Scam: Richard Cole (Translator Needed)
Thread poster: Daniel Greuel

Daniel Greuel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2011

I (and evidently several others) received the following email from Richard Cole (colerichard58@yahoo.com):

Hello,
Am Richard Cole and am writing you concerning a translation
I want you services as a translator
Are you a part-time or full time translator
Are you ready to take a translation job now and how much do you charge per word
Document is attached to your mail and i want it ready in 3 weeks.
English to Spanish.

Awaits your response soon.

Regards,
Cole.

Inspection of the email headers showed that the real source was i.faziat@gmail.com, which I searched for and found here:
http://www.translationdirectory.com/scams/scam_e-mails_0049.php

Beware!

Thais Peiffer  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 12, 2011

Thanks for the warning! It's sad that we have to go through things like these when we're just trying to workicon_frown.gif

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:56
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Daniel Feb 12, 2011

There is a long thread about this scammer:
http://www.proz.com/topic/176165

Natalia

Claudio LR
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same received a couple of days ago Feb 12, 2011

I received the same a couple of days ago (same English mistakes...), the only difference is that it was called Antonio Cole...
It went directly to the bin....

schang
Local time: 01:56
Thanks for flagging it Feb 12, 2011

I received the same email today. Before I found this site, I was corresponding to the sender. The sender responded:

Hello,
Thanks for your quick response and let me know the price.This project am just starting its initiative of my my late wife Kim Cole so i want to fulfill her wish to safe lives of teenage using drug to create awareness on drug abuse.However,i want you to translate it and send it back to be through email,payment is through check so send me your name and address with phone number.Awaits your response soon.

Regards,
Cole.

Is it a real scam?

Nathalie Ohana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:56
English to French
Outsourcers with freemails Feb 13, 2011

I am extremely suspicious of outsourcers with freemail email addresses such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc.
I've had bad experiences with those and made it now part of my "risk management" policy to ignore them entirely.

Darko Kolega  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2009)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Antonio Cole Feb 18, 2011

He just called me by phone!

I told him I have cashed out his checks, so he's a bit sad about it - he "wants" his money ... hope he'll send me another checks as there are many poor kids here on Balkan who need real help and shelter

What a piece of scum.......I'm sure this one will vanish asap....

Name: WILLIAMS SMITH

Address: 37 PINDOU STREET

Postcode: 11252

State: ATHENS

Maybe someone could crash this piece of ***..

here is one of mails:

How are you doing today? Here's is the Proceed to any cash point out there or exchange shop,foreign or international bank around you follow the same procedure like this below is a reminder
Please understand you how to sign checks?

Here is the statement by the financier:

... Sign the checks on the line above your NAME and write your NAME when you receive it by airmail and if you've not received,it might experience delays because of the wide range fall of Europe snow .

... When you get to the bank, you sign on the line below your NAME and write the date in the presence of the CASHIER.

Control of Traveler's should be immediately cashed.

Please follow the instructions above, as soon as you receive the TRAVELER CHECKS.

You are advise to cash the EUR 2,000 and deduct your money then wire the difference bank and here is the name and address below where you will send the difference to when you have deduct your money through western union

Below the details for the transfer you to transfer money via Western Union nearest you.

Name: WILLIAMS SMITH

Address: 37 PINDOU STREET

Postcode: 11252

State: ATHENS

After doing this, you are required to send an e-mail to me containing the details necessary to collect the money:

1 ..... The exact amount you sent (NOTE: The Western Union fee should be deducted from the money is sent).

2 ..... Name and address you use to send it.

3 ..... Money Transfer Control Number - MTCN

Thanks for your understanding and awaiting for your earlier response.

Best Regards

What a sick/stupid scummer!

Croatia
Member (2009)
German to Croatian
+ ...
his phone number is +306992830937 Feb 18, 2011

maybe someone could make something out of this number in Greece or else...as from here in Croatia it will not be possible...

so if you're or know somebody in Greece/Ethens, maybe we can put an end to this piece of rubbish....

Cheers!

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
English to Japanese
+ ...
Better safe than sorry. Feb 18, 2011

Nathalie Ohana wrote:

I am extremely suspicious of outsourcers with freemail email addresses such as Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail etc.
I've had bad experiences with those and made it now part of my "risk management" policy to ignore them entirely.

I completely agree with Nathalie. An agency using a freemail account as their first preference would be very fishy. I know that some agencies have alternate free email addresses besides their corporate accounts for their own reasons, like, when they're out of their office and want to check their incoming mails at home or at a cafe with a notebook during a business trip. But that's a different story here, and I too would be cautious replying to an unknown outsourcer/agency/client who would use a freemail address account to get in touch with me.

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
ProZ support Feb 18, 2011

I reported a highly suspect email I received a couple of days ago:

"Advertisement/Spam instant message received from user: [XXXX]
Email subject: searching for Japanese
Body:
Hi Barbara Finch
I have a French file which needs to be translated into English. Do you have interesting."

My support ticket was just closed with the comment:
"I see that you have received a job offer via profile message.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if I can help you with anything else."

I commented:
"I reported this as spam because it didn't look like a genuine job offer." but received no response.

I did feel that ProZ admin should be taking this stuff more seriously.

lelalo
what to do with cheques? Feb 21, 2011

Darko Kolega wrote:

I told him I have cashed out his checks, so he's a bit sad about it - he "wants" his money ... hope he'll send me another checks as there are many poor kids here on Balkan who need real help and shelter

Hi! I also got the cheques from him! Actually the post stamps were Greek and the internet email tracer says that the emails were actually sent from Nigeria, and he gave me his address in London.
I am interested what you did with the cheques. You did not go to the police?
I'm afraid I will not be able to get rid of him now...
I am thinking of getting some excuse and return the cheques to him, I don't want to make him angry since he has got my address :/

Virginia Navascues  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
now he calls himself red cole Feb 22, 2011

Hi:

I just got an email from this address:

fgreene17@gmail.com; en nombre de; Red Cole [redcole60@yahoo.com]

The text was:

Hello,

This organization seeks applications from linguists (BA Honors or equivalent or mother tongue). You will be translating for us and the document will be email to you.Good spoken and written English; A genuine love of languages and Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines; Flexible attitude to work,good team player and willing to take on responsibility; Self-discipline and the ability to concentrate for long periods,get back if you are available for translation job and let me know your rate.

Regards,
Cole.

Red Cole
2124 Singleton St.
Indianapolis,
IN 46203
USA.

As it looked suspicious, I checked it out and found this page. Thanks for the timely warnings!

I already fell for an e-mail from one Dave Jordan, who actually sent me a check for 2000 pounds in the hopes I would cash it and send him the "difference" -which is how these geeks operate. Fortunately, I found out in time it was a scam (I wouldn't have complied anyway, it was looking stranger and stranger!)

Beware!

Joseph Jeffries (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:56
French to English
+ ...
Very wise Feb 22, 2011

Nathalie Ohana wrote:

I take exactly the same attitude - it's really not worth the risk. I know it's very tempting to reply to every single message when you're first starting out as a translator, but 'outsourcers' like this do not deserve a second glance. Just put the email in the dustbin and move on.

Joe

Croatia
Member (2009)
German to Croatian
+ ...
checks Feb 22, 2011

lelalo wrote:

Darko Kolega wrote:

Hi! I also got the cheques from him! Actually the post stamps were Greek and the internet email tracer says that the emails were actually sent from Nigeria, and he gave me his address in London.
I am interested what you did with the cheques. You did not go to the police?
I'm afraid I will not be able to get rid of him now...
I am thinking of getting some excuse and return the cheques to him, I don't want to make him angry since he has got my address :/

I played his game for 2 weeks: told him I'm busy, found a small bank and have cashed only 1000 €. In the meantime I went to police and handed them his checks over (they will continue to work internaitional on this case; So, he mailed me each day many times thinking I have money to send; One morning he called me in pretty engry manner...so I told him I have money but cannot send it because bank wanted some data about his organisation for helping poor kids (that was his basic activity - his wife Kim Cole guides an organisation for poor chidren???)

SO, I told him I'll use "his" 1000€ to help poor kids here in Croatia and that I'll be thankful if he could send me more checks.....he cannot believe what I said and tried to convince me that this money they need asap - so I refused and he ended te.call + never mailed/called back)

So, you can do what you like but do min 2 tings:

1. hand over checks to nearest police station (don't try to use checks as you'll be punished for fraud)
2. tell him you'll translate it for free! - this is what he doesn't like at all! (i told him -as he's doing a great job in helping poor kids - I'll gladly do it translate it for free!)

Take care & be good!

Darko

Paola Carbonetto  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Red Cole TRANSLATOR NEEDED Feb 22, 2011

Same scam received today by Red Cole. Beware!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Richard Cole (Translator Needed)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search