Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:18
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2011

Hi all,

I received yesterday an email from a lady called Margarita Cole from a Yahoo email account. This woman said that she published an offer in ProZ on Monday but I cannot find her anywhere. Are any of you in the same situation?
She has offered me to translate a 15k text but everything has been done in a very weird manner.

Thanks in advance
Marina

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
I think so Apr 15, 2011

Hi Marina,
I haven't received the email, but someone I follow on Twitter did. I would say it's a scam, so be careful.
Regards,

Livia

Clémence Delmas
Clémence Delmas  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
weird Apr 15, 2011

Hi Marina,
I had sent a quote for her translation job (http://www.proz.com/job/519277, not online anymore) and she wrote me this morning. Anyway, I also do not feel comfortable about her: yahoo address, weird formulation, no postal address, no phone number... I also do not feel comfortable about the content of the text, it sounds rather polemical/political, not really historical. I will not answer a
... See more
Hi Marina,
I had sent a quote for her translation job (http://www.proz.com/job/519277, not online anymore) and she wrote me this morning. Anyway, I also do not feel comfortable about her: yahoo address, weird formulation, no postal address, no phone number... I also do not feel comfortable about the content of the text, it sounds rather polemical/political, not really historical. I will not answer and see if she writes me again.
Collapse

Naima Bautista Rim
Naima Bautista Rim  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I recieved it too!!! Apr 15, 2011

Hi Marina,

She wrote me in the morning as well.
I couldn't find her anywhere too and I don't feel comfortable about her and about the fact that the job translation is not online anymore.
I didn't answer, I'll wait but I think it's a scam.

Rergards,

Naima

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
I am almost sure it is a scam Apr 15, 2011

Hi,

I saw the ad on April 11; it was job #519277, from an individual with a yahoo.co.uk account, something to see with French Polynesia............
No agency, no address, no phone number..no paiement method..

some strange things: the delivery deadline was Sept 1, the word count was supposed to be in the target langage, the quoting deadline was Jul 11, 2011..

I warned the Proz support about that. They probably removed the ad.

But I answer
... See more
Hi,

I saw the ad on April 11; it was job #519277, from an individual with a yahoo.co.uk account, something to see with French Polynesia............
No agency, no address, no phone number..no paiement method..

some strange things: the delivery deadline was Sept 1, the word count was supposed to be in the target langage, the quoting deadline was Jul 11, 2011..

I warned the Proz support about that. They probably removed the ad.

But I answered the ad before.

I received that yesterday with the text, the word count was false (-20%):

" How are you doing today?fine i presumed.I ought to have get back to you earlier than this time,it was due to normal circumstances.
I will want you to take a look at this project,is it what you capable of doing?.I have a lot of projects at hand,this is one of it and the way you handle it will determine if you would be choose later on for another project.I will like to know you charges per word? and total cost? How would you like to be paid? How long will it take to finish the project?

I will be waiting to hear from you soon,

Regards,"

I 'll stop talking with this person!

Have a good day!

Marie
Collapse

Rocío Gómez
Rocío Gómez  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to Spanish
+ ...
[email protected] Apr 15, 2011

Dear all:

I have received exactly the same e-mail:

How are you doing today?fine i presumed.I ought to have get back to you earlier than this time,it was due to normal circumstances.
I will want you to take a look at this project,is it what you capable of doing?.I have a lot of projects at hand,this is one of it and the way you handle it will determine if you would be choose later on for another project.I will like to know you charges per word? and total cost?
... See more
Dear all:

I have received exactly the same e-mail:

How are you doing today?fine i presumed.I ought to have get back to you earlier than this time,it was due to normal circumstances.
I will want you to take a look at this project,is it what you capable of doing?.I have a lot of projects at hand,this is one of it and the way you handle it will determine if you would be choose later on for another project.I will like to know you charges per word? and total cost? How would you like to be paid? How long will it take to finish the project?

I will be waiting to hear from you soon,

Regards,

Margarita Cole

I agree with you that the style is not the more adecuate. I don't trust her intentions. SO I won't even answer.

Have a nice Friday.

Regards,

Rocío.
Collapse

Rodolfo Peña
Rodolfo Peña  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Folks, this is more than likely a scam... Apr 15, 2011

I received the same email as some of you. I have had experience with these folks before. They are NOT in the UK. Apparently, they are in Spain, according to the Fraud department at the bank supposedly issuing the checks.

The scam works like this: they send you a file with a large word count. You quote a price and they send you a check or "traveler's checks" for twice the amount "by mistake". You are supposed to cash the check or checks and then send back the portion that they "over
... See more
I received the same email as some of you. I have had experience with these folks before. They are NOT in the UK. Apparently, they are in Spain, according to the Fraud department at the bank supposedly issuing the checks.

The scam works like this: they send you a file with a large word count. You quote a price and they send you a check or "traveler's checks" for twice the amount "by mistake". You are supposed to cash the check or checks and then send back the portion that they "overpaid" you.

I sent the checks to the "issuing" bank and they replied that they were forged, probably printed somewhere not in Europe. The concerned bank is aware of this gang of thieves and has alerted the authorities.

They rely on you cashing their bad checks so be careful. BTW, the person that posted the "job" keeps changing addresses: first it was Hotmail and now it is Yahoo.

Regards,
Rodofo
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:18
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
To sum it up, Apr 15, 2011

Rodolfo Peña wrote:

The scam works like this: they send you a file with a large word count. You quote a price and they send you a check or "traveler's checks" for twice the amount "by mistake". You are supposed to cash the check or checks and then send back the portion that they "overpaid" you.

I sent the checks to the "issuing" bank and they replied that they were forged, probably printed somewhere not in Europe. The concerned bank is aware of this gang of thieves and has alerted the authorities.

They rely on you cashing their bad checks so be careful. BTW, the person that posted the "job" keeps changing addresses: first it was Hotmail and now it is Yahoo.

Regards,
Rodofo

this seems to be the "good ole" scam reported a zillion times on the Proz forum and other translation sites and portals.

Marina Puertas
Marina Puertas  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DEFINITELY, A SCAM Apr 15, 2011

I talked to other Spanish colleagues and we all have the same text for translation. Unfortunately, this scam could be stopped on time.

Thanks all for your quick answers
Marina

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
When you receive a message from ProZ.com Apr 15, 2011

You have there the IP address of the sender.

Using this IP address you can trace where is the the sender located.

Signe Golly
Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Morgan Cole Apr 15, 2011

Sounds like Margarita is a close relative of our old "friend" Morgan Cole. Try searching that name in the forums and see if any of it sounds familiar

Beatriz Vidal
Beatriz Vidal  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think it's a scam too Apr 15, 2011

I received the same e mail two days ago and being honest, I also found it strange but I answered sending my cv, I am too trusting... Today I was searching for information about "Margarita" and I found this thread.

One question, now that I have already sent my cv with all my data, what is that person going to do with them?

Regards

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:18
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Potential worst case scenarios Apr 15, 2011

Beatriz Vidal wrote:

I received the same e mail two days ago and being honest, I also found it strange but I answered sending my cv, I am too trusting... Today I was searching for information about "Margarita" and I found this thread.

One question, now that I have already sent my cv with all my data, what is that person going to do with them?

Regards

There are several cases which one could come up with:

a) This so-called Margarita may ask you to do a job (mandatory pro-bono, of course, in the sense that s/he is trying to squeeze some money out of you).
b) This person could impersonate you, by copying altered CVs with all your vital information on it with a freemail address to translation companies to get some jobs.
or wost of all,
c) Pretending to be you and "outsource" jobs to other service providers using your CV with the intention to scam people (since using a Beatriz Vidal's name and vital statistics, the CV would really look genuine).

Carlota Gurt Daví (X)
Carlota Gurt Daví (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
Me too! And I also sent CV Apr 16, 2011

I also received Margarita's email and found it weird but answered anyway, asking for an avdanced payment. Today she just wrote me:

"Dear Carlota,

I really appreciate your prompt message and willingness to be part of my project,i really appreciate it.My info was hidden publicly on Proz and i'm a private individual. I am okay with the said cost that seems fair enough,for now i will make provision for 50% of your asking price immediately so as to prevent both parties f
... See more
I also received Margarita's email and found it weird but answered anyway, asking for an avdanced payment. Today she just wrote me:

"Dear Carlota,

I really appreciate your prompt message and willingness to be part of my project,i really appreciate it.My info was hidden publicly on Proz and i'm a private individual. I am okay with the said cost that seems fair enough,for now i will make provision for 50% of your asking price immediately so as to prevent both parties from being fraud as i'm not comfortable given out cash as we haven't done something in the past,i believe you understand my concern.So when you finished the project,the rest will be forward to you before you e-mail the project to me.It will be in form of literary.

However,i will like to have the Name,Address & Phone Number you would want my associate near you to mail the payment (Certified Cheque) to you as soon as possible or would you prefer Bank to Bank Transfer (Wire) and i will want the job to be done few days before the deadline. I wouldn't like you to rush my project and make sure you read it all over again for perfection after completion,i mean proofreading.And as soon it's ready for collection,the delivery of the project will be by sending the documents via e-mail as an attachment.Like i said,i have a lot of projects at hand,the way you handle this will determine if you would be chosen for the next assignment.I am person that likes sincerity and transparency in everything i'm doing.

Have a wonderful day,

Best regards,

Margarita Cole"

I am so glad I found this thread! I was still doubting what to do.
I also sent her my CV but this shouldn't be a problem (she could get it anyway in the Proz website), so I don't see the difference.
Regards,
Carlota
Collapse

Nadège Colin
Nadège Colin
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
it is a scam Apr 16, 2011

I also sent mi CV a few days ago and received the same weird message. And now, I have just received the same message as Carlota:

Dear Nadege,

I really appreciate your prompt message and willingness to be part of my project,i really appreciate it.I am okay with the said cost that seems fair enough,for now i will make provision for 50% of your asking price immediately so as to prevent both parties from being fraud as i'm not comfortable given out cash as we haven't don
... See more
I also sent mi CV a few days ago and received the same weird message. And now, I have just received the same message as Carlota:

Dear Nadege,

I really appreciate your prompt message and willingness to be part of my project,i really appreciate it.I am okay with the said cost that seems fair enough,for now i will make provision for 50% of your asking price immediately so as to prevent both parties from being fraud as i'm not comfortable given out cash as we haven't done something in the past,i believe you understand my concern.So when you finished the project,the rest will be forward to you before you e-mail the project to me.It will be in form of literary.

However,i will like to have the Name,Address & Phone Number you would want my associate near you to mail the payment (Certified Cheque) to you as soon as possible or would you prefer Bank to Bank Transfer (Wire) and i will want the job to be done few days before the deadline. I wouldn't like you to rush my project and make sure you read it all over again for perfection after completion,i mean proofreading.And as soon it's ready for collection,the delivery of the project will be by sending the documents via e-mail as an attachment.Like i said,i have a lot of projects at hand,the way you handle this will determine if you would be chosen for the next assignment.I am person that likes sincerity and transparency in everything i'm doing.

Have a wonderful day,

Best regards,

Margarita Cole

The offer is definitively a scam!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could this be a scam?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »