.
If anyone knows anything (good or bad) about this agency, I'd appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Laura Bissio

[Edited at 2011-01-29 20:57 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
French to English
+ ...
Other thread Jan 29, 2011

If you run a Google search for "Glasgow Translation Service Inc", you'll find a thread on another website about this "company". Looks like it is indeed a scam. Apparently, another translator replied to them and quoted a rate of $300 per character - which they agreed to!

[Edited at 2011-01-29 22:50 GMT]

Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:55
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan 30, 2011

thank you, Peter, I hadn't seen it.
It is strange, I had already run a Google search and there were no results.

Best regards,

Laura

Gabriel Torem  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Most" possible scam Feb 2, 2011

I received the very same e-mail. It is strange that they agreed to my quotation and did not even ask for a translation test or whatever. I googled it and it does not exist. Moreover, I asked them if I could have the software price deducted from future payments, which they did not agree to. They seem to use this means to sell their software.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possible scam

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search