Rate Phishing & CV Hoarding
Thread poster: Bryan Crumpler

Bryan Crumpler  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:06
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2011

Lately, I'm starting to suspect a lot of rate phishing and CV hoarding going on.

The trend goes something like this:

Client: 12:07 GMT+1

Hi, we have a large project from Ditzo to Dumbo for XXX words due in YYY days and need to split the project between multiple translators. Please send me your availability, CV, and rates ASAP!

Reply: 12:12 GMT+1

Thank you for contacting me. I am available. My CV is attached. Rates are $... See more
Lately, I'm starting to suspect a lot of rate phishing and CV hoarding going on.

The trend goes something like this:

Client: 12:07 GMT+1

Hi, we have a large project from Ditzo to Dumbo for XXX words due in YYY days and need to split the project between multiple translators. Please send me your availability, CV, and rates ASAP!

Reply: 12:12 GMT+1

Thank you for contacting me. I am available. My CV is attached. Rates are $$$ per word. I will be able to assist with XYZ words by the deadline.

Client: 12:37 GMT+1

I am sorry, but we have already assigned the job to other suppliers, but we'd like to enter you into our database. Please fill out these 4 forms and contracts, signed and dated and send them back to us.

[The End]

After 10 years in the business, I have come to realize that clients like this... are probably doing one or more of the following:

1) Hoarding you into their database for statistics' sake
2) Polling rates to see what they can get away with charging
3) Polling rates to see how little they can get away with paying
4) Scanning your client base to try stealing your business
5) Trying to get you to quickly sign agreements of some type, often designed to be highly and often unfairly in their favor

And the end result is that they still never send you any work.

Does anyone bother with these types of clients?
Collapse

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:06
English to Russian
+ ...
Not a scam, but I probably wouldn't bother Apr 15, 2011

Personally, I don't mind sending out my CV and giving my rate, but I always mention that it's a standard rate without any commitments, and I would like to see the original before giving a precise quote.
On the other hand, it's an empirical fact that agencies asking you to fill numerous forms, sign a contract in advance, etc., are very unlikely to send you any reasonable jobs. With most serious clients in my life, forms were short and I didn't have to send them until the agency actually ha
... See more
Personally, I don't mind sending out my CV and giving my rate, but I always mention that it's a standard rate without any commitments, and I would like to see the original before giving a precise quote.
On the other hand, it's an empirical fact that agencies asking you to fill numerous forms, sign a contract in advance, etc., are very unlikely to send you any reasonable jobs. With most serious clients in my life, forms were short and I didn't have to send them until the agency actually had a job for me - and sometimes even until invoicing.
Collapse

Ashutosh Mitra  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:36
Member (2011)
English to Hindi
+ ...
This is the ideal practice and we must follow the same way. Apr 15, 2011

Anton Konashenok wrote:

On the other hand, it's an empirical fact that agencies asking you to fill numerous forms, sign a contract in advance, etc., are very unlikely to send you any reasonable jobs. With most serious clients in my life, forms were short and I didn't have to send them until the agency actually had a job for me - and sometimes even until invoicing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Alejandro Cavalitto[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate Phishing & CV Hoarding

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search