Caroline Hammer
Caroline Hammer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:12
English to French
+ ...
Mar 14, 2011

Hello all,

I have been contacted by a Mr. John Burroughs with a gmail address offering the translation of an article on child trafficking. He offered a 50% down payment by check. When I asked him to pay by wire transfer because due to the growing presence of stolen or counterfeit checks for payment, I no longer accepted checks, he refused by saying that he needed to pay by check in order to "protect my self" (which I did not understand: exactly in what way is a wire transfer more u
... See more
Hello all,

I have been contacted by a Mr. John Burroughs with a gmail address offering the translation of an article on child trafficking. He offered a 50% down payment by check. When I asked him to pay by wire transfer because due to the growing presence of stolen or counterfeit checks for payment, I no longer accepted checks, he refused by saying that he needed to pay by check in order to "protect my self" (which I did not understand: exactly in what way is a wire transfer more unsafe than a check?). Now, this looks like the typical stolen/counterfeit check scam, but I wanted to check if anyone had received a similar message. Thank you.
Collapse

Jens Lober
Jens Lober  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
It is a scam ... Mar 14, 2011

I recieved the same e-mail a few weeks back and found a site with a list of similar scams from the same email address and similar senders. Just ignore it and don't spend anymore time on it.

/Jens

Tanya Toneva
Tanya Toneva  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:12
Member (2011)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Definitely a scam Mar 14, 2011

Agree with Jens - don't waste anymore of your time with it - you can be sure it's a scam. I've seen many of these recently, and judging by what you've described here it's the exact same scheme they seem to be using recently...
Please check my a
... See more
Agree with Jens - don't waste anymore of your time with it - you can be sure it's a scam. I've seen many of these recently, and judging by what you've described here it's the exact same scheme they seem to be using recently...
Please check my article on this topic, you might find it useful: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3227/1/How-to-recognize-a-translation-job-scam

Hope I have been of help!:)

Greetings,
Tanya
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It is definitely SCAM Mar 14, 2011

Yes, I received the same offer only from a different "outsourcer" a couple of months ago.
No company website or email address, no record whatsoever, not even on Google.

Jens is right, just ignore it and move on.

Federico Moncini
Federico Moncini
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
John Burroughs' scam Mar 14, 2011

It is a scam. I received it two days ago. With the same indications, a long dead time delivery, payment only by cheque.. the name doesn't exist on Google web search, but it refers to only an American naturalist died in 1921!... This is not an outsourcer or a translation agency! Be careful and just ignore it!

Many greetings,

Federico

Giuseppe Bellone
Giuseppe Bellone
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Scam indeed Mar 14, 2011

Several months ago I received something similar. As soon as I replied to the job offer he said that I really was the right person he would choose. Which immediately made some suspects come to my mind!! Noone would answer that way!
The "kind" client-to-be even wanted my personal data at once to issue the "check".
I obviously said NO and asked for more information first, HIS information, because that kind of request sounded rather strange to me.
Obviously I didn't receive any a
... See more
Several months ago I received something similar. As soon as I replied to the job offer he said that I really was the right person he would choose. Which immediately made some suspects come to my mind!! Noone would answer that way!
The "kind" client-to-be even wanted my personal data at once to issue the "check".
I obviously said NO and asked for more information first, HIS information, because that kind of request sounded rather strange to me.
Obviously I didn't receive any answer, BUT just to play my part well I pretended that some kind of error might have happen and re-sent my request for HIS information.
Result: he simply said that it was too late (although I had replied immediately!!) and the translation (a very simple one, I must say) had already been given to another translator.
Which was not true at all!!
We really have to be careful!
Kind regards,
Beppe
Collapse

Caroline Hammer
Caroline Hammer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 23, 2011

Thanks to all

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clearly scam Mar 23, 2011

Just stop answering this person's emails and carry on with your life!
Good luck!

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda
María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
SCAM? Apr 1, 2011

I did receive the same information but today I have received a cheque from HSBC / UK...What do I do?? Is there anything very very strange here?

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
File it where it belongs... Apr 2, 2011

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda wrote:

I did receive the same information but today I have received a cheque from HSBC / UK...What do I do?? Is there anything very very strange here?

If you pay it into your bank it will bounce. Bin it!

English to Portuguese
+ ...
1600 Pounds Apr 2, 2011

Job was € 308 and he sends 1600 Pounds???????

[Edited at 2011-04-02 10:57 GMT]

English to Portuguese
+ ...
Email received today Apr 2, 2011

""
I am mailing to let you know that the cheque has been finnally mailed to your address as provided, The cheque was issued and mailed to you by an investor who happens to be the sponsor of the workshop. So kindly get me informed as soon as you have the payment.

Thanks for the co-operation and understanding,
JOHN BURROUGHS
36 Orchard Close,
North Kensington,
London, W10 5RB.
United Kingdom~

""

?????????

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Go to an HSBC branch Apr 2, 2011

María Leonor Acevedo-Miranda wrote:

HSBC has so boldly and so often adverstised (at least on Brazilian TV) that if you are a client of theirs anywhere in the world, you are their client in each and every agency they have worldwide, that you could assume that taking that check to the nearest HSBC branch would let you either walk out with cash or have solid reasons to take it to the Interpol.

Anne-Lotta (X)
Anne-Lotta (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
travellers cheques? Apr 3, 2011

Hello - I'm signed up by a client who claims to pay only in travelers cheques. He send said he accidentally issued the cheques too high - 3000USD instead of 1400 and asked me that when the cheque arrives to cash it in and to send him the overpayment? That has got to be a scam too?!?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:12
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Scam? Definitely! Apr 3, 2011

Anne-Lotta wrote:
Hello - I'm signed up by a client who claims to pay only in travelers cheques. He send said he accidentally issued the cheques too high - 3000USD instead of 1400 and asked me that when the cheque arrives to cash it in and to send him the overpayment? That has got to be a scam too?!?

Chances are the travellers' checks are lost or stolen. How can one get TCs 'accidentally' issued for a higher amount? They've gotta pay cash or equivalent for them!

Another thing, they mention "cheques
", plural. So at least two of them. Let's assume equal amounts, 2 x $1,500. Why don't they send you one of the $1,500 check and cash the other themselves?

It's difficult to figure how $3,000 in TCs can be issued in more than one check, and yet it's impossible to group part of these checks to assemble a lesser amount, closer to $1,400, than the full $3K.

If the checks are not LOS, it must be some money laundering scheme.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible check scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »